I want feedback on Pre-Stay Venice plan.

CruiseCat99

We are cruising out of Venice this coming September. We are planning on 3 days (2 nights) in/around Venice before we set sail. Looking at the time of year (Film festival) and available hotels, we are contemplating staying on the mainland (Mestre) and taking the public transportation into Venice each day. The hotel we are looking at has a cruise transport, so that will be taken care of for use. We are thinking of buying a 2 day tourist transportation for each of us, so we can get back and forth and around as much as we want. Our primary reason for wanting to stay on the mainland is cost. We can stay for 1/4 the price of staying in Venice (those specific days), and much better quality hotel. Well, as much as you can tell from reviews and pictures. We still plan to spend plenty of time walking around, taking a gondola ride, eating the wonderful food, and getting lots in Venice. Will we REALLY miss out if we don't stay in IN Venice???

Our primary reason for wanting to stay on the mainland is cost. We can stay for 1/4 the price of staying in Venice (those specific days), and much better quality hotel. Well, as much as you can tell from reviews and pictures. We still plan to spend plenty of time walking around, taking a gondola ride, eating the wonderful food, and getting lots in Venice. Will we REALLY miss out if we don't stay in IN Venice???

We have stayed in both Venice and Mestre. Nothing, IMHO, compares to actually staying in Venice. However, on one of our visits to Venice, we stayed 5 nights at Mestre's Hotel Villa Costanza. We stayed in Mestre for precisely the same reason that you are contemplating your Mestre stay - to save money. 5 nights in Venice was extremely expensive for the 3 of us.

It was the first visit to Venice for my niece & she loved Venice - she did not feel that she missed out by staying in Mestre. Each morning, we took an early morning train to Venice (hotel was about a 5 minute walk to the train station) and usually took the train back to Mestre around midnight. We did purchase vaporetto passes in Venice as we wanted to visit Murano & Burano but we purchased our train tickets each morning at the train station (used the machines - very easy).

On the morning of the 6th day, we booked a taxi to the cruise port (although the hotel also provided a shuttle).

So, long story short - although others may disagree, we did not feel that we missed out by staying in Mestre.

This is almost completely a matter of preference.

I have stayed in Mestre and in Venice several times. I would never voluntarily stay in Mestre again. But to me, staying IN the place that I want to visit is a very important criteria, and I am willing to pay more for a well-located, central hotel and will be more frugal in other ways instead (e.g., take public transportation, do my own touring, etc.).

I am an evening person anyway. I enjoy a nice dinner and walking around in the evening afterwards. In Venice it is so much more pleasant in the evenings when the majority of tourists have gone.

I also like knowing that I can go back to my hotel during the day for a quick after-lunch power nap or maybe to change my shoes, lol.

Other people have different preferences. Some enjoy the savings (and I can understand that during the Art Festival accommodations must be pricey!). Others like quieter surroundings, or they conk out right after dinner anyway.

But if it were me, I'd stay in Venice.

We are cruising out of Venice this coming September. We are planning on 3 days (2 nights) in/around Venice before we set sail. Looking at the time of year (Film festival) and available hotels, we are contemplating staying on the mainland (Mestre) and taking the public transportation into Venice each day. The hotel we are looking at has a cruise transport, so that will be taken care of for use. We are thinking of buying a 2 day tourist transportation for each of us, so we can get back and forth and around as much as we want. Our primary reason for wanting to stay on the mainland is cost. We can stay for 1/4 the price of staying in Venice (those specific days), and much better quality hotel. Well, as much as you can tell from reviews and pictures. We still plan to spend plenty of time walking around, taking a gondola ride, eating the wonderful food, and getting lots in Venice. Will we REALLY miss out if we don't stay in IN Venice???

yes , you will be really miss out and you will regret it after. Look for B&B in Venice hey much cheaper and cleaner that most hotels.

I have stayed in Mestre and in Venice several times. I would never voluntarily stay in Mestre again. But to me, staying IN the place that I want to visit is a very important criteria, and I am willing to pay more for a well-located, central hotel and will be more frugal in other ways instead (e.g., take public transportation, do my own touring, etc.).

I am an evening person anyway. I enjoy a nice dinner and walking around in the evening afterwards. In Venice it is so much more pleasant in the evenings when the majority of tourists have gone.

I also like knowing that I can go back to my hotel during the day for a quick after-lunch power nap or maybe to change my shoes, lol.

