CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

We are staying pre cruise 1 night. Not going to the city. We want to stay in a hotel with restaurants within walking distance. Sailing on 9/23 from Cape Liberty

The Newark Penn Station Hilton would work for you. It has an airport shuttle (call hotel,directly for pickup). However, it is in downtown Newark, which is really not a suggested walking environment at night. The Ironbound District is nearby with many Spanish and Portuguese restaurants - a quick inexpensive cab ride.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g46671-zfn7252-Newark_New_Jersey.html

The Newark Penn Station Hilton would work for you. It has an airport shuttle (call hotel,directly for pickup). However, it is in downtown Newark, which is really not a suggested walking environment at night. The Ironbound District is nearby with many Spanish and Portuguese restaurants - a quick inexpensive cab ride.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g46671-zfn7252-Newark_New_Jersey.html

Great help I think we will cross penn station Hilton off the list

Great help I think we will cross penn station Hilton off the list

Cross off the Harrison Hampton Inn as well.

How much are you willing to spend? The Westin in Jersey City is $180 + tax (member rate on lastminutetravel.com) plus about a $50 cab fare from the airport. This puts you in the Newport area of Jersey City with access to the waterfront Boardwalk and views of NYC. The Doubletree Jersey City is $213 + tax.

Edited by 138east

Are you parking at the port? The Ramada is the best of the Wyndham properties at Newark Airport. I have stayed there (as have many other cruisers) and it was fine. It's about a 3* hotel and is clean. It has a restaurant/bar and a cafe with many selections.

It's an airport hotel. Airline crews stay there. My feeling is that many of the bad reviews for any airport hotel come from folks who have had their travel disrupted and end up in a hotel that was not expecting their arrival.

Thanks for the advice! This place is perfect. It is way nicer than expected and nice and close. Cheers!

Thanks for the advice! This place is perfect. It is way nicer than expected and nice and close. Cheers!

So glad it suits you. I also found it nicer than expected with a comfortable bed, good wifi, and good food options (for an airport hotel) between the cafe and the restaurant. It is one of the closest hotels to the port with easy access back onto the Turnpike exit 14. IMO the cruise package through Trinity is the best.

• 3 weeks later...

I see on the PATH train guide that most Manhattan stations are going to be closed on weekends through October 2018, except for WTC. I'm sailing on Anthem on August 18 (Saturday). What's my best alternative from the MSG area? Head south? TIA.

Edited by NorthIsUp

I see on the PATH train guide that most Manhattan stations are going to be closed on weekends through October 2018, except for WTC. I'm sailing on Anthem on August 18 (Saturday). What's my best alternative from the MSG area? Head south? TIA.

You could take the E subway train South from 34th & 8th Ave to World Trade, PATH to Exchange Place, and the 8th Ave Bayonne light rail to 34th Street.

You could take the E subway train South from 34th & 8th Ave to World Trade, PATH to Exchange Place, and the 8th Ave Bayonne light rail to 34th Street.

138East = Thank you. I'm comfortable travelling in the city as I was born in Manhattan and drove a cab while in college in the 70's. The routes have changed a bit, but 34th and 8th hasn't moved.

138East = Thank you. I'm comfortable travelling in the city as I was born in Manhattan and drove a cab while in college in the 70's. The routes have changed a bit, but 34th and 8th hasn't moved.

I think there's an accessible subway entrance at 34th - look on the MTA site for exact details. Get on the front of the train, which terminates at World Trade. I haven't been through this way for a long time, but it's a bit of a walk to connect with PATH. At Exchange Place you head diagonally left across the Plaza to the light rail station, buy a ticket in the machine, and validate it. Be sure to take the 8th St Bayonne train.

