Amalfi Coast - transportation by boat

cruisesusie

There are a number of ferries that connect Sorrento, Capri, Amalfi and Salerno. If you like, you can catch the ferries in one direction and return via the local bus service along the Amalfi Coast.

https://amalfiitaly.ca/transportation/ferryservice.html

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Susan

If doing this on your own on a port visit day, just be aware of the timings involved. The ferries don't run continuously and the buses along the Amalfi Coast drive can be supercrowded in the peak season months.

I'd suggest limiting yourself to one or two towns if you choose to DIY this way.

DIY the best way to maximize your time is to take the first train you can get from Naples to Salerno and ferries from there.

Just as an example, if your ship arrives to Naples at 7 AM you should be able to make either the 7:55 train from Naples Centrale to Salerno, arriving at 8:38 or the 8:35, arriving at 9:12. Either one allows you to connect to the 9:40 ferry which takes you to either Amalfi (arrives 10:15 AM) or Positano (arrives just before 11 AM).

These are 2017 ferries times but I wouldn't expect they'll change a whole lot: http://www.travelmar.it/it/orari

Yes, Salerno is a much better location for what you want to do.

There are a few ferries each day from Molo Manfredi, where the cruise ships port. There are even more from the Concordia dock, about a mile and a half further down the waterfront.

The 2018 schedules won't be posted until they start (or just before) in April.

I have not see Salerno on an itinerary -- is this a larger 'popular' cruise line or one of the smaller luxury lines? Also, do any of the larger cruise ships go along the Amalfi coast?

Thank you

The Vision of the Seas will be stopping in Salerno May 30 as part of a 12 night cruise from Barcelona.