Tuk tuk in lisbon

Has anyone used the tuk tuk that advertise at the cruise port. I wonder what the trip was like and how much they charge It would be for just for my husband and me

YES, as detailed below, plus with more items on my live/blog connected by the shown link, we did use a Tuk-Tuk. Love it. Worked super well for us and our interests. BUT, however, it is a highly personalized experience. So much depends on your driver, their personality, language skills, honesty, etc. Lots of factors, including for cost.

Like with most potential guide situation, you have to ask, negotiate a little, know what you seek and want, etc. Added questions on Lisbon? As shown with the "evidence" below, it is a super great city. Loved both Lisbon and Portugal.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Here are a few quick visual samples of our first visit to Lisbon. This includes the castle that towers over the town. This structure dates back to Roman and Moor times. Rode around on a fun Tuk Tuk vehicle to see parts of hilly old town areas. Below you can see my wife with the driver who gave us an introductory sample of hilly Lisbon getting ready for its big festival. Like the sunny, blue skies?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201541_zpseqxqlfz2.jpg

June%202017A%201543_zpsowhenzlq.jpg

June%202017A%201542_zpsgk6vvxjx.jpg

June%202017A%201544_zps3gpnqsv3.jpg

June%202017A%201545_zpsruxpebxe.jpg

June%202017A%201546_zpssfjgu1tc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Tuk Tuk's in Lisbon are called Auto Rickshaws or Auto Cycles. They can seat 2, 4, or 6 people depending upon size of the Tuk Tuk. They are now all electric. No more gas engines so they are quiet and pollution free. The Tuk Tuk's are not taxis and cannot be hailed on the street and don't take you from one place to another. There are designated places in the city where they await customers and you hire them by the hour or by the tour. They are not inexpensive as you will pay $40 to $60 per hour. However, if you have 6 people that is only $10 per hour per person. They are in effect tour vehicles with a driver. Many of the drivers, I'm told, have degrees and are very knowledgeable. If you are elderly, not medically fit for walking uphill, or you just don't want to walk up and down hills all day, then they will save you some energy and from sore feet and ankles.

http://lisbonguide.org/lisbon-tuk-tuk/

https://tuk-tuk-lisboa.pt/en/

https://www.lisbonguru.com/tuk-tuk-tour-lisbon/

As of the middle of 2017 by law all Tuk Tuk's in Portugal had to be electric driven. They have prices posted but face to face negotiation with the driver results in lower prices as there is a lot of competition and the locals don't use them only tourists.

http://lisbonguide.org/lisbon-tuk-tuk/

https://tuk-tuk-lisboa.pt/en/

https://www.lisbonguru.com/tuk-tuk-tour-lisbon/

As of the middle of 2017 by law all Tuk Tuk's in Portugal had to be electric driven. They have prices posted but face to face negotiation with the driver results in lower prices as there is a lot of competition and the locals don't use them only tourists.

Thank you very much Floridastorm for the links. Last question. Are there Tuk Tuk drivers at or near the pier for hire?

• Like 1

Thank you very much Floridastorm for the links. Last question. Are there Tuk Tuk drivers at or near the pier for hire?

The best thing to do is to contact 3 or 4 Tuk Tuk companies via the internet before you get on board the cruise. Find out which one has the best pricing. You may even be able to negotiate the price. Choose the one that has the best pricing but that is also legitimate. Arrange for them to meet you at the ship. If you wait until you are at the terminal there may not be any left, considering the amount of passengers that may want the same thing, and of course you are at their mercy as the Tuk Tuks are not metered like taxis and can charge you whatever outrageous amount they want. :)

The best thing to do is to contact 3 or 4 Tuk Tuk companies via the internet before you get on board the cruise. Find out which one has the best pricing. You may even be able to negotiate the price. Choose the one that has the best pricing but that is also legitimate. Arrange for them to meet you at the ship. If you wait until you are at the terminal there may not be any left, considering the amount of passengers that may want the same thing, and of course you are at their mercy as the Tuk Tuks are not metered like taxis and can charge you whatever outrageous amount they want. :)

Thank you very much for your help.

