Train from FCO to Civitavecchia...is it doable with luggage?

azzy73

I’ve been looking into options to get from FCO to Civitavvechia. I’m very tempted for us to take the train as shuttles and taxis are quite expensive for the three of us. I’m just a little worried about navigating around with luggage. Our bags will be full size rolling suitcases and weigh less than 50 lb each. We are all capable of carrying up some stairs if needed. We are in no rush as our flight arrives day before cruise leaves and we have hotel booked in Civitavecchia the night before. Is this doable? How easy is it to buy tickets, navigate around station, find spots on train where we can keep luggage with us etc. Also what is easiest route considering we are in no time crunch. TIA!

"Easiest" is in the eye of the beholder. So lets first talk about the trains. You have two options from FCO. One is the Leonardo Express...which is a modern train with plenty of room for luggage and can take you directly from the airport to the main Rome Termini Station. From there you can walk to the distant track from which the various regional trains depart with a stop at Civitavecchia. The problem with this plan is that the Leonardo Express costs about double the regular trains. Also, the Termini Station is actually the most distant from both FCO and Civitavecchia.

So, here is the other more challenging plan. Take the regular regional train from FCO (the airport) towards Rome and get off at the Rome Trastevere Station where you can then transfer to the next regional train heading towards Civitavecchia (which are actually the same regional trains tat start at Rome Termini). This saves you some time (although you can wait a long time for connections) and money. You also avoid having to deal with the huge Termini Station. You can purchase the train tickets right in the airport at its train station. The regional trains have an overhead luggage rack...but your luggage might be too large (and heavy) to use the rack. If that is the case you will generally need to stash your luggage near the end of the car (where there is some space). But, a basic rule of travel in Italy is that you never leave luggage unattended unless its very secure. So we always carry a small luggage cable lock (you can buy them online from many places including Amazon) which we use to secure our luggage together (by running the cable through their handles) and also securing it to something on the train. You can then sit anywhere in the car...but its still smart to watch your luggage when you pull into stations.

Once you arrive at Civitavecchia you can purchase shuttle bus tickets (in the station) that will take you to the transfer point where you can then transfer over to the free port shuttle buses that will take you to your ship. I think that the shuttle bus from the Civitavecchia Station to the trainsfer point costs about 2€. You get these buses right across the street from the main entrance of the Civitavecchia Station.

So you are doing all this to save some money :). But it does work.

Hank

"Easiest" is in the eye of the beholder. So lets first talk about the trains. You have two options from FCO. One is the Leonardo Express...which is a modern train with plenty of room for luggage and can take you directly from the airport to the main Rome Termini Station. From there you can walk to the distant track from which the various regional trains depart with a stop at Civitavecchia. The problem with this plan is that the Leonardo Express costs about double the regular trains. Also, the Termini Station is actually the most distant from both FCO and Civitavecchia.

So, here is the other more challenging plan. Take the regular regional train from FCO (the airport) towards Rome and get off at the Rome Trastevere Station where you can then transfer to the next regional train heading towards Civitavecchia (which are actually the same regional trains tat start at Rome Termini). This saves you some time (although you can wait a long time for connections) and money. You also avoid having to deal with the huge Termini Station. You can purchase the train tickets right in the airport at its train station. The regional trains have an overhead luggage rack...but your luggage might be too large (and heavy) to use the rack. If that is the case you will generally need to stash your luggage near the end of the car (where there is some space). But, a basic rule of travel in Italy is that you never leave luggage unattended unless its very secure. So we always carry a small luggage cable lock (you can buy them online from many places including Amazon) which we use to secure our luggage together (by running the cable through their handles) and also securing it to something on the train. You can then sit anywhere in the car...but its still smart to watch your luggage when you pull into stations.

Once you arrive at Civitavecchia you can purchase shuttle bus tickets (in the station) that will take you to the transfer point where you can then transfer over to the free port shuttle buses that will take you to your ship. I think that the shuttle bus from the Civitavecchia Station to the trainsfer point costs about 2€. You get these buses right across the street from the main entrance of the Civitavecchia Station.

So you are doing all this to save some money :). But it does work.

Hank

Thank you. The cable lock is a great idea. I would rather avoid Termini station so we will probably opt to go to Trastevere station then switch trains.

We used the train to get from Rome to civitavecchia and then again to the airport post cruise. If you are reasonably fit and traveled and able to handle lifting your luggage above your head and carrying it up and down stairs (which to me, all of these things are routine for European travel); the train is perfectly fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Take a car service

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you have one to recommend that doesn’t cost a fortune? So far I’ve seen nothing under 150 euros for 3 people one way. That’s $186 usd. That seems outrageous.

