Azamara Journey

upwarduk

Looking for information from anyone on Journey in Stockholm 29.06.18.

We were on Silhouette and saw Journey docked in Frihamnen.

f2bdb0147974f0d967d8e0b297181c79.jpg

We should have been in St Petersburg 1/2 . 07.18. but we were not allowed in to the port ( by the port authorities due to our size and the high winds)

The Captain told us that in 19 years of sailing to St Petersburg, he has never been refused entry.

I have been on many cruise ships and experienced much greater winds.

I just wonder if Journey was allowed in on 02.07.18, as I had seen on the itinerary that she should have been there.

Many people on Silhouette wonder how P&O Britianna was allowed in when we weren’t ( we saw her sailing out) when she is bigger than us. We also wonder if the fact that the World Cup was being played 03.07.18 meant the authorities had quite sufficient to cope with, without an influx of 3000 extra passengers.

Many thanks.

Edited by upwarduk

We left Journey on 29th but when we soent 3 days in St Petersburg earlier that week we were docked at the English Embankment in the heart of the city and not at the cruise port and the taff were expecting the same mooring. Walking distance to the sights of the city.

Looking for information from anyone on Journey in Stockholm 29.06.18.

We were on Silhouette and saw Journey docked in Frihamnen.

f2bdb0147974f0d967d8e0b297181c79.jpg

We should have been in St Petersburg 1/2 . 07.18. but we were not allowed in to the port ( by the port authorities due to our size and the high winds)

The Captain told us that in 19 years of sailing to St Petersburg, he has never been refused entry.

I have been on many cruise ships and experienced much greater winds.

I just wonder if Journey was allowed in on 02.07.18, as I had seen on the itinerary that she should have been there.

Many people on Silhouette wonder how P&O Britianna was allowed in when we weren’t ( we saw her sailing out) when she is bigger than us. We also wonder if the fact that the World Cup was being played 03.07.18 meant the authorities had quite sufficient to cope with, without an influx of 3000 extra passengers.

Many thanks.

Yes we are on Journey. We got in on schedule on July 2 but the first day we docked across the river from English Embankment because another ship was in our scheduled berth "weather bound". It finally left and we moved into our berth the first night. A large RCCL ship docked on July 3 at the remote pier where you would have docked. We heard that Silhouette didn't get in due to wind from our July 3 guide. FWIW, probably not much, the guide told us that the Silhouette situation was the ship master's decision. Whatever really caused this skipping SPB must be a real bummer since Russia is the main reason to do a Baltic cruise.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Forums mobile app

Many thanks for the information. The ship’s personnel still maintain that it was the port authorities who wouldn’t let us in. We actually had a pilot on board early in the morning of 02.07.17, but that attempt was also aborted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Many thanks for the information. The ship’s personnel still maintain that it was the port authorities who wouldn’t let us in. We actually had a pilot on board early in the morning of 02.07.17, but that attempt was also aborted.

Since you missed Russia what did X substitute?

Since you missed Russia what did X substitute?

Nothing.

At a Q&A session the Captain was asked if we could wait another day and he said it’s a World Cup day, so they won’t want us!

I asked Rose, the Captain’s Club hostess why we couldn’t go to Helsinki and her reply was , ‘ we are in Europe not the Caribbean and some passengers and crew will need Visas!!’

I really do think Celebrity should have given out Future Cruise certificates; it would have been good PR for them. As it stands at the moment passengers are not happy. They have just said ‘claim from your insurance company,’ who I can’t see paying out, as inclement weather is considered an ‘Act of God.’

A Captain can only lose in situations like these.

If he docks in high winds and it goes wrong (as it did with Millennium in Ketchikan last summer) he may lose his job and some passengers after a quick dime sue for “mental distress”.

If he skips the port some passengers who always know best will say things like “I’ve experienced much stronger winds” or “ship such and such did get in”, completely ignoring many other factors such as different ships may have different propulsion or different manoeuvrability, the other pier might be at a different angle related to the wind direction, smaller ships (like Journey) ‘catch’ less wind if it’s coming from the side, etc. etc.

Safety first.

Floris

A Captain can only lose in situations like these.

If he docks in high winds and it goes wrong (as it did with Millennium in Ketchikan last summer) he may lose his job and some passengers after a quick dime sue for “mental distress”.

If he skips the port some passengers who always know best will say things like “I’ve experienced much stronger winds” or “ship such and such did get in”, completely ignoring many other factors such as different ships may have different propulsion or different manoeuvrability, the other pier might be at a different angle related to the wind direction, smaller ships (like Journey) ‘catch’ less wind if it’s coming from the side, etc. etc.

Safety first.

Floris

True. The Celebrity CC board on this topic seems to confirm this was the master's call after multiple attempts, that it was not the harbor master nor government officials waiving the ship off, that pilots were on board, and that this happened to the same ship in SPB a few years ago due to high-ish winds. It was to be a two day port call. Maybe X should look into using a different ship for Baltic cruises.

Please tell me what country makes you have a Visa for Finland. I have been to,Europe a lot and never needed a a Visa besides Hungry and Russia.

Lots of people from Asian countries (India, Pakistan, The Philippines, etc.) need a visa for Finland, Europe/Schengen and so on. That wasn’t the point however. What they were trying to get across is that finding a last minute replacement port isn’t as easy in the Baltic as it is in the Caribbean. But then again, there are always some passengers who know better.