What do you tip your Italy Tour Guides (All Around Tours)?

dcarter4

Italy does not have a tipping culture like the US. Please do not tip 15% or 20%. You would almost never find an Italian tipping at that level. Honestly, no tip should be "expected" there, but a token tip (perhaps 5%) if the tour guide does something above and beyond would be within normal ranges.

Guides, waiters, and most people who in the US depend on tips to make a living wage are in a different situation in Europe. They already are paid a living wage.

Many Americans will go in and insist that they are "doing no harm" by tipping at a high level and that nothing is wrong with it as "my tip was accepted".

But it's important to know and abide by the local culture, or the local culture in the end suffers.

We fully expect Europeans to accept our tipping culture when they visit the US; why is it so hard to do the same when visiting elsewhere?

Here's another good post on the topic by a longtime traveler and cruiser and frequent poster here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53108054&postcount=22

• 2 weeks later...

When does the tipping stop. Do we start tipping our flight attendants? In Canada I remember when 10% tip was the norm. Now 20% is not considered hefty. Our province Ontario is moving to move minimum wage jobs to a Living wage. Bet most people still maintain their tipping practice.

Thank you Dwayne & Kell for having the sense to ask.:)

Except in a few countries like Japan where tipping is actually an insult, a tip is nice way to say thank-you for good service. .

But as per the post by cruisemom & the linked post by Hank, in Europe a tip is not presumed & you'll not be chased down the street if you tip nothing. And if you do tip, it's at nowhere near the levels of the US - 5% or thereabouts is fine, I'll sometimes tip double that & sometimes tip nothing. It really is entirely up to the giver - give what the guy/gal deserves.

BTW the US culture has reached the European shores & many restaurants in tourist areas add a service charge (regardless of the size of the party) of 12 to 15 per-cent. Wherever I can I avoid places that make a service charge (by law in all EU countries a service charge must be clearly displayed on menus) and I have never ever paid both a service charge and a tip.

JB :)

• 2 weeks later...
10-20%...

Regarding tipping being an insult, I'll take my gratuity back when it's refused, until then I shall err on the side of generosity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

as cruisemom said it's changing expectations of local culture

your gratuity wont be refused but the locals wont see it as generosity but see you as throwing your money around/a mug and will expect the same overtipping from all from USA

we have booked a private tour in St Peterburg[Russia] this summer and the company states in FAQ that tipping is expected to Western standards of 10-15%

That's not Western standards of Europe but USA and shows that their primary clientele are American especially as they quote in US dollars[we are from UK]

When tour per person is around $300 expected tip of $35 pp is getting a bit silly especially as I doubt people on ships big bus excursions will drop that much into tip bucket at end

I've started to think in terms of a standard tip based on length of tour

at risk of being flamed what do others think

10-20%...

Regarding tipping being an insult, I'll take my gratuity back when it's refused, until then I shall err on the side of generosity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is exactly the sort of attitude that makes you look like an arrogant American. When I go to your country I follow your norms and culture . Would you please be kind enough to show the same respect when you go to other countries.

For example, it has become more expected in Australian hotels that some porters will wait for a tip after delivering the bags. This is because of American habits. I know the porters are earning good money, especially on weekends and after hours, so I don't think a tip is appropriate for doing their job.

The funny thing I find is then I will hear Americans complain about how expensive it is in Australia.....well please stop tipping so much.

Julie

Agree with frantic, we have got to get off this tipping culture. In the UK It has largely died, the advent of plastic payment and a service charge in many restaurants, mean leaving coins/ notes is rare. Even in a taxi it is just rounding up expected. In the USA we find the process a nightmare, it puts us off enjoying the place, the hand out culture has got silly !!

It's why we have sailed Regent, all inclusive of tips, no need to think or keep a roll of $1 notes handy. Also on land trips in USA have used Tauck ,same policy all included up front. No need for this do I or don't I tip moment.