I believe that you are correct. Down and up as I recall.:(

Depends on which platform you arrive at. We arrived at Platform 1, so right at the station - no stairs.

Do you have one to recommend that doesn’t cost a fortune? So far I’ve seen nothing under 150 euros for 3 people one way. That’s $186 usd. That seems outrageous.

Well, it is a fair distance. That said, the price difference with the train is so great that it really makes sense to take the train if you can. The key is being able to handle your luggage - if you can do that, you should be fine.

The more I read about the train the more I’m worried about how much hassle it is with luggage. Even if we pack light we will still need large suitcases. We are gong for 11 nights and a carry on is not going to cut it. We will also be getting off a flight in the AM after traveling for 18 hours. We will be exhausted. I can see it being easy with no luggage but with three large bags, and my mom is 69. She can definitely do the walking but may have trouble lifting bag up many stairs and I don’t think any of us can lift 50 lb bags over our head (and not sure why would need to). I’m getting many conflicting answers. I wish I could see inside train so I could understand what people are talking about.

Edited by azzy73

We used the train to get from Rome to civitavecchia and then again to the airport post cruise. If you are reasonably fit and traveled and able to handle lifting your luggage above your head and carrying it up and down stairs (which to me, all of these things are routine for European travel); the train is perfectly fine.

We will have 3 full size roller suitcases probably weighing at least 35-45 lbs each with the 3 of us, I’m 44 yr old woman and in very good shape, daughter is 22 and in good shape and mother is 69 and in fair shape. Does this seem doable? We will be tired after long flight from Vancouver Canada.

Here's a pretty detailed breakdown of what you'll need to do:

After you claim your luggage at FCO airport, you will need to get to the train station. It's not far but you will need to follow the signs. I generally go outside the terminal, cross the access street, then take the escalator up one level where the train station is. There are elevators at the same place as the escalators.

Purchasing tickets is easy. I would go the route of FCO to Trastevere station to Civitavecchia and since you are not in a rush, I'd go to the ticket window and tell them you want to take the regional train, not the express train (which is called the Leonardo Express).

Getting on and off the trains requires going up about 3-4 narrow steps to get on the train carriage. There are NO porters and you do not want to accept help from anyone, trust me. (They are after a hefty tip or your bags....) If you have full-size bags it may be easiest to have one person board first, then stand at the top and take the bags of the others. Also note -- regional trains do not have assigned seats, so you can just board any carriage.

Full-size bags such as you describe will likely not fit in the overhead rack, which is not as roomy as airline overheads. There are luggage racks at one end of the car, sometimes at both ends, and sometimes also there are small storage areas between seats.

Typical luggage storage at the end of train car:

LRTra01-199x300.jpg

And behind seats (less common on regional trains):

suitcase-between-seats.jpg

At Trastevere you'll have to unload everything and then transfer to another train to take you to Civitavecchia. Trastevere is a smaller station so it's better to transfer here. If you went to the main station in Rome, Termini, you'd have to walk perhaps a couple of city blocks in distance to get your next train (although it is flat).

Once at Civitavecchia, you will get off the train. More than likely, you will have to cross underneath the tracks to get to the station exit. This means down a full flight of stairs, through a passage, and then up the stairs on the other side.

From here, purchase a bus ticket in the shop in the station; this will get you on the bus to the port entrance. It's a local bus but it runs pretty much only to take passengers from the train station to the port entrance. There is room for luggage.

Finally, you'll get off at Largo della Pace (port entrance), and then board a free port shuttle to your ship.

Yes, it is complicated with luggage. Most of us who do the train travel pretty light. (I'm just fine with a small suitcase for 2-3 weeks. One just does some laundry along the way...) It may be more hassle than you're willing to negotiate.

There are shared transfer services for as little as 85 euro for three persons.

We will have 3 full size roller suitcases probably weighing at least 35-45 lbs each with the 3 of us, I’m 44 yr old woman and in very good shape, daughter is 22 and in good shape and mother is 69 and in fair shape. Does this seem doable? We will be tired after long flight from Vancouver Canada.

I think you and your daughter will be fine. As long as your mother can handle the suitcase herself on stairs (plan for multiple flights) it should work. You really can only do one suitcase per person if you want to hold onto the railing. I did it with my stepmother, me in my 30s and her in her early 60s. But I’m not sure how well a 69 year old will manage.

