Croatia

Yes, we did return and we plan to go back. On a land trip we took a ferry from Ancona, Italy to Split. Then we took the local Jadrolinija down the coast, stopping in various places, until we got to Dubrovnik. Then the ferry back to Bari, Italy.

Next time we are planning a driving vacation. Through national park, into Istria, and then down the coast. Wonderful country, friendly people. Safe? We felt safer there than we do in many places in the US.

Would you return to Croatia as a vacation destination in itself? Is it clean? Is it safe (we are seasoned travellers, so I mean beyond the obvious cautions...)? Thank you.

Yes we would, without a doubt. Clean, safe and beautiful. Each place is different. I booked private tours for the to of us. Well worth it.

Edited by SPacificbound
add

• 1 month later...

Hi, I wanted to find out if I wanted to take a taxi to do the cable car from cruise port is that possible or where would be the best place for a taxi to bring you to take the cable car. Also do most people do a round trip on the cable car. Thanks for any opionons.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I wanted to find out if I wanted to take a taxi to do the cable car from cruise port is that possible or where would be the best place for a taxi to bring you to take the cable car. Also do most people do a round trip on the cable car. Thanks for any opionons.

Most folk go from cruise port to walled city (something under 2 miles) in ships' shuttles or local bus or taxi.

And many of them will do a round-trip on the cablecar during the day.

But yes, you can take a taxi from the cruise berths to the bottom cablecar station & that would save the time & effort of a moderately short but moderately steep walk from the walled city's Pila Gate to the cablecar.

Or better still IMHO take a taxi from cruise berths to the top cablecar station then come down by cablecar.

More expensive, though you can probably share the taxi with others with same idea. That also avoids any line at the bottom station, and gives you the perspective from both road & cablecar.

I don't know the cablecar's fare structure ie whether one-way is half the cost of a two-way ticket but that's what I'd do even if one-way was poorer value.

I do know that ships' shuttles are for both ways, so taxi out & shuttle back is more expensive - but again I rate the difference worthwhile.

Only caveat is if there's low cloud in the morning - if so, mebbe head first to the walled city when the walls will be cooler & less-crowded, and do the cablecar later if the cloud clears.

Just MHO as always

JB :)

• 5 months later...
Croatia is a wonderfull safe country with lovely people . Mostly unspoilt you will really enjoy. Dont miss out on their wines .

YES! Croatia is wonderful. From the Wall Street Journal this weekend, they have this headline: Guide to Croatia’s Island Hideouts with these highlights: “With a thousand islands scattered along their country’s jade-green Adriatic coast, from deserted flyspecks to hipster outposts, there’s no shortage of places to lick one’s wounds—or bask in silver-medal glory (of their nation's World Cup team). The international jet set has long crowed about Hvar, where the main town features a postcard-perfect harbor and raucous nightlife, while more budget-minded beachgoers and water sports enthusiasts gravitate to Brac. History buffs tend to seek out Losinj, a favorite retreat in the days of the Habsburg Empire, and little-known Ciovo is starting to catch on with trendsetters.

In this profile are a number of great locations to consider if you want to expand your Croatian experiences beyond just wonderful Dubrovnik. Love to go back to this charming and scenic region. We only were able to enjoy Dubrovnik in 2011 (and nearby Kotor). Seeking to see and do more in the future, including sampling some of these locations mentioned in this WSJ article.

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-guide-to-croatias-island-hideouts-1532024681

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 42,533 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

One of our best holidays was a 7 day small boat(20 cabins) cruise on the Croatian coast with Katerina Lines. It started and ended in Split and we also went to Dubrovnik, Hvar & Korcula. It was half board, so you got off at night to eat in the port. Every day the boat moored up in a bay so we could swim off the back.

Sent from my iPad using Forums