Other people have different preferences. Some enjoy the savings (and I can understand that during the Art Festival accommodations must be pricey!). Others like quieter surroundings, or they conk out right after dinner anyway.

Exactly. We used to go 2-3 times per day back to our room, plus to wake up in morning and see Venice in the window is cost every penny we paid.

If this may be the only time you are going to Venice, I would stay in Venice. I spent 3 days before my cruise left, I wish I would have spent more time. Like said before, you can get back to your room much easier. Lots to see and do. If you do stay in Venice and you are awake before 7am. Open a window or go outside. All the church bells start ringing and if you can see the canal, it really comes to life. For eats, look for the little places off the beaten path. I had some wonderful food in these places.

I agree with the above post. I will be in Venice in April for 2 nits .. when we travel it’s LOCATION.. We are staying at Hotel Becher, 3star boutique hotel. It’s not that much more than staying off island, after the considering costs of taking transportation everyday to Venice island. The convenience can’t be beat. There are other ways to save monies if that is the issue. Take FREE walking tours.. find small restaurants off the beaten path for low cost meals.

We have stayed in both areas and If budget is important, you will be absolutely fine in Mestre. It's quite a pleasant little area and you will still have lots of time to see Venice and go sightseeing. You will still be able to see Venice in the evening if you wish but bear in mind that Venice 'closes' down early at night anyway. Our hotel in Mestre had an exceptionally excellent restaurant - certainly as good (and possibly better) than in the centre at half the cost. You will be fine in Mestre.

:DThank you for the replies. With 18 days worth of luggage, our Luxurious Silversea cruise to follow our stay in Venice, we decided to stay cheaper near the airport and travel back and forth each day. It is worth it to us to not worry about luggage until we have to take it to the cruise port. We aren’t really “go back to the room” during the day people, so travel in once a day doesn’t seem like seem like a bother. We are saving €800 over our first three picks in the lagoon. We also have 3 nights post cruise in Greece to think about, so that kind of sealed the deal for us.

Thanks again for the feedback!

I think your plan is really good. I have stayed in Venice a couple times and it was magical but there is nothing wrong with going back and forth especially if you can save money. I take the airport bus each time I am in Venice both ways and it is very easy and safe. Venice is very walkable. Take the water busses/taxis to Burano and Murano. I loved Burano. I actually will stay there next time Im in the area instead of Venice. It was quieter, less expensive and so pretty.

Hi Cynthia, I will be sailing out of VENICE in July and it is my first time visiting:D.......I am going to use the search

feature too but do you have hotel preferences/recommendations?.........and anyone can answer that one too:)

Hi Cynthia, I will be sailing out of VENICE in July and it is my first time visiting:D.......I am going to use the search

feature too but do you have hotel preferences/recommendations?.........and anyone can answer that one too:)

Hi Lois -- is this a replacement for the trip you thought you'd be taking to Ireland?

As a matter of fact, I was just in Venice in November and did a lot of research because I wanted a really convenient and well-located hotel. I chose the Sina Palazzo Sant'Angelo. It's a renovated palazzo right on the grand canal and one of the best things about it is that it has both a vaporetto stop and an Alilaguna stop just about 50 yards from the hotel, with no bridges to cross.

This makes it so easy to take Alilaguna (the water bus that services the airport) direct to your hotel without schlepping your luggage very much. And once at the hotel, you can take the vaporetto if you want -- but also the hotel is about a 20 minute walk from either Saints Marks square or the Rialto bridge, two of the main areas of sightseeing.

We did not pay for a canal view room (those are more expensive in any hotel) but we loved the hotel decor, friendly staff and very good breakfasts.

We weren't in Venice before or after a cruise, but we did use the regular vaporetto to get to the train station on our last day. You could take it one stop further to Piazzale Roma, then catch the People Mover to the port.

Hi Lois -- is this a replacement for the trip you thought you'd be taking to Ireland?

As a matter of fact, I was just in Venice in November and did a lot of research because I wanted a really convenient and well-located hotel. I chose the Sina Palazzo Sant'Angelo. It's a renovated palazzo right on the grand canal and one of the best things about it is that it has both a vaporetto stop and an Alilaguna stop just about 50 yards from the hotel, with no bridges to cross.

This makes it so easy to take Alilaguna (the water bus that services the airport) direct to your hotel without schlepping your luggage very much. And once at the hotel, you can take the vaporetto if you want -- but also the hotel is about a 20 minute walk from either Saints Marks square or the Rialto bridge, two of the main areas of sightseeing.

