Buying People Mover Tickets

nmsk5

I've read that the lines to buy tickets for the People Mover can be really long, especially at the end of a cruise. Can tickets be bought online ahead of time or can you buy round trip when you buy the first ticket?

You can purchase additional tickets when convenient. They do not expire until you validate them. I would suggest you purchase the tickets while in Venice before the cruise and then have them available to just validate when you walk off your cruise. If there are 3 or 4 of you, you could also consider taking a taxi from the ship to the Piazza Roma. That will cost you 20 Euro but save you the walk to the people mover in the early morning hours.

People Mover tickets are about 1.5 Euros and are purchased from a vending machine. You simply drop in your Euros and out pops the ticket or tickets. There are several machines at the port station. However, if you get a bunch of cruisers who have no clue how to use a ticket machine..then you can get lines. As I recall there are instructions in English.....but apparently not all cruisers can handle a modern machine :). I am not aware of any way to buy these tickets online. But when you do purchase tickets at the port station you can buy as many as you please (the ticket can only be used one time).

The entire People Mover operation is automated. There generally are no humans working at the port station and the trains operate on their own without a driver/conductor. There is a staff person at the Piazale Roma station but they are generally out of sight :).

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
I read on one post that it's just as easy to walk (which isn't that long) instead of waiting in line for the people mover.

When you get to Venice give that walk a try and see if you agree :). And yes, we have done that walk more then a few times...and also used the People Mover. And despite having used the People Mover more then a dozen times we have never waited in line...other then waiting for a few slow souls to figure out how to use the ticket vending machine. There are no lines for the People Mover....but there can be a line for the ticket vending machines...especially when you get folks that cannot figure out how to use a vending machine (that has the instructions in English).

There is no line for the People Mover trains as they are multiple cars with plenty of standing room. Once you have a ticket you just use it to get through the turnstyle...go up the escalator and wait for the next train. The entire process is automated...and there are generally not even any folks working at the port station. Even the People Mover is totally automated and has no driver or employees on the train.

Hank