Here's a pretty detailed breakdown of what you'll need to do:

After you claim your luggage at FCO airport, you will need to get to the train station. It's not far but you will need to follow the signs. I generally go outside the terminal, cross the access street, then take the escalator up one level where the train station is. There are elevators at the same place as the escalators.

Purchasing tickets is easy. I would go the route of FCO to Trastevere station to Civitavecchia and since you are not in a rush, I'd go to the ticket window and tell them you want to take the regional train, not the express train (which is called the Leonardo Express).

Getting on and off the trains requires going up about 3-4 narrow steps to get on the train carriage. There are NO porters and you do not want to accept help from anyone, trust me. (They are after a hefty tip or your bags....) If you have full-size bags it may be easiest to have one person board first, then stand at the top and take the bags of the others. Also note -- regional trains do not have assigned seats, so you can just board any carriage.

Full-size bags such as you describe will likely not fit in the overhead rack, which is not as roomy as airline overheads. There are luggage racks at one end of the car, sometimes at both ends, and sometimes also there are small storage areas between seats.

Typical luggage storage at the end of train car:

LRTra01-199x300.jpg

And behind seats (less common on regional trains):

suitcase-between-seats.jpg

At Trastevere you'll have to unload everything and then transfer to another train to take you to Civitavecchia. Trastevere is a smaller station so it's better to transfer here. If you went to the main station in Rome, Termini, you'd have to walk perhaps a couple of city blocks in distance to get your next train (although it is flat).

Once at Civitavecchia, you will get off the train. More than likely, you will have to cross underneath the tracks to get to the station exit. This means down a full flight of stairs, through a passage, and then up the stairs on the other side.

From here, purchase a bus ticket in the shop in the station; this will get you on the bus to the port entrance. It's a local bus but it runs pretty much only to take passengers from the train station to the port entrance. There is room for luggage.

Finally, you'll get off at Largo della Pace (port entrance), and then board a free port shuttle to your ship.

Yes, it is complicated with luggage. Most of us who do the train travel pretty light. (I'm just fine with a small suitcase for 2-3 weeks. One just does some laundry along the way...) It may be more hassle than you're willing to negotiate.

There are shared transfer services for as little as 85 euro for three persons.

Thank you so much! That was exactly the specific details I was looking for. If we could find a good shuttle for 85 euros for the three of us it might be worth it to spend the extra money. Can you recommend any?

Thank you so much! That was exactly the specific details I was looking for. If we could find a good shuttle for 85 euros for the three of us it might be worth it to spend the extra money. Can you recommend any?

romashuttle.com

I've used them for my parents a couple of times and once for myself. Very reliable. Book the shared shuttle option -- you may or may not end up sharing.

Be sure they understand you are going to a hotel in Civi rather than to the port. Shouldn't be a problem, but I haven't done it before with them, only directly to the port.

We are cruising out of Rome this fall and were faced with this question. We also cruised out of Rome a few years ago and spent a few days pre cruise in Rome. We took the train to civitavechhia and it was fairly easy but it was a Wednesday morning and the train was pretty crowded and added to the difficulty—and we just had carry on bags.

I think it would be hard with full size suitcases and being tired.

We are returning this fall and initially were planning on spending the night before by the port but after pricing transfer for our group of four, we decided to take a private transfer to Rome and spend the night there —about 50 euros—and stay the night in trastavere. Found a hotel for less than 100 euros that looks good with great reviews

Then we plan to take the train the next morning to civitavecchia. Figure we will be more rested and it will also be a Sunday morning so less chaotic.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are cruising out of Rome this fall and were faced with this question. We also cruised out of Rome a few years ago and spent a few days pre cruise in Rome. We took the train to civitavechhia and it was fairly easy but it was a Wednesday morning and the train was pretty crowded and added to the difficulty—and we just had carry on bags.

I think it would be hard with full size suitcases and being tired.

We are returning this fall and initially were planning on spending the night before by the port but after pricing transfer for our group of four, we decided to take a private transfer to Rome and spend the night there —about 50 euros—and stay the night in trastavere. Found a hotel for less than 100 euros that looks good with great reviews

Then we plan to take the train the next morning to civitavecchia. Figure we will be more rested and it will also be a Sunday morning so less chaotic.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading all these replies I opted to get a shared shuttle transfer to our hotel in Civitavecchia. It was 85 euros for the 3 of us. Definitely not as cheap as train but after traveling for 18 hours I don’t want the hassle of trying to do the trains with our luggage. I may opt to do train at the end of our cruise into Rome. I figured no transfers to get to main station in Rome and we will be rested. I think we will then take a taxi from station to our hotel in Rome.

Aren't there stairs up from the Regional platform in Civitavecchia to add to the fun?