I am jealous I love Lisbon, easy city to visit was there December 2016. You can just walk around the old part. One thing we did and were very happy we did was visit the carriage museum very special. A bit different from the things we would usually have done. fa1becf6eda4fe9677763f1314e36c47.jpgbd5644fb6cbcaa9de7c367b9190905cd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As shown with the "evidence" below, it is a super great city. Loved both Lisbon and Portugal.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Terry - I admire your skill as a photographer - always such wonderful photos. Do you have a site wherein one can admire all the photos from your trips?

• 2 weeks later...

We did a tuk tuk tour in November , it was marvellous. The driver was fantastic, knowledgeable and funny. We had a great couple of hours and saw a lot more of the beautiful city than we would've otherwise done.

We did a tuk tuk tour in November , it was marvellous. The driver was fantastic, knowledgeable and funny. We had a great couple of hours and saw a lot more of the beautiful city than we would've otherwise done.

Hello Mia63. I got some excellent information from Floridastorm about Tuk tuts in Lisbon and I'm wondering if you can add any additional info. Such as, how and when you obtained their services and including costs. I thank you for any help that you can provide.

Hello Mia63. I got some excellent information from Floridastorm about Tuk tuts in Lisbon and I'm wondering if you can add any additional info. Such as, how and when you obtained their services and including costs. I thank you for any help that you can provide.

This may also help. They may be called from the cruise terminal or you can contact them before you leave on the cruise and have them meet you there. Also, my understanding is that many taxis, tour vans, and Tuk Tuks meet he ships when they arrive in Lisbon. I'm not sure about the prices and they are not cheap. However, depending on how many people you have, from one to six, it would be anywhere from $70 to $140 per hour. $70 for 3 people and $140 for 6 people. But, bargaining should make those figures less expensive.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&q=calling+a+tuk+tuk+in+lisbon&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=38719666,-9136927,1332&tbm=lcl&ved=0ahUKEwiMu5rJw57ZAhVMyVMKHb-TCkYQjGoIZQ&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:2&rldoc=1#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:!1m3!1d23019.664835542542!2d-9.13945145!3d38.72887035!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i143!2i355!4f13.1;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:2

Most appreciative Floridastorm.

Most of the reviews about the Tuk Tuk's are very good. I know they are far from cheap. But, the value that you get, having your own knowledgeable tour guy along with easily getting to and from many sights without wearing yourself out, is worth it. Going up and down those hills on cobblestones take their tole especially if you're older and not used to it. My wife and I walk to the places that are easily accessible and take public/private transportation everywhere else. A few extra dollars is worth it to us.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi, it's been a few years since this thread but I'm wondering, for those who have taken tuk tuk rides particularly around Spain ports, how comfortable is it? I posted in a FB group I had signed me and my mom up for Tuk Tuk rides (she has limited mobility) and someone said they can be uncomfortable on cobble stone streets. Well I don't know how many of those we'd be on and if that's any worse than trying to walk or take a taxi if the TT give us better views and getting around. Appreciate input.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm following this thread and hoping someone who has recently toured in Lisbon by tuk-tuk will add their experience. Did you book in advance via email? How much did they charge you? I assume one also tips at the end of the tour? Please add any and all info you will share.

A friend and I will be in Lisbon in May 2024 for 2 days pre-cruise. We're thinking of doing a tuk-tuk tour on our arrival day to get an orientation/overview of the city. I've been to Lisbon pre-cruise in 2019 but we didn't do a tuk-tuk tour. This will be my friend's first visit to Lisbon.

TIA!

I'm following as well. Port stop in Lisbon in September. Thinking about a tuk tuk for at least part of the day as I'm sure my ol' feet will welcome some time off! There is one I'm looking at on Viator's site - a tuk tuk street art tour, I've found only good reviews on it so far...

On 7/13/2023 at 3:33 AM, firstjourney said:

There is one I'm looking at on Viator's site - a tuk tuk street art tour,

Countless warnings on CC boards about Viator, not that they are a bad company, but warning that they are not   an actual tour operator, only a third party middleman so you do not know which tour company will be used.  It means that, should you have any issues, they will need to be addressed through Viator and not the tour company.

You may be able to find the actual tour operator by the description given on the Viator website. You could eg, do a description copy/paste then google and the name of the operator may appear in the results, or read the Viator description before reading descriptions of similar tours offered by tour companies to try and find a match.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are tuk-tuks all over Lisbon.  Not sure why there is an advantage to booking a tour vs just waking up to a driver and negotiating a deal.  We were just in Lisbon on Monday and could have found plenty of tuk tuks within a block of our hotel