Rostock

viajes001

We are doing a Baltic Cruise in May and Rostock is one of the stops. We don’t want to spend 3 hours going 3 hours coming back from Berlin. Has anyone just hung out in Rostock? Is there anything to do? I have checked Trip Advisor but there is limited information.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are doing a Baltic Cruise in May and Rostock is one of the stops. We don’t want to spend 3 hours going 3 hours coming back from Berlin. Has anyone just hung out in Rostock? Is there anything to do? I have checked Trip Advisor but there is limited information.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Highly recommend the Friends of Dave tour of the region. Not inexpensive but worth it. And lunch is fabulous. https://www.fodtours.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also highly recommend "Friends of Dave" - his tours are fantastic. His tours sell out so, if you are interested, I suggest contacting him without delay.

https://www.fodtours.com/

If you want to DIY, there are some interesting things to see/do in Rostock:

Marienkirche - 14th century church with cool astronomical clock

Petrikirche - 13th century church

Kropeliner Strasse - pedestrian mall lined with shops & restaurants. The mall is lined with interesting 15th - 16th century houses. Don't miss the fountain at the center (Fountain of Happiness) and the university.

Rathaus - 13th century town hall on Neuer Markt

Kropeliner Tor - one of the 2 remaining remaining gates of the old city wall. You can follow the old walls from here to the other gate, the Steintor.

Cultural Museum is interesting but not, IMHO, a must see

We docked in Rostock and had a guide we booked through Alla take us to Warnemunde first, then to Rostock where we toured the the museum, saw the fountain (summer and lots of kids were playing in it),had lunch at a restaurant on Kropeliner Strasse and went to Marienkirche. The main area of the city is a fair distance from the port, so you do need to arrange transportation. Some cruise lines operate a shuttle.

Anni has a fantastic website for information on towns and what to see in the area of Warnemunde. I can't recommend her website enough.

http://www.travelanni.webs.com/

She also posts quite often on this board when she isn't off on adventures.

Also, since a Baltic cruise is so port intensive you might just want to have a relaxing day and Warnemunde is a great spot. Walk along the canal to the beach, visit the lighthouse or take a bike ride. There is a bike rental place within walking distance of the train station.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out travelannis website. We did the Molle train on our own, and it was a really nice day and very inexpensive. It drops you at a lovely seaside town where you can walk along the beach, get lunch, and take the train ride back. If you dock in Rostock , take the ships shuttle to Rostock. It drops you at the train station. Bring euros for the trains. It seems complicated to do on your own, but it is really not hard.

We spent the first half of the day in Warnemuende (rented bikes) and the second half of the day in Rostock at the fascinating Stasi Prison Museum (free admission) and walking through the pedestrian shopping area.

Our ship arranged a ferry from the ship in Rostock to Warnemuende and a bus from Rostock back to the ship, both at no cost. We took the suburban train from Warnemuende to Rostock, which was easy to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey nnn, what date in June are you doing Dave’s tour? My husband is booked for June 17, the rest of our party is going to Berlin. Dave keeps referring to it as special tour, so wondering if this is the one he opened up at your request.

Hey nnn, what date in June are you doing Dave’s tour? My husband is booked for June 17, the rest of our party is going to Berlin. Dave keeps referring to it as special tour, so wondering if this is the one he opened up at your request.

Our tour is on June 27. Dave also set up a "special tour" for our date, and that's because Germany is playing in a World Cup match at 4 pm that day. I actually brought this up with Dave myself, and he adjusted their typical tour schedule to finish early so that we can watch the soccer match in Warnemunde after the tour. Looking at the World Cup schedule, it turns out that Germany is also playing on June 17, so it's possible that Dave adjusted the schedule for that day to end early for the same reason.

Same with the June 17th tour. Leaving earlier than usual so finished by game time. Enjoy your cruise and tour.

Thanks, you as well. We enjoy soccer and are catching an actual WC soccer match in Russia while on the cruise, so we're excited.

We didn't know if we would be back to Germany so opted for the Berlin tour. Even though there was that long commute, it honestly was worth the trip. We loved our day in Berlin!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

trying to do the same. Do you have your tickets yet ? We are waiting to for the random draw for our game right now..

Yes, we got our allocation of tickets in the first draw last year. I think it helped that the teams had not yet been assigned to the games.

• 1 month later...

At the end of August, we will arrive at Berlin 2 days before our cruise starts. We will embark our cruise at the Rostock port.

Any suggestions of Berlin hotels that are convenient to sightseeing spots/town center?

Any suggestions on how we can get to the Rostock port from Berlin? There will be 6 of us (4 persons age 70+); each of us will have at least one 28" luggage.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

At the end of August we will be taking a Princess cruise with boarding in Rostock. We will arrive at the Berlin airport 2 days before the cruise. Instead of staying in Berlin (which we visited about 10 years ago), we are thinking of just staying at a hotel in Rostock so it will be easier for us on embarkation day.

Any suggestions on Rostock hotels?

Thank you.