Specifically ... Food!!

kjbacon

It’s now officially one month till we leave for our first Azamara cruise, can’t wait! I just learned good info here on the Indian buffet and it got me wondering about what else I don’t know about the food (and its always fun to talk food).

I’m a planner and am trying to figure which nights to reserve the specialty restaurants. What are some of your favorite dishes and restaurant spots? I think I read that the White Night Party is a BBQ and do I remember that there are lobster tails?

There usually is, but it depends on supplies and whether something else local is more special - for example in some places we have had the most amazing fresh tuna grilled on the deck on White Night.

Advice is to make any bookings you need to based on your first choices of nights then look at the menus on screen and see if there is any night you would rather be downstairs. Downstairs there is always one dish that reflects the theme of the upstairs buffet (which is easier to work out) and one past special - something they do not do know but is a much loved favourite. That one is not able to predict however, it will be posted on a board at the podium on the main dining room during the day so yo could make a last minute switch of plans.

There is also a special each night on the Patio, something they grill again that is posted on a board near the Patio during the day.

It is all so good choices can be very hard to make.

One very popular option is the seafood evening at the buffet - recent cruises that has always been night 1. Buffets always include at least one live cooking station and the seafood can be very popular as its often a seafood pasta the chef is doing

White Night is great - we love the buffet there. Yes, often lobster tails. Last cruise we also had frito misto (seafood lightly battered & fried) and steak. Always crepes suzette served by 2 of the Senior Officers.

When you go to book your speciality restaurants (there’s a desk in Windows buffet entrance) ask them when White Night is.

In January we got a sheet in our cabin which set out what buffet was on what night and when White Night was.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are the menus on the TV or do you have to check out each restaurant. This will be our first time on Azamara as well and we love to check menus. My husband always says I’m the only person he knows who plans food [emoji12]

Also does Azamara have an app with menus and activities?

A Seafood buffet sounds fabulous! I was going to book a specialty restaurant for our first night but now, I don’t think so because seafood is a favorite of ours. What kinds of seafood items are served?

Are the menus on the TV or do you have to check out each restaurant. This will be our first time on Azamara as well and we love to check menus. My husband always says I’m the only person he knows who plans food [emoji12]

Tell your husband we check out the menus on TV to decide where we're going to eat, too :) I have to admit we aren't big fans of Azamara's food, but on our most recent cruise last month on Quest we did see improvement in some dishes from our first cruise last year on Journey.

The menus are on the TV screen under the Dining option, they are available for the MDR and the Speciality restaurants, Aqualina and Prime C. There’s lots of choice and the food is really really good;p

No App on Azamara as of yet, but as RCI are rolling out some IT initiatives fleet wide, who knows if/when Azamara will get one?

We had the great pleasure of enjoying an Azamara Rijsttafel (Rice Table) - twice, during a recent B2B. This is a special, Indonesian meal with a small upcharge, served at a long table in Windows. The set up is beautifully done and you and fellow diners will be faced with 16 or so courses, small plates, introduced by waitstaff in Balinese garb and prepared by a dedicated chef. I highly recommend the experience for the fragrant, tantalizing food and fun, family-style dining experience.

The menus are on the TV screen under the Dining option, they are available for the MDR and the Speciality restaurants, Aqualina and Prime C. There’s lots of choice and the food is really really good;p

No App on Azamara as of yet, but as RCI are rolling out some IT initiatives fleet wide, who knows if/when Azamara will get one?

The TV will work! Thanks! I want to try all the venues! We aren't sailing until April 2019, so maybe by then. Apps are just cool.

We are doing a golf tie in cruise. We don't golf, but the itinerary was so interesting, and it fit in with what we were looking for - a cruise in the Spring out of NYC not on a mega ship. NY to NY with 3 days in Charleston (I've never been!) and 3 in Bermuda with a few sea days here and there. I'm really looking forward to it! And that seafood buffet!

Are you cruising on Quest or Journey on June 16? We board Quest on that day.

We are on Journey on June 17. We leave home the evening of June 16 to fly to London. My first time overseas!!

We are on Journey on June 17. We leave home the evening of June 16 to fly to London. My first time overseas!!

Sorry we won't meet up but how exciting for you.

Hope you enjoy your vacation in Europe and have a wonderful cruise on Journey.

The TV will work! Thanks! I want to try all the venues! We aren't sailing until April 2019, so maybe by then. Apps are just cool.

