Taking the train from Connecticut to NYC for our NCL cruise?

5kitty

Just wondering about your experiences on taking the train from Connecticut to New York for your cruise. We are looking into Metro North out of Union Station in New Haven (parking at the Union Station Garage) to Grand Central or possibly Amtrak out of New London into Penn Station. Having lived in Manhattan for a few years, I know that taxis are pretty easy to get at the NYC train stations. Any idea about the approximate fares? How difficult is it to grab a taxi back to the train stations once departing the cruise ship? Thanks for any advice you may have.

When are you cruising NCL ??

I believe most metro NY folks are aware of / heard about Amtrak and regional rail's (including Metro North) summer reduction in train services scheduled (25%) and that the cuts could be worst on weekends - thru beginning of September (fingers-crossed :rolleyes: )

I would check on the latest published schedule AND allow plenty of travel time, its near on-time performance are NOT good at all.

Taxis are plentiful, upon disembarkation - go outside & walk across 12th Avenue @ 48th Street ... Taxi Stand with dispatcher on duty on ship dates - lines move quickly, a matter of loading/unloading luggage. Metered fares to Penn Station and/or GCT should be under $20 or $15 including tips.

Take Metro North. There's a train just about hourly and a lot less $$$$$ than Amtrack which only has a few trains a day. Metro North runs pretty much on schedule, not so much on Amtrack.

New Haven station parking can be tough - garage closest to station is more expensive and can fill up. Stamford station has new garage -Harbor Point - connected to station by covered walkway - $10 per day, and you can reserve a spot. 45 minutes by frequent (half hourly or less) MetroNorth train to Grand Central rather than almost two hours from New Haven , which is also more expensive.

No problem getting taxi at Grand Central in mid morning - I find it best to go out Lexington Avenue (east) side and get taxi there. About $20 to cruise terminal - including tip.

Do NOT think about Amtrak - foul-ups at PennStation are routine, plus the fare is much higher.

Currently staying in a Stamford hotel. Off peak fare is $11.50. Reduced fares for seniors 65+.

Current weekend schedule shows 1 express train per hour (55 minutes) and 2 local trains/hour (72 minutes).

Trains had new cars and were comfortable.

Currently staying in a Stamford hotel. Off peak fare is $11.50. Reduced fares for seniors 65+.

Current weekend schedule shows 1 express train per hour (55 minutes) and 2 local trains/hour (72 minutes).

Trains had new cars and were comfortable.

Actually the express (55 minutes) run every half hour - 25 and 55 after the hour, and local (72 minutes) also every half hour 02 and 32 after the hour - for most of the weekend day - with more frequent weekday service.

Actually the express (55 minutes) run every half hour - 25 and 55 after the hour, and local (72 minutes) also every half hour 02 and 32 after the hour - for most of the weekend day - with more frequent weekday service.

My bad. I read the schedule wrong. I'm just overdone after 3 days in the NY area with DD and 3 DGD's!!!

Anyway I thought the Metronorth trains were very nice and the kids were very excited to have their first ride on a real train (as opposed to the Boston subway or Portland light rail.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If this helps anybody going to NY or NJ Cruise Terminals...we live in Western MA and take MA Tpke ext toward Albany outskirts to Yankee Trails Travel Co...park there for free and take their Cruise Shuttle right to door of port- they handle luggage...we do go day before and stay locally at hotel (Holiday Inn Express- but there are others nearby), easy and less expensive than NYC parking/hotel. We find it difficult to get to cruise ports.

• 10 months later...

We are cruising out of NYC next year for the first time since 2004. We are thinking of taking Metro North from Stamford to Grand Central and then a taxi or Uber from Grand Central to the cruise terminal. This will be much cheaper than driving and parking at the cruise terminal at a cost of $400.

Our sail date is on a Wednesday and I worry since it's a work day that taxis might be hard to come by.

Has anyone sailed on a weekday and have any experience?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Taxis are plentiful at the train stations. Just find your way to the taxi stand.

I just read a report that someone coming back from a cruise had trouble getting a taxi to take them a short distance that was similar to Penn Station or Grand Central. They were holding out for bigger fares. This is not allowed in New York and they can be fined for it if you report it. Some ways to deal with this: Show them a $5 tip you will be adding. Write down their taxi number and when they ask you why say "because you would not take me to Grand Central."

The person who wrote this actually walked a block away and called Lyft to get their ride.

The person who wrote this actually walked a block away and called Lyft to get their ride.

Thanks for the information. Is there a reason why they had to walk a block away to get Lyft are they (& Uber) not allowed to pick up at the cruise terminal?