10-20%...

You are not being generous, you are being "unaware." In other countries, people are paid full wages for their work. In the US there are two pay scales: a full wage and a miserably-low tip-dependent wage. While in the US, do you tip a store clerk? Do you tip a nurse? Do you tip a teacher? Would they be insulted if you do?

Guides are professionals. They quote you a price for their contract and that is what they expect to be paid. Do you tip your electrician or do you just pay the bill? Do you tip your dentist or do you just pay the bill?

And if they "just took your money," what do they think of you? "Generous" or something else?

Companies that quote "expected tips" to Americans are just taking advantage of ignorance to hike their prices. If you check their websites in other languages you will see no mention of tips.

This is exactly the sort of attitude that makes you look like an arrogant American. When I go to your country I follow your norms and culture . Would you please be kind enough to show the same respect when you go to other countries.

For example, it has become more expected in Australian hotels that some porters will wait for a tip after delivering the bags. This is because of American habits. I know the porters are earning good money, especially on weekends and after hours, so I don't think a tip is appropriate for doing their job.

The funny thing I find is then I will hear Americans complain about how expensive it is in Australia.....well please stop tipping so much.

Julie

Julie well said! As a Canadian we are now tipping from 15 to 20 percent. It is so refreshing to travel Europe where tipping is rare. People are being paid a real living wage unlike the Americas. Canada is moving to a living minimum wage, we expect that tipping will be adjusted accordingly once fully implemented.

She'll be right

! (y)(y):beer-mug::beer-mug:

Edited by The Wood Duck
addition text

• 3 weeks later...

This topic has been beaten to death on Cruise Critic in thread after thread. Situations differ since tipping is a personal decision. Most European tour companies suggest a tip of $5 to $10 per day for the Tour Manager, $3 to $5 per day for the driver, and anywhere between $5 and $10 per day for local guides. Local guides will give you a variety of answers regarding tips for waiters. Some say nothing, some say round up the bill, and some say 10% tip for good service. European cruise lines deduct the same amount of tip regardless of where in theworld they cruise. So, once again, after much discussion there is no single answer!

Most European tour companies suggest a tip of $5 to $10 per day for the Tour Manager, $3 to $5 per day for the driver, and anywhere between $5 and $10 per day for local guides. Local guides will give you a variety of answers regarding tips for waiters. Some say nothing, some say round up the bill, and some say 10% tip for good service. European cruise lines deduct the same amount of tip regardless of where in theworld they cruise. So, once again, after much discussion there is no single answer!
Sorry, but NO. Do not extrapolate information provided in a very specific situation to mean anything more than what it is.

Tour groups that sell in the States do put this in their literature because (1) they know people will tip and will ask how much and (2) more importantly, they use the American tipping culture to negotiate better rates with suppliers (they promise to do what they can to get cash tips to the supplier's employees, allowing them to avoid taxes on that income).

I do a lot of work organizing tour groups from America and it has been this way for at least the last decade that I've been doing it.

Same holds true for Australia and New Zealand. We've been politely turned down when offering a tip. The response has been "Have a good time here and tell your friends to visit us." Loved those countries!

Sorry, but NO. Do not extrapolate information provided in a very specific situation to mean anything more than what it is.

Tour groups that sell in the States do put this in their literature because (1) they know people will tip and will ask how much and (2) more importantly, they use the American tipping culture to negotiate better rates with suppliers (they promise to do what they can to get cash tips to the supplier's employees, allowing them to avoid taxes on that income).

I do a lot of work organizing tour groups from America and it has been this way for at least the last decade that I've been doing it.

So, what is point to your post? Never tip anyone in Europe?

The point of my post was exactly what I said, understand why a tour company would tell you this and do not extrapolate that to mean tipping is appropriate in any other situation. Just because a group tour company wants you to do something (in their own interest, not yours) does not mean when you travel on your own it's necessary or even appropriate.

• 1 month later...