Wifi package Wind Spirit FP

Petoonya

I recently purchased an option from http://www.tahitiwifi.com Unfortunately I am not traveling until Aug 17 so I cannot report on it except that it was easy to order online, they have pickup and drop off at the airport as well as some of the larger hotels. Their customer service response is very timely if you want to contact them prior to ordering with any questions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We went ahead about bought it, which we never do. T-Mobile simple choice doesn't work in FP and all the local plans we found just sounded like a lot of trouble and, after all, we'll be on vacation!

If you order it before boarding you get multiple devices included, which is not true when you buy onboard. Our phones support WiFi calling and texts so there should be no charges (as long I remember to turn off the data roaming (LOL))

It wasn't cheap but one less thing to worry about.

Thanks Milepig :)

Will buy in advance too. Our trip isn't until November so will wait til then. Good to know that it's better to get in advance. The line at the airport should be long with a lot of the 300 people onboard the ATN flight looking for the same thing. Please let us know how that went for you.

Good day,

In July 2017, we went to Vini (cell phone Co.) downtown Papeete and bought a SIM card and a visitor data plan. It worked reasonably well anywhere we went (Moorea, Reatea, Bora Bora, etc. No phone, just data. Vodafone also has a store.

Details:

SIM card, 27 mins local call, 200 Mb data - 850 FPX (or about 16$US): http://www.vini.pf/mobile/offres-prepayees/vinicard

Recharge card: 2000fpx (40$) - 500 Mb data (we bought 2)

It was enough for the 20 days we were in Polynesia as we only did Hotmail and FB.

Store location: http://www.vini.pf/points-de-vente

All site in French so use Google Translate.

Cheers everyone and have a nice trip

Thanks Milepig :)

Will buy in advance too. Our trip isn't until November so will wait til then. Good to know that it's better to get in advance. The line at the airport should be long with a lot of the 300 people onboard the ATN flight looking for the same thing. Please let us know how that went for you.

Are you on the sailing on the 15th?

No....doing the 17 day on the 26th. Sorry, always like to meet people before boarding. Keep that ship beautiful for us and have a wonderful time :)

Thank you Dandee.

Petoonya - I ordered mine in advance online and will pick up at the airport the night we arrive on 8-19. It might be optimism on my part thinking there might be an express line for pickup only [emoji848]but I will try to remember to post back regarding how long the lines were at the airport store. We opted to go this route since we come in on the late evening flight on a Saturday night and I read several places that store/shop hours are very limited on Sundays in Papeete (Sunday is when we board the shop also).

Thanks so much Zumba Cruiser. I'll plan on ordering online too when they become available for the time we cruise. I'll look for your review especially (!), but watch for your report on how Tahiti Wifi works out. We also fly in on that late flight, and cruise out the next day. Staying at a B&B that night we get in and the proprietor is nicely picking us up at the airport. I dread the thought of holding him up if there's a long line to pick up the router.

Your cruise is coming up FAST- you must be very excited. Our first Tahiti cruise was in late August and the weather could not have been more perfect. I'll be eager to hear your report. Have a fantastic time.

Thanks so much Zumba Cruiser. I'll plan on ordering online too when they become available for the time we cruise. I'll look for your review especially (!), but watch for your report on how Tahiti Wifi works out. We also fly in on that late flight, and cruise out the next day. Staying at a B&B that night we get in and the proprietor is nicely picking us up at the airport. I dread the thought of holding him up if there's a long line to pick up the router.

Your cruise is coming up FAST- you must be very excited. Our first Tahiti cruise was in late August and the weather could not have been more perfect. I'll be eager to hear your report. Have a fantastic time.

Thanks Petoonya - and yes we are hoping for beautiful weather - I am a bit tired of the rain and humidity we are having here in the Northeast. I feel like we are living in Florida now so clear skies and that gorgeous blue water will be greatly appreciated!

Seem to remember reading in a few different places that buying an internet package for FP is not worth it. Heard it recommended that it's best to do your wifi business in port. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Went on this cruise last September. Ended up posting a port-by-port guide as to where to access internet for free (or for no additional charge by purchasing food or beverage from a local business). Do a word search for "internet" on the thread finder and I think you may find it. Quality was good enough for e-mail.

Heard from others who went on this cruise and purchased the optional internet package that it was terrible. Several passengers stated that after complaining, they were able to get their money back from W/S. FWIW.

Heard shortly thereafter that on board internet access was supposed to be included as a cruise amenity on all 2018 cruises. Yet have seen nowhere that this is in fact the case. Going on this same cruise again in about a month and after checking in at the W/S web site, we do not see an "add on" internet package available for purchase. So now I'm questioning.

Maybe someone else knows whether on board internet access is available at no additional charge on this cruise? Notwithstanding, it is likely not to meet your expectations. But what the heck? It's Tahiti!

Went on this cruise last September. Ended up posting a port-by-port guide as to where to access internet for free (or for no additional charge by purchasing food or beverage from a local business). Do a word search for "internet" on the thread finder and I think you may find it. Quality was good enough for e-mail.

Heard from others who went on this cruise and purchased the optional internet package that it was terrible. Several passengers stated that after complaining, they were able to get their money back from W/S. FWIW.

Heard shortly thereafter that on board internet access was supposed to be included as a cruise amenity on all 2018 cruises. Yet have seen nowhere that this is in fact the case. Going on this same cruise again in about a month and after checking in at the W/S web site, we do not see an "add on" internet package available for purchase. So now I'm questioning.

Maybe someone else knows whether on board internet access is available at no additional charge on this cruise? Notwithstanding, it is likely not to meet your expectations. But what the heck? It's Tahiti!

Not sure about your sailing in September but ours begins on 8-19 and internet is NOT included but you could purchase it when I looked into it a month or so ago. Due to the bad reviews on the ship supplied internet access we opted to purchase a hot spot from the company I mentioned a few posts ago. Normally I would not bother however with my 90 year old MIL in and out of the hospital within the past two months and a new grandbaby right about the time of our return, we decided to be somewhat connected.

I’m not expecting lighting speed accees but also do not want to be wasring rime looking for a free hotspot when we are in port so I’m hoping the company we went with will be all we need. I’ll post a review on it when we return the first week in September.