Which would you do? Fly from Venice to Rome or take the high speed train?

hrmkr

Looking into pricing to travel between Venice in Rome on April 28, 2018. I want to leave in the afternoon.

I have 2 options:

1) take the high speed train leaving Venice at 2:35 PM and arriving in Rome at 6:20 PM. The cost is $107 per person.

or

2) fly from Venice to Rome leaving at 5:50 PM and arriving in Rome at 6:50 PM for $67/per person

I will arrive around the same time with either option.

I know I need to factor in the time that it takes to travel to the airport and go through security and check in ? How long before the flight should I be there? I have seen anywhere from 2-4 hours?? Taking the train, I need to be at the train station only about 30 minutes prior to it leaving.

I also need to take into account the price of a transfer from the hotel in Venice to the airport . I can take a quick taxi ride to the train station. In Rome, pretty much the same thing. Transfer from the airport to the airbnb where I am staying compared to a taxi ride from the train station to the airbnb.

HELP???

Thanks,

Howard

Personally I like the high speed trains in Italy. I've done the Venice to Rome route and it's pleasant -- no spectacular scenery but still something to watch as you travel. No airport security to deal with and as you point out you are much closer to where you ultimately want to be when you alight.

The cost you cite for the train seems on the higher side -- are you looking on the Trenitalia site for pricing? How far in advance is your travel?

Yes, I am looking at the Trenitalia site. We are traveling on April 28.

I thought it was high also but probably if I wait to closer to our travel date, it may go up. May not book for a little bit though.

Yes, I am looking at the Trenitalia site. We are traveling on April 28.

I thought it was high also but probably if I wait to closer to our travel date, it may go up. May not book for a little bit though.

For the train you listed above, I am seeing a Super Economy Rate in Business class for 59.90 euro per person... :confused:

I was looking at the base rate. Didn't know there was any other rate to choose.

If I leave at 2:25 PM , I can get it for 49.90 euro

14:25Venezia S. Lucia

Arrival18:10Roma Termini

Duration 3h 45'

TrainFrecciarossa 1000 9435

Price

offerte_plus.png

from

49.90 €

Choose

Senior and Young offers availableRecupera tabella prezzi

Solution 5Departure14:35Venezia S. Lucia

Arrival18:20Roma Termini

Duration 3h 45'

TrainFrecciarossa 9437

Price

offerte_plus.png

from

59.90 €

Thank you very much for saving me the $$.

It is greatly appreciated!!

Would you suggest to book the train tickets now or do you think the price could come down? Now is a good price

In my experience, train ticket prices only go up, not down. I'd book soon as long as you are sure of your timing. Tickets can only be used for the purchased departure.

I am definitely taking the train. We are traveling on a Saturday and can get the 2 for 1 offer. Both of us can travel for 86 euro.

I am looking at the seating of the trains. I know I want to get a front facing seat. Is the luggage area between the seats (grey area) on the picture when you choose your seat or somewhere else? I have read on other threads that they may be near the front or back by the doors. I only see in the back where the WC (rest room) is located.

I will be using a lock on my luggage. I also heard to stand near your luggage when arriving at a station.

The gray areas are probably for luggage. The carriages on the trains are not all uniform. Some have space for luggage in front and in back; others will only have luggage storage in one area. The best thing is to just keep an eye on them and/or lock your bags together, if not possible to lock it to the rack. (You may have to wait until others get on board and put their luggage in the racks; people tend to get impatient if you are blocking the rack, fooling around with locks.)

Regarding the seats -- not sure if it is possible to tell which way any particular seat is going to face as the train may switch direction. Someone in another thread suggested, if you're traveling in a group, to look for one of the groups of seats that face across a small table. If you purchase seats facing each other, at least one of you will be facing forward.

"I can take a quick taxi ride to the train station. "

I am curious on how you are going to take a taxi to the Venice train station.

Since train station is right on the grand canal, and cars can't drive up to it, how are you going to catch a land taxi (from where?) I suppose you could get a taxi to Piazzle Roma, then walk across a bridge to get to the station. Very doable and walkable. But don't expect to be dropped off in front of the train station.

I would definitely take the train. The cost to transfer to the airport will eat up a good portion of your savings on the flight -- even if you take the cheapest form of transport on the bus boat.

Have you also checked pricing on Italo for the train? I much prefer them to Trenitalia.

Interesting question. In this case we would certainly opt for the train for several reasons. Two of the best reasons would be that you would totally avoid Marco Polo airport and FCO? And when calculating cost consider what it will cost you to get out to Marco Polo airport and then from FCO into Rome. And there is also the issue about flight delays (not uncommon in Italy and the EU). We also find the trains more comfortable.

Hank

Our decision has been made. I booked our trip to Rome on the high speed train. I couldn;t pass up the 2 for 1 offer that they had for our trip. It will cost us $105 USD for 2 tickets. Can't beat that. Completely agree with staying away from the airports.

I was able to pick 2 seats in row 4 so we will be close to our luggage. I still plan on trying to keep our bags next to us and will be using a lock on them along with standing near them when we are approaching a stop. We will be traveling with 1 large suitcase, 1 hanging garment bag and 1 carry-on.

By taking the train, I can mark that off a list of things I have never done.

How about having to schlep a bunch of luggage onto the high speed train? Will I have enough room to store my luggage? I'll probably have 2x large cases and two garment bags?

Bob

How large is large? :confused:

Anything more than about 22" will not fit in an overhead rack (and the racks are not as roomy as airline overhead bins -- "fat" suitcases don't fit.

There is a fair amount of luggage storage space at one or both ends of the car (depending on type of carriage) plus often there is a small storage area at the middle of the car. If you are among the first ones on the train at its point of initiation (e.g., at Venice Santa Lucia rather than Mestre), it's pretty likely that you'll find enough room for large cases in these areas.

One other thing, if you have heavy bags. You do have to lift them up about 4 relatively steep and narrow steps to get onto the train from the platform. It's easiest if one person gets on first and the second one hands the heavier bags up.

Photo of typical storage area at end of car: https://www.italybeyondtheobvious.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/luggage-area-in-freccia-rossa-train.jpg

Photo of between-seat storage area: https://www.italybeyondtheobvious.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/suitcase-between-seats.jpg

There is a luggage option for those who can't seem to travel light, or cannot comfortably heft luggage onto and off the trains.

For this trip, Venice to Rome on a high speed train, Trenitalia offers a luggage transport program. There is a fee, of course, but being free of the hassle has some value: http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en/Services/Luggage-transport-services

• 4 weeks later...