Best Baltic Port of Call for a Bicycle tour?

Hello. Between Copenhagen, Aarhus, Helsinki, Tallinn or Stockholm, we'd like to know the best port of call to do a Bicycle tour. Our only criteria would be whether the city is best seen on foot or by bicycle. If most attractions involve touring inside buildings (i.e. museums, historical buildings), then these might be better on foot. Cities which are more spread out or have more scenic beauty may be better suited for bicycles. Also, we will have two days each in Copenhagen and Stockholm. So, we can possibly do walking and bicycling in those cities. Thanks!

I think Copenhagen would be best since there are lots of bicycles there and they have special bike and foot path lanes. Tallinn is very hilly. Helsinki would be good, especially along the Bay of Finland.

I’ve not been to Aarhus, and we did an outside the city Helsinki excursion, but I’d have to agree with Copenhagen. It’s got nice wide flat streets and a strong bicycle culture. Tallinn has killer cobblestones in the old town that would make cycling almost impossible. Same for Gamla Stan in Stockholm, though you could ride outside the old town there.

Yes, there are a lot of cyclists in Copenhagen and it’s relatively flat, but I think you get a much better insight into the city by doing a walking tour than a cycling tour. I recommend the Copenhagen Free Walking Tours.

If you are stopping in Warnemuende (or Rostock), you can rent bicycles in Warnemuende and ride all day along the scenic bike trail that hugs the coastline. We had a fantastic morning doing this—and could easily have spent all day cycling had we not been going to the Stasi Museum in Rostock in the afternoon.

In my book, riding on a quiet, scenic bike trail trumps riding in a crowded city any day.