Embassy Suites Newark Airport

nonnie&dgd

I plan on booking Embassy Suites for my Anthem cruise. I plan on booking online. I will not have a car so I don't need parking, but I need a shuttle to the cruise port. Do I need to call the hotel ahead of time to arrange this?

You should be able to do it when you check in...I stayed in January and went to the pier with a friend. You can also use Uber/Lyft or a cab...it'll be around $50 or so give or take...

I remember people booking the pier shuttle at check in but I don't recall the price....you can call the hotel direct and ask. $20 per person r/t is sort of sticking out.....

It's a nice hotel, I enjoyed my stay. They do happy hour a little different than other ES properties due to our alcohol laws in NJ. You'll get 2 tickets for free drinks then if you want more you can buy them for like $2 for the house stuff...it's a full bar so you can also buy better drinks. The snacks were crudite, hummus, freshly made pita chips, popcorn and macaroni salad, maybe a few other things....

You should be able to do it when you check in...I stayed in January and went to the pier with a friend. You can also use Uber/Lyft or a cab...it'll be around $50 or so give or take...

I remember people booking the pier shuttle at check in but I don't recall the price....you can call the hotel direct and ask. $20 per person r/t is sort of sticking out.....

It's a nice hotel, I enjoyed my stay. They do happy hour a little different than other ES properties due to our alcohol laws in NJ. You'll get 2 tickets for free drinks then if you want more you can buy them for like $2 for the house stuff...it's a full bar so you can also buy better drinks. The snacks were crudite, hummus, freshly made pita chips, popcorn and macaroni salad, maybe a few other things....

Hope nonnie doesn't mind me highjacking the post... did they have a restaurant where you could get dinner? Or did you eat somewhere nearby? Thanks!

Hope nonnie doesn't mind me highjacking the post... did they have a restaurant where you could get dinner? Or did you eat somewhere nearby? Thanks!

Nearby restaurants are Ruby Tuesdays, Applebees, IHOP, Johnny Rockets, and the Jersey Gardens Mall food court.

They do, but it's not a very big menu for lunch or dinner... And the Ruby Tuesday has improved a LOT! I went in January with several friends and it was good...(in the past, that location had been a hot mess..... and finally they seem to have gotten a manager who knows what they're doing...

I'm sailing in February. Are these restaurants next to the hotel? Don't like walking in the cold.:):)

Ruby Tuesdays is diagonally across the street and IHOP is behind it. The Courtyard next door has Le Bistro.

The other options are at the mall which is a longer walk.

We stayed at this Embassy Suites in February, and would stay there again. Excellent room, friendly staff, good breakfast, and very easy drive to the pier.

They did have a shuttle to the ship. It was not clear to me that they always run the shuttle, perhaps those more experienced would know, but if it were important to me, I would just call the hotel directly and confirm that there will be a shuttle to the pier.

Ruby Tuesday’s was a short walk away, and worked out well for dinner.

Some of the hotels' shuttles will take you to the mall, but for some reason, the Embassy Suites one goes only to the airport ( I mean the free, hotel shuttle as opposed to the pay one for the pier..)

I know that the Courtyard one does or did.....not sure if they still do......

I spoke to the guy who runs the shuttles last September. They do the Country Inn across the road too. Basically, they have about 10 16 seat minibuses and keep going until everyone is shuttled to the port. Nominally they start at 10am and then on the hour, but basically its a case of when the bus is full, it goes! They also run shuttles back from the port starting about 0730, but I think they would drop you at EWR if you asked them nicely!

Embassy Suites does have a restauraunt which we used one evening. It was fine and cheaper than you might expect for a hotel restaurant.

You still get 'happy hour' from 5 - 7, but due to NJ laws you only get one free drink (get your token from reception). After that, all drinks are $2. (I just gave the bar tender $5 a time and never had to wait for my next drink!).

Simon

• 1 month later...
Is this all pre-arranged at check in?

thanks!!

My understanding is that it is arranged at check in.

Call the hotel to find out where they will drop you at the airport. Most shuttles drop folks at the P4 Airtrain station where you take the monorail to your terminal, so you should be prepared for that.

Is this all pre-arranged at check in?

thanks!!

Yes, you can do it when you check in. This is just so they can let the 'outside' company know how many pax to expect. The firm does the Country Inn opposite the ES as well. They use about six 16 seat minibuses to transfer starting at 10am. We opted for one about 11 am just to avoid all those eager beavers! The guy who runs the firm will be floating about between the two hotels, so you can ask him procedures. We didn't get a shuttle back, but I think he said they start picking up from CL about 7.30 am on return and they will keep 'round tripping' until everyone is picked up. I think you pay for both trips on your day of embarkation, as he was telling people to hang on to their yellow copy ticket for the return trip. Its $20pp each way.

Simon

Yes, you can do it when you check in. This is just so they can let the 'outside' company know how many pax to expect. The firm does the Country Inn opposite the ES as well. They use about six 16 seat minibuses to transfer starting at 10am. We opted for one about 11 am just to avoid all those eager beavers! The guy who runs the firm will be floating about between the two hotels, so you can ask him procedures. We didn't get a shuttle back, but I think he said they start picking up from CL about 7.30 am on return and they will keep 'round tripping' until everyone is picked up. I think you pay for both trips on your day of embarkation, as he was telling people to hang on to their yellow copy ticket for the return trip. Its $20pp each way.

Simon

Thanks for the reply! Our scheduled time is to arrive between 11-11:30AM... will we make it for 11:30AM if we took the 11AM bus?

Also does the return shuttle back go to Newark airport?

Thanks for the reply! Our scheduled time is to arrive between 11-11:30AM... will we make it for 11:30AM if we took the 11AM bus?

Also does the return shuttle back go to Newark airport?

Don't worry about the scheduled time to arrive. Anthem boards early. I would be on a 10 am shuttle for sure. By the time you get to the port, get through security, and check in, you should be able to just walk onto the ship.

Check in is very fast. Your keys will be in your room, so the actual check in with iPads is very fast, even if they have to take your photo. Your paper Set Sail can be used to charge drinks until you get your Seapass card at your cabin. This new process is a real crowd pleaser.

Somebody needs to confirm the EWR drop off point. I think it's the P4 Airtrain Station to take the monorail to your terminal.

It’s a 20-30 min trip depending on traffic. Personally, I would go for a bus about 11, as loads of people want to be first(!) and make a mad rush for the 10am. Can’t help with confirming the airport drop off as we didn’t do it. Perhaps try phoning ES and asking for the name and number of the bus firm.

Simon

The later in the morning you get to Cape Liberty, the more the traffic has backed up on the port road.

Since Quantum/Anthem has come to Cape Liberty, I've been arriving about 10:30 with no significant delays. They can't wait to check you in and clear you out of the terminal to board the ship. Last trip I was on the first bumper car run at noon with no wait.

If you need to make or change any reservations, you can deal with that easily before the crowds. Eating venues open at 11 am, so you can grab something to eat. The 270 is a good place to eat and hang out until the rooms open. The Solarium Bistro offers a more limited buffet lunch menu next to the Solarium, another good place to hang out. In warm weather all the outside deck space is available as well.

Don't worry about the scheduled time to arrive. Anthem boards early. I would be on a 10 am shuttle for sure. By the time you get to the port, get through security, and check in, you should be able to just walk onto the ship.

I second this advice to get an early shuttle. When we cruised this winter on Anthem, boarding started at around 10:30am for suites, and then everyone else followed. No reason to leave the hotel as late as 11. Get on board as soon as you can, and find a nice spot for lunch and wait for cabins to be ready.