Montenegro primary interest but possibly to include Italy and/or Greece

My wife and I have been on several cruises - Princess is favorite but we're not exclusive to this.

My son recently returned from Montenegro with some great pictures. I'm looking for natural beauty and would like some excursions for some short hikes. Montenegro appears to be quite hilly and there appear to be some great vistas for those of us willing to climb a little.

I'm not much for southern Italy but my wife is. Northern Italy appears to be more scenic. Never been to Greece so that would be a plus also.

Looking for maybe a 14 day cruise or thereabouts (I'm retired).

Well - trying not to make this too long. We may just plan ahead and do car rentals and such, but the cruise option is enticing.

Can't advise you on a cruise, but if you are browsing and see Kotor, Montenegro, it is beautiful! The entry into the port is breathtaking and the old town is very quaint. There is a great hike to the top of the fortress that many people do. 1500 old stone steps to the top with breathtaking views from above. A bit of a slog, but worth it. Takes a few hours to go up and come back down, but the old town is very close to the port, so it is doable during a stop.

Can't advise you on a cruise, but if you are browsing and see Kotor, Montenegro, it is beautiful! The entry into the port is breathtaking and the old town is very quaint. There is a great hike to the top of the fortress that many people do. 1500 old stone steps to the top with breathtaking views from above. A bit of a slog, but worth it. Takes a few hours to go up and come back down, but the old town is very close to the port, so it is doable during a stop.
Thanks for that information. I think the fortress is the venue for some of the pictures that I've seen. Thanks for the verification.

Thanks for that information. I think the fortress is the venue for some of the pictures that I've seen. Thanks for the verification.

I am going to Kotor Montenegro and beginning to plan our day for that port. I am interested in learning about the hike to up to St. John’sfortress. I heard that there are two different paths to get there. How much time do we allow for this hike and how difficult of a climb is it? I am also considering an independent boat trip on the Bay of Kotor to see Our Lady of the Rock church/ island, the village of Perast, and Porto Montenegro marina/village in Tivat. Your input is appreciated. Thank you.

I am going to Kotor Montenegro and beginning to plan our day for that port. I am interested in learning about the hike to up to St. John’sfortress. I heard that there are two different paths to get there. How much time do we allow for this hike and how difficult of a climb is it? I am also considering an independent boat trip on the Bay of Kotor to see Our Lady of the Rock church/ island, the village of Perast, and Porto Montenegro marina/village in Tivat. Your input is appreciated. Thank you.

The hike is approximately 1500 stone steps, up 1200 meters elevation. We did it in the middle of the day when the sun was quite hot. It was gruelling, but we took our time and made it to the top. We are in our 60s and my husband had had by-pass surgery 5 years ago--so it is doable as long as you are reasonably fit and take your time. Anyone with bad knees should probably not consider it. There is one main route for getting to the top. The map shows an alternate one, but also indicates that it is higher risk (whatever they mean by that). I think the round trip took us 2.5-3 hours, as down is quicker than up. But, we took several rests and lots of photo stops. Bring lots of water! The cost to go up is 3 euros.

The hike is approximately 1500 stone steps, up 1200 meters elevation. We did it in the middle of the day when the sun was quite hot. It was gruelling, but we took our time and made it to the top. We are in our 60s and my husband had had by-pass surgery 5 years ago--so it is doable as long as you are reasonably fit and take your time. Anyone with bad knees should probably not consider it. There is one main route for getting to the top. The map shows an alternate one, but also indicates that it is higher risk (whatever they mean by that). I think the round trip took us 2.5-3 hours, as down is quicker than up. But, we took several rests and lots of photo stops. Bring lots of water! The cost to go up is 3 euros.

Dear Kawagama,

Thank you for the information and your quick response. I particularily appreciated the caution regarding bad knees. I think that I will skilp this hike. We are doing a cruise through the Mediterranean. Some of the port stops include, Athens, Santorini, Katakolon, Corfu, Kotor, Dubrovnik, Zadar, Koper and Venice. Did your cruise include any of these ports and if so, where there highlights or not to miss recommendations that you may have? I appreciate your input. It is so nice to be able to visit with people who have recently toured the region. Have a nice day.