Need advice on train/subways. We are flying in to Newark on Aug 24th and sailing on Summit Aug 26th. We plan to spend Saturday the 25th seeing all we can in NYC, our first visit. Staying at Newark Penn Station Hilton. What is the best route to take in the morning around 8 to 9 am to 7th ave. 50th st (we plan a tour starting there)- PATH to WTC then subway or Train to Penn Station NY then subway? Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Need advice on train/subways. We are flying in to Newark on Aug 24th and sailing on Summit Aug 26th. We plan to spend Saturday the 25th seeing all we can in NYC, our first visit. Staying at Newark Penn Station Hilton. What is the best route to take in the morning around 8 to 9 am to 7th ave. 50th st (we plan a tour starting there)- PATH to WTC then subway or Train to Penn Station NY then subway? Thanks for your help.

What time do you have to be at 7th Ave & 50th?

I'm thinking PATH because it runs every 20 minutes on Sat and, because it's not running to 33rd St on weekends, you're supposed to be able to get a free metro card good for 2 subway rides. The train schedule is clustered between :10 past to :30 past with no trains for 40 minutes. At World Trade you would find the R train and ride directly to 49th & 7th.

Train plus subway would be $8.25 each way, but with the PATH "deal" it would be $2.75 each way with 2 free subway rides.

What time do you have to be at 7th Ave & 50th?

I'm thinking PATH because it runs every 20 minutes on Sat and, because it's not running to 33rd St on weekends, you're supposed to be able to get a free metro card good for 2 subway rides. The train schedule is clustered between :10 past to :30 past with no trains for 40 minutes. At World Trade you would find the R train and ride directly to 49th & 7th.

Train plus subway would be $8.25 each way, but with the PATH "deal" it would be $2.75 each way with 2 free subway rides.

The tour starts at 10am. Thought we would leave Newark around 8am, whenever departure is. Since this is our first visit, wanted some experienced advice. Thank you again!

I think there's an accessible subway entrance at 34th - look on the MTA site for exact details. Get on the front of the train, which terminates at World Trade. I haven't been through this way for a long time, but it's a bit of a walk to connect with PATH. At Exchange Place you head diagonally left across the Plaza to the light rail station, buy a ticket in the machine, and validate it. Be sure to take the 8th St Bayonne train.

Thanks for the good info. It would have been a surprise to me in a few weeks if I didn't know about the closure before. Thanks, again.

We are sailing on Sunday August 19 from Cape Liberty. I read there are parking problems since there are now 3 ships. Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you.

There are no issues with getting a spot. However, with three ships here, you cannot be assured of parking in the garage. As a matter of fact, I believe there is no parking in the garage for the Summit sailings at all. You will most likely have surface parking either in the lot across the road or in between the two buildings adjacent to the lot.

There are no issues with getting a spot. However, with three ships here, you cannot be assured of parking in the garage. As a matter of fact, I believe there is no parking in the garage for the Summit sailings at all. You will most likely have surface parking either in the lot across the road or in between the two buildings adjacent to the lot.
Correct. Summit cruisers are directed to park outside in the open overflow parking lot. No access to the garage.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

I just saw the dailies that posted PiratessLooksAt40, Summit to Bermuda, and I wonder if Celebrity offers transportation to the JFK airport? Our flight is Sunday Oct 21 AAXYZ to DFW at 2:55 pm, what other options do I have to get to the airport on time?

16d230d9c635d40c3b78fb07ebdb7a25.jpg

I just saw the dailies that posted PiratessLooksAt40, Summit to Bermuda, and I wonder if Celebrity offers transportation to the JFK airport? Our flight is Sunday Oct 21 AAXYZ to DFW at 2:55 pm, what other options do I have to get to the airport on time?

16d230d9c635d40c3b78fb07ebdb7a25.jpg

You book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo to take you to JFK. The Cape Liberty taxi dispatcher will get you transportation as well, but you can't prearrange it.

After finding out about PATH closures on the weekends, I have a question for those of you in the know.

