Some questions re zoom lenses & dust on sensor, & sensor cleaning

I often use a zoom lens on my mirrorless cameras (Sony a6000 and a6300), and periodically have dust on the sensor. I know that zooms contribute to the dust problem because of their "sucking" action pulling dust in to the camera. So my first question is whether there is any way to minimize this problem when using a zoom lens.

My second question is related to sensor cleaning. I have a Giotto Rocket Blower and am totally comfortable using it. To date, it has successfully cleaned the visible dust I've encountered on my sensors. But I worry that one of these days, I'll have some persistent piece of dust that will require a brush to remove. There are some excellent threads on here about that next stage of sensor cleaning and what to use (I believe Dave/Pierces recommended the Arctic Butterfly), but those threads are fairly old, so I wanted to see what folks recommend now for that next step when the Rocket Blower won't get the dust off. Still the Arctic Butterfly, or is there a new/better kid on the block, or even a different technology for (dry) cleaning?

(Having never used a sensor cleaning brush, the thought makes me a little bit uneasy...)

And, since I'm asking, is there any reason not to set my cameras to do the auto clean on shut down, or just use that feature when I see dust?

Thanks as always for any advice.

Zoom lens equals dust pump. Sooo...

The Arctic Butterfly is an efficient sensor brush but any sensor brush or soft sensor specific swab will do. Swabs are best wet but can be used gently when dry. If the reluctant spot smears, you just switch to wet. Easy does it is the rule but if done properly with reasonable care, it's not even close to the rocket surgery or brain science people think it as.

FYI, sensor auto cleaning will reduce the frequency of manual dust removal but it will be necessary eventually.

Dave

If you feel confident, there are a variety of do-it-yourself wet sensor cleaning kits available. Typically they include single use lint free swabs and a bottle of cleaning solution. You can check B&H or Adorama for these.

The newest “kid on the block” is the gel stick cleaning system. Apparently this is what some of the manufacturers use when you send your cameras back for sensor cleaning. I’ve not used them yet myself but have watched the tutorial videos (and actually will be receiving two for my birthday tomorrow). The brand name is Eyelead and they run $40-$50 each. The gel stick can be used many times provided that you clean them between uses using the included materials.

What I like about the gel system is that it doesn’t have the risk of dragging an abrasive spec of dirt across the sensor like the traditional wet swabs would. With the gel stick you just set it down onto the sensor and then gently lift the dust off.

My only concern would be how adherent the gel is onto the sensor surface and if it would afffect any of the IBIS camera systems.

Zoom lens equals dust pump. Sooo...

The Arctic Butterfly is an efficient sensor brush but any sensor brush or soft sensor specific swab will do. Swabs are best wet but can be used gently when dry. If the reluctant spot smears, you just switch to wet. Easy does it is the rule but if done properly with reasonable care, it's not even close to the rocket surgery or brain science people think it as.

FYI, sensor auto cleaning will reduce the frequency of manual dust removal but it will be necessary eventually.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I've been reading the reviews of the Arctic Butterfly on B&H; really all over the map. Some say it does what it should, but a bunch of folks report that it is poorly made, that it cracks, and that the brush flies out of the handle when you try to spin it. (Are they using it incorrectly? This thing costs more than $100...)

If you feel confident, there are a variety of do-it-yourself wet sensor cleaning kits available. Typically they include single use lint free swabs and a bottle of cleaning solution. You can check B&H or Adorama for these.

The newest “kid on the block” is the gel stick cleaning system. Apparently this is what some of the manufacturers use when you send your cameras back for sensor cleaning. I’ve not used them yet myself but have watched the tutorial videos (and actually will be receiving two for my birthday tomorrow). The brand name is Eyelead and they run $40-$50 each. The gel stick can be used many times provided that you clean them between uses using the included materials.

What I like about the gel system is that it doesn’t have the risk of dragging an abrasive spec of dirt across the sensor like the traditional wet swabs would. With the gel stick you just set it down onto the sensor and then gently lift the dust off.

My only concern would be how adherent the gel is onto the sensor surface and if it would afffect any of the IBIS camera systems.

Thank you and Happy Birthday!

I was reading about the gel stick. Some folks (e.g. the person who posted the link below) have had problems with them on Sonys... I will definitely want to do some more research.

http://talkingtree.org/warning-avoid-eyelead-gel-sticks-sony-a7-cameras-part-1/

Thanks again and good luck with the gel stick!

Thanks Dave. I've been reading the reviews of the Arctic Butterfly on B&H; really all over the map. Some say it does what it should, but a bunch of folks report that it is poorly made, that it cracks, and that the brush flies out of the handle when you try to spin it. (Are they using it incorrectly? This thing costs more than $100...)

I bought mine just after I bought my Minolta 7D back in 2006 and have been using it regularly ever since. I've had to replace the brush once when it accidentally became contaminated with oil but other than the occasional low battery, it has never flown off the handle or any other glaring defect. Some of the early user issues were pretty hilarious including, but not limited to, threats of lawsuit for damage to the sensor after using it like a rotary brush instead of actually reading directions.

I'm in the "fan of" group but it is an expensive option.

Dave

Thank you and Happy Birthday!

I was reading about the gel stick. Some folks (e.g. the person who posted the link below) have had problems with them on Sonys... I will definitely want to do some more research.

http://talkingtree.org/warning-avoid-eyelead-gel-sticks-sony-a7-cameras-part-1/

Thanks again and good luck with the gel stick!

The company makes a version specifically for the Sony sensor issue.

https://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick-for-sony

Dave