Dear Kawagama,

Thank you for the information and your quick response. I particularily appreciated the caution regarding bad knees. I think that I will skilp this hike. We are doing a cruise through the Mediterranean. Some of the port stops include, Athens, Santorini, Katakolon, Corfu, Kotor, Dubrovnik, Zadar, Koper and Venice. Did your cruise include any of these ports and if so, where there highlights or not to miss recommendations that you may have? I appreciate your input. It is so nice to be able to visit with people who have recently toured the region. Have a nice day.

You can hike half way up to a little monastery. That’s what I did. Beautiful view. 9c70362d750736c3c08a0f6f46741c7e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dear Kawagama,

We went from Venice, 7 night round trip. We did stop at Athens, Kotor, and obviously Venice. Unfortunately for us, due to fog in the Venice port, our stops to Mykonos and Corfu were abandoned. Instead we went to Split, Croatia. We were not happy with the revised itinerary, as we had signed up for a Greek Island cruise.

In Athens, the 4 of us booked a car and driver through Private Greek Tours: http://privategreecetours.com/

The driver met us at the port, took us to all the major sights in Athens, and answered all our questions. It was very comfortable and we saw a lot in our 6 hours. I highly recommend this company.

We stayed in Venice for two nights before our cruise and then in Murano for the one night after our cruise. I don't like coming in and flying out on the day the ship boards or disembarks. Doesn't leave room for any issues that may arise. The group that was on our ship before us missed all their flights after their cruise because of the fog and the fact that the ship could not come into the port. Venice is very walkable. We did not do any tours, but visited a few key places on our own. It's not that big, so if you are able and willing to walk, just do that. Actually, you pretty much have to as no vehicles are allowed in Venice itself. We visited the Academia and St. Mark's. Otherwise, we just wandered around taking in the sites. Murano was amazing! Glad we stayed there afterwards. The hotel we had was very lovely and the town was quiet, which was a nice change after the cruise and after crowded Venice.

Your itinerary sounds wonderful. Have a great time!

lbeck-

one of the most beautiful sail-ins anywhere is into Kotor. The Kotor fjord is the southernmost in Europe and it is beautiful. Cruising in is worth it just because of that. I think that any cruise that includes Venice, Split, Dubrovnik, some of the Greek islands and Athens is a winner, especially if this is your first visit to that part of the world.

Maybe you can combine a cruise with some land touring in Italy. It is nice to be retired!

• 2 weeks later...
lbeck-

one of the most beautiful sail-ins anywhere is into Kotor. The Kotor fjord is the southernmost in Europe and it is beautiful. Cruising in is worth it just because of that. I think that any cruise that includes Venice, Split, Dubrovnik, some of the Greek islands and Athens is a winner, especially if this is your first visit to that part of the world.

Maybe you can combine a cruise with some land touring in Italy. It is nice to be retired!

Thanks - I'll look for a tour including the venues you mention. I'd prefer 7-14 days to allow for excursions, but am of course flexible given that we can't design our own cruise. Also not ruling out flying in/out and renting a car.

My wife and I have been on several cruises - Princess is favorite but we're not exclusive to this.

My son recently returned from Montenegro with some great pictures. I'm looking for natural beauty and would like some excursions for some short hikes. Montenegro appears to be quite hilly and there appear to be some great vistas for those of us willing to climb a little.

I'm not much for southern Italy but my wife is. Northern Italy appears to be more scenic. Never been to Greece so that would be a plus also.

Looking for maybe a 14 day cruise or thereabouts (I'm retired).

Well - trying not to make this too long. We may just plan ahead and do car rentals and such, but the cruise option is enticing.

Have you checked out Wind Star Cruises? We have sailed with them twice and now have a back 2 back 2 back scheduled for September 2018. We love the small ship, the port intensive itineraries, the crew and the somewhat laid back feeling you get when cruising with under 300 folks.

They have several cruises that stop in Montenegro that get wonderful reviews by the folks over on the Wind Star board. Depending upon the time you want to go, you could look at Classic Italy & Dalmatian Coast for 8 days Venice/Rome or Rome/Venice or Sailing Southern Italy & Croatia for 11 days Rome/Venice or Venice/Rome. Either one of these would give both you and your wife a taste of what you're looking for. Plus, you can add on a stay pre and post cruise to extend your vacation. Or, you can find more cruises and stay on for a back 2 back. That's what's happening to us for our upcoming cruise. The ship kept going to more places we wanted to see so we are now on the Wind Surf for 25 days!