We planned to travel into midtown Manhattan from the Exchange Place station on Saturday, since we are staying at the Doubletree Jersey City. Since this is (fortunately) NOT one of the weekends that station is closed, we are trying to determine the best tickets to buy for transportation, and the best choices. We were going to buy the day pass, and go to midtown by changing trains, then walk uptown from the midtown station (yes, we know it would be a hike).

However, now we were wondering if we should take the PATH to downtown, and change to the subway system. If so, is there a ‘best’ option for travel and for tickets? Or is there a better alternative?

Thanks for being here and sharing your wisdom. I’ve learned so much from you guys. [emoji846]

After finding out about PATH closures on the weekends, I have a question for those of you in the know.

We planned to travel into midtown Manhattan from the Exchange Place station on Saturday, since we are staying at the Doubletree Jersey City. Since this is (fortunately) NOT one of the weekends that station is closed, we are trying to determine the best tickets to buy for transportation, and the best choices. We were going to buy the day pass, and go to midtown by changing trains, then walk uptown from the midtown station (yes, we know it would be a hike).

However, now we were wondering if we should take the PATH to downtown, and change to the subway system. If so, is there a ‘best’ option for travel and for tickets? Or is there a better alternative?

Thanks for being here and sharing your wisdom. I’ve learned so much from you guys. [emoji846]

What date are you doing this? Where are you actually going in Manhattan?

Not sure what you mean about "buying the day pass".

My understanding is that if you take PATH from Exchange Place to World Trade, you can get a free 2 trip Metrocard at WTC for use on the NY subway. http://www.panynj.gov/path/

http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories_path.html

There does appear to be Hoboken to Journal Square service on the weekends, which means That from the Doubletree you can go from Newport to Grove St and transfer in the other direction to go to World Trade instead of walking to Exchange Place.

What date are you doing this? Where are you actually going in Manhattan?

Not sure what you mean about "buying the day pass".

My understanding is that if you take PATH from Exchange Place to World Trade, you can get a free 2 trip Metrocard at WTC for use on the NY subway. http://www.panynj.gov/path/

http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories_path.html

There does appear to be Hoboken to Journal Square service on the weekends, which means That from the Doubletree you can go from Newport to Grove St and transfer in the other direction to go to World Trade instead of walking to Exchange Place.

We were going to get the PATH 1 day ticket, since the price is reasonable, just in case we decided to stop off at other places. We want to be up in the lower Central Park area. We walk a lot, so planned to go to the Met, and walk down Park Ave, stopping by the library and other point of interest in that area. Since we aren’t taking in a show, we don’t want to fight the crowds in midtown.

Thanks for the heads up on what is closest to our hotel. Looks like we should probably take the Metro from World Trade, since they are providing tickets. We hadn’t even looked into the Metro since the PATH train was going to suffice prior to the weekend shutdowns. [emoji846]

Thanks again!

We were going to get the PATH 1 day ticket, since the price is reasonable, just in case we decided to stop off at other places. We want to be up in the lower Central Park area. We walk a lot, so planned to go to the Met, and walk down Park Ave, stopping by the library and other point of interest in that area. Since we aren’t taking in a show, we don’t want to fight the crowds in midtown.

Thanks for the heads up on what is closest to our hotel. Looks like we should probably take the Metro from World Trade, since they are providing tickets. We hadn’t even looked into the Metro since the PATH train was going to suffice prior to the weekend shutdowns. [emoji846]

Thanks again!

Actually this is a better plan. PATH at 33rd to the Met is 3 miles. Certainly doable, but it could be a crowded walk in places. Right near WTC at Fulton St you can get the #4 or 5 train to 59th St to transfer across the platform to the #6 local train to 86th St.

From midtown thhe #1 to Rector St, the A,C,2,3,4,5 (or #6 to transfer to the 4,5) to Fulton St, E to Chambers St, and R or W to Cortlandt St,will take you to a station in lower Manhattan within walking distance of WTC.

http://web.mta.info/maps/Large_Print_Map.pdf