Safe to walk in Gibraltar?

TrqoisWtrs

I am thinking of booking a tour that ends at the Gibraltar Museum. You can either go back to the ship with the tour or stay in town. I was going to walk back to the port ~ is it worth while? (Google says its about a half hour.) First time there and wondering if its okay to walk as a solo female? We're there on a Saturday; is there shopping along the way and if so, assume they will be open? TIA.

I would say it is safe for a single woman to walk from the town centre to the ship. Take the normal precautions you would take visiting any tourist spot. Maybe you can walk back with others off the tour?

My first thought when I read your question was that the main danger in gibraltar is getting an ape too close, but doubt it in the town centre.

There are a lot of shops it says in some places that they close on a Saturday around 1.30 BUT there are a few UK Highstreet names that will definitely be open M&S, Debenhams. It also says shops are closed on Sundays EXCEPT when there is a Cruise ship in so guess that will be good for Saturday as well. Its not too far to walk - if you go down Main street to casemates square there are a lot of arty craft places glass blowers and suchlike housed in an interesting set of buildings

here is a map Dock is in bottom left corner

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6d/30/b6/6d30b601630e1f39b53fe6044a33d58b.jpg

If you click it it makes it bigger (readable :) )

If you had time and the interest there are nice gardens but it is in the opposite direction to what you will be going so a longer walk. Top right corner of the map. As a in between maybe walk to the end of the

main street towards the garden to just beyond the stone arch to Trafalgar cemetary then back. The kings chapel is on the way.

Looking at google maps the Gibraltar Museum is at the South end of Main Street. Main Street is the main shopping strip. If you take Main Street to Casemate Square you will pass many shops and restaurants along the way. There will be many tourists so being solo shouldn’t be a problem. From Casemate Square it is a 20-30 minute walk to the port along a more commercial street. There were lots of people returning to the port when we did it so you would not be alone. There was also a shuttle you can pay for at the entrance to Casemate Square that will take you to the port if you don’t want to walk. This is based upon our visit in October.

Walking between the cruise pier and anywhere in town (during the daytime) would be fine for a solo female. And do not fear as there are no monkeys in this part of Gibraltar. Those creatures are all up on the Rock.

Hank

Walking between the cruise pier and anywhere in town (during the daytime) would be fine for a solo female. And do not fear as there are no monkeys in this part of Gibraltar. Those creatures are all up on the Rock.

Hank

I agree with Hank.

To me this is a very safe area.

Keith

I have lived in Gibraltar for 35 years. Whilst no place is completely trouble-free, I would walk anywhere in the daytime and most places in the evenings.

Take the normal precautions that any tourist would take and don't worry.

Most shops will be open on a Saturday afternoon. The only shops that close are those that have Jewish owners. If the sun is shining, it should be a very nice walk.

• 4 weeks later...

We did the Rock of Gibraltar, with transportation from the ship. We were on our own to get back to the ship. It was late May and very warm. The walk seemed to be endless. A previous poster said 20-30 minutes. I would say more like 45-55 minutes. We should have taken a taxi or the bus. By the way they will take Euro or pounds in the taxi. Found that out later!