Platform 1 is right outside the station building and involves no steps :). But trains coming to Civitavecchia from Rome never use Track 1 :(. All the other tracks mean you must go down a pretty steep group of steps, go underneath the tracks, and then back up similar steps (and there are quite a few steps) to get to the terminal (and out of the station). This is not fun if you have heavy luggage and there are no porters to help. Unfortunately, the Italian authorities have not seen fit to install a working elevator at these tracks :(.

Hank

The more I read about the train the more I’m worried about how much hassle it is with luggage. Even if we pack light we will still need large suitcases. We are gong for 11 nights and a carry on is not going to cut it. We will also be getting off a flight in the AM after traveling for 18 hours. We will be exhausted. I can see it being easy with no luggage but with three large bags, and my mom is 69. She can definitely do the walking but may have trouble lifting bag up many stairs and I don’t think any of us can lift 50 lb bags over our head (and not sure why would need to). I’m getting many conflicting answers. I wish I could see inside train so I could understand what people are talking about.

I am glad you mentioned this :). About 30 years ago, DW and I started to travel extensively in Europe (and elsewhere). During our first major European trip we did what many did (in those days) and got Eurorail Passes. The trains were fine, the price was good, and dealing with our luggage was awful! The European train system is simply not designed for anything but smaller pieces of luggage. Train stations are often huge and involve very long walks (often with steps). Most trains only have a narrow storage area above the seats (that can hold small pieces of luggage). Larger pieces are generally stored at the end of the car where they are unsecure and easy prey to anyone who wants to snatch a bag just as a train comes into a station. (Hence our suggestion to use a luggage cable lock to secure luggage to the train). And if you plan on using public transportation in cities, luggage can be a major problem. Taxis can handle luggage, but in many places it can be hard to find a taxi and they are not the cheapest form of transportation.

So what does all this mean? For us, we quickly discovered the wonders of having a rental or leased car when we travel in Europe. This resolved the luggage issue, allowed us to go just about anywhere, and opened up an entire continent of wonderful places that are not even on the train lines :). And now, things have really changed in Europe. The inexpensive trains of the past are mostly history (although there are still some great bargains such as the BIRG ticket for Civitavecchia to Rome). In fact, it is often less costly to fly within Europe then use trains. But flying is also a major hassle because you waste lots of time getting to and from airports, dealing with security, discovering that delayed flights are too common, etc. So again, we find ourselves back to the ole automobile :). And another interesting tidbit is that renting a car is often the most economical method of travel. While prices of trains have soared, and flying has become a major hassle, the price of rental cars has actually declined....especially on longer rentals of 3 days +. And for a really long driving trip there are some fantastic lease deals where you can actually pick out your own new car (weeks in advance) and have it waiting at your pickup point...with full insurance (zero deductable).

Hank

I believe that you are correct. Down and up as I recall.:(

Yes. I did this last year. I was prepared to pay for a private driver as I made no plans prior to arrival. I was traveling solo and wanted to see how tired I was.

I took the train to Trastavere, and changed trains to Civitavecchia. Everyone was helpful and it was easy. The trains were pretty empty so I kept my bags with me at my seat.

Yes, the worst part were the stairs in Civitavecchia. By that time I was exhausted, but I made it.

I’d probably take the train again, but now I know how it works.

But be warned, you are lifting/carrying your luggage yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

romashuttle.com

I've used them for my parents a couple of times and once for myself. Very reliable. Book the shared shuttle option -- you may or may not end up sharing.

Be sure they understand you are going to a hotel in Civi rather than to the port. Shouldn't be a problem, but I haven't done it before with them, only directly to the port.

Hi Cruisemom42,

Thanks for this information. Looking at shared shuttle from the port into Rome central. Do you kow if romashuttle picks you up right at the ship or out at the entrance to the port? I did a quick look at their website but did not see anything about pickup point. As I understand it there are only certain companies that are allowed to pick up right at the ship?

Hi Cruisemom42,

Thanks for this information. Looking at shared shuttle from the port into Rome central. Do you kow if romashuttle picks you up right at the ship or out at the entrance to the port? I did a quick look at their website but did not see anything about pickup point. As I understand it there are only certain companies that are allowed to pick up right at the ship?

RomaShuttle can pick you up at the ship.

I think some other (more expensive) transfers like to tell folks this story about not having access to the port to justify the higher cost -- but I really have heard of only a few legitimate transfers that cannot pick up/drop off within the port.

• 3 weeks later...

This website explains the different trains nicely with pictures: https://www.seat61.com/frecciarossa.htm