Rome: One day before cruise

Empehi

Flying into ROM the day before our cruise: Should we stay near airport? Should we stay in Rome? or Should we stay on the way or near the port? Arriving around 11AM. We have done the Rome stuff on earlier cruises ( Coliseum, Vatican etc).

Any recommendations or ideas would be extremely helpful.

E

We have decided to book a hotel in Civitavecchia ( the port for Rome) for a couple of night before our cruise in July. We have toured everything we want to see in Rome. Civitavecchia looks like quite a nice seaside place as well as being a port. There is some information about it here https://www.civitavecchiaport.org/civitavecchia/

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The First time I went to Rome, I stayed at Hotel Santa Maria (Travestere (sp) area)- loved that area so much. In July we stayed at an airbnb in that area which was awesome as well. I can get the link if you like? It slept 4. We did a night tour for the first time. Rome at night I think it was called through Joe Bananas. IT was awesome. It was a cool way to see all the sights in the evening instead of the day. Cities look different somehow at night for me with the light views. The tour I can highly recommend and the driver of Joe Bananas Limos was so cool. We had a great time.

I would always recommend staying in Rome versus staying in Civitavecchia. There are literally dozens -- no, hundreds -- of worthwhile things to see in Rome. I've been there many times and am currently planning another four night stay in May -- still finding new things to do and see.

Civitavecchia does not have much to recommend it other than being near the port. It's not what you think of as a charming Italian town....

If you need recommendations on where to stay in Rome -- stay in the historic center. There are lots of options that have been recently discussed in other threads. I would be happy to also provide ideas on what to see & do, if you list what you've done already.

My husband didn’t like Rome - too dirty and crowded.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I envy your opportunity to do an overnight in Rome. I would just love the opportunity to wander around after the hoardes have left - but we are all different.

If you are staying in Civitavecchia for two nights I would recommend visiting Tarquinia during your full day. We have been to Rome on multiple day trips and because we were there on a Bank Holiday on our last trip I thought it might work out better (it meant we had a reduced bus service so a bit of hanging around, but it was lovely).

Tarquinia is a beautiful town and the Etruscan tombs it is famous for are really interesting.