We are doing a golf tie in cruise. We don't golf, but the itinerary was so interesting, and it fit in with what we were looking for - a cruise in the Spring out of NYC not on a mega ship. NY to NY with 3 days in Charleston (I've never been!) and 3 in Bermuda with a few sea days here and there. I'm really looking forward to it! And that seafood buffet!

Both of our cruises have been the PerryGolf cruises, as my husband is a golfer. We did the British Open cruise last year, and there were probably 150 people associated with the golf group (including non-golfing spouses like me). We recently did an Iberian Peninsula golf cruise and the group was much smaller, only about 40 in total. Because your tour has an option to attend the last day of the Masters tournament, you might have more golfers than our last cruise (although the Masters option is $$$). Not enough golfers to impact your enjoyment of the cruise, though--you may not even realize they're onboard unless they have booked out the library or someplace for a private event.

Thank you, Spursgirl, that would have been fun to meet on the same sailing. Maybe next time!

Host Grandma, I promise to report back. We usually sail with Viking Cruises and we love them. This was about a great itinerary with perfect timing. There’s only twice per year that we can get away for a long trip with our jobs. I’m very excited to see how Azamara compares.

Have a wonderful :ship: vacation. I too look forward to your post-cruise review here on Cruise Critic!

The Chateaubriand in Prime C is fantastic. Bernaise on the side. The staff is excellent and offer great suggestions depending on your taste and appetite. We spent several nights there during our two week cruise over Christmas and New Years. Looking forward to being back on the Quest for a Australia/New Zealand cruise Jan 6, 2019!! Counting the days.

I board ship with spreadsheet in hand, noting what we have planned and noting which day we can do a specialty restaurant. I then sit with the reservation people asking when certain nights will be (White Nights, Indian Buffet, etc.) and then, by process of elimination, book the specialty restaurants, alternating one with the other. Works like a charm.

Agree, the Chateaubriand in Prime C is fantastic. Love bernaise so much I could have it with everything!!!

Disagree on the seafood buffet. We were extremely disappointed on a sample from the buffet on our recent Journey sailing. We opted instead for Discoveries which is always wonderful, both service and food.

We always eat our evening meal in Discoveries with the occasional speciality restaurant booking. I think it’s because we like to make our dinner an ‘occasion’ when on holiday. Buffets just don’t feel ‘special’ and dinner is over very quickly.

We love being served, taking our time, chatting with fellow passengers on a shared table.

Have a wonderful :ship: vacation. I too look forward to your post-cruise review here on Cruise Critic!

Thank you! I will be very frank and hope to be lavishing praise :) We have our next Azamara cruise picked out; we are just waiting to see how our first one is before booking it.

• 1 month later...
We had the great pleasure of enjoying an Azamara Rijsttafel (Rice Table) - twice, during a recent B2B. This is a special, Indonesian meal with a small upcharge, served at a long table in Windows. The set up is beautifully done and you and fellow diners will be faced with 16 or so courses, small plates, introduced by waitstaff in Balinese garb and prepared by a dedicated chef. I highly recommend the experience for the fragrant, tantalizing food and fun, family-style dining experience.

Hi do you

know if there is a vegetarian or vegan choice on these evenings. Thanks.

We love to try new things while on vacation. Our first Azamara cruise this November is a short 4-day to Cuba, I'd love to try as many dining venues/experiences as possible. Would anyone have any recommendations on how best to accomplish this? I know I'd like to try Prime C, and definitely dont want to miss the White Nights Party if they have one.

There’s a good choice on Azamara - Windows buffet, Discoveries main dining room, 2 speciality restaurants (Prime C & Aqualina), Chefs Table , Riestaffel, (you need to make reservations for the speciality restaurants, Chefs Table & Riestaffel as soon as you get onboard), & the Patio ( grill on deck). - plus White Night with its great outdoor buffet.

Hi do you

know if there is a vegetarian or vegan choice on these evenings. Thanks.

Hi. Well, I do know that you will be faced with 16 courses, plus the varied sauces and chutneys, rice crackers, etc. At my first rice table I went in without a plan, sampled as many dishes as I could and by the end could only stare longingly at the 4 little dessert plates. Second time around I paced myself and made it through to the desserts - and I did not try the pork or beef dishes. The Rice Table crew is upbeat, dedicated, and apparently delighted to introduce this cuisine. I would recommend asking about vegetarian or vegan options when you board - and then I would book it!