We did not pay for a canal view room (those are more expensive in any hotel) but we loved the hotel decor, friendly staff and very good breakfasts.

We weren't in Venice before or after a cruise, but we did use the regular vaporetto to get to the train station on our last day. You could take it one stop further to Piazzale Roma, then catch the People Mover to the port.

Hi, actually, I booked this a while ago.......so not a full replacement for that trip but yes, a bigger gift to me from me:D

I consider it one 60th birthday gift LOL...........let me ask you something.....once I arrive at the airport, can't I take a

car service to the hotel? I have been researching Trip Advisor today.......lots of nice looking places.........I will

google the place you stayed:)

.....once I arrive at the airport, can't I take a

car service to the hotel? I have been researching Trip Advisor today.......lots of nice looking places.........I will

google the place you stayed:)

Wheeled vehicles can only go as far as Piazzale Roma, which is a main transportation hub right as you arrive at the island of Venice proper. Buses or taxis from the airport will drop you here. There are some hotels on or near this Piazza, which makes it easier should you want to take a bus or car from the airport.

Many cruisers stay on the vicinity of Piazzale Roma for the convenience of arrival from airport and departure by ship. But for me it's not the prettiest area of Venice and is always very busy.

Being able to take the Alilaguna from the airport sort of takes away the disadvantages of not being on Piazzale Roma for this hotel.

The Alilaguna boats aren't the expensive water taxis. They are like a 'waterbus' with set routes, but I'd say the main reason people use them is to get from the airport into Venice and also from hotels to the cruise port. You are okay to bring luggage on board, and if you take it from the airport, they actually stow it for you.

Wheeled vehicles can only go as far as Piazzale Roma, which is a main transportation hub right as you arrive at the island of Venice proper. Buses or taxis from the airport will drop you here. There are some hotels on or near this Piazza, which makes it easier should you want to take a bus or car from the airport.

Many cruisers stay on the vicinity of Piazzale Roma for the convenience of arrival from airport and departure by ship. But for me it's not the prettiest area of Venice and is always very busy.

Being able to take the Alilaguna from the airport sort of takes away the disadvantages of not being on Piazzale Roma for this hotel.

The Alilaguna boats aren't the expensive water taxis. They are like a 'waterbus' with set routes, but I'd say the main reason people use them is to get from the airport into Venice and also from hotels to the cruise port. You are okay to bring luggage on board, and if you take it from the airport, they actually stow it for you.

Thanks for that information..........I will have to do all my research:)........

Good morning..........I am booked for 2 nights at The Bauer Palazzo........it looks fantastic:D and yes, it is pricier than I normally spend but it is saved for and you only turn 60 once;)

Good morning..........I am booked for 2 nights at The Bauer Palazzo........it looks fantastic:D and yes, it is pricier than I normally spend but it is saved for and you only turn 60 once;)

It's wonderful. Make sure you have lunch on the terrace while you are there.

Question: I will be in Venice for 3 nights pre-cruise -and then will go to Rome for 2 nights then cruise... my question: Airport transport: private pre-booked vehicle that will get me about 700 meters from Hotel...for 3 people.... or a shared shuttle or take a bus and get dropped off at the same spot. In my opinion it is totally worth the extra money for the car/shared shuttle. I am flying from Vancouver to NYC (2 flights there) then I will meet my 18 year old niece and 22 year old nephew and fly over from JFK.... do I really want the hassle of a bus ride???? Any opinions....I checked the water taxi/transport and my hotel is not close enough to make it worth while. I don't mind spending a bit extra for a shared shuttle or car...as I arrive in Venice at 7:30 pm

What bus are you referring to and what location will they drop you off? If it's the ATVO private bus (not the ACTV public) from the airport to Pizzale Roma, its not a hassle. It goes directly from the Airport to P. Roma Your luggage gets stored underneath in the storage area, and you board a nice bus that goes directly to the plaza. Is the cost of a private vehicle more or less than 3 adult tickets on the ATVO bus? one way ticket is 8 Euro, or 7 euro for 2-8 tickets.

• 1 month later...

We will be in Venice next fall (pre-cruise) and thinking of renting through Airbnb. Can you give me a couple of ideas for good areas (or areas to avoid) in Venice. (able-bodied mid-60s). Thanks.