Second day in St Petersburg

Not unless you have pre purchased a visa to visit the country. Most people book two day sightseeing tours with one of the main local tour operators.

We booked with Alla and were very satisfied, but other companies also get very good reviews. By booking a tour with a local operator all the paper work is taken care of for you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our second day trip out was a city bus tour then three hours to do what we wanted.

We spent the time on Nevsky Prospect, looking in the shops, buying a few things, went into one of the many Catherdrals then wandered along the canal back to the bus.

It was a short time, but it was nice to do what we wanted.

London Towner has is right - you cannot explore on your own without obtaining a Russian tourist visa. You must go through Russian immigration in the port terminal each time you leave your cruise ship and each time you return to your cruise ship. Your tour ticket (acquired through a local operator or your cruise ship) + passport will get you through immigration but only for the date/time of that particular tour. In your case, without a tour ticket on day 2, you will not be allowed to pass through immigration.

When we first arrived via cruise ship in 2011, like London Towner, we also booked with Alla Tours for both of our days in port - it was our best choice to maximize our time for a first visit and our all inclusive Grand Tour was about the cost of obtaining a Russian visa. I have now visited multiple times, have a 3 year visa & can do whatever I want when I fly or cruise into the city.

Our second day trip out was a city bus tour then three hours to do what we wanted.

We spent the time on Nevsky Prospect, looking in the shops, buying a few things, went into one of the many Catherdrals then wandered along the canal back to the bus.

It was a short time, but it was nice to do what we wanted.

Juggler - what tour group did you go with?

Anyone - My Mom is limited on how much she can walk and we are discussing taking a portable scooter for her. Will she be able to do any of the tours with that. It will be one that folds up.

Juggler - what tour group did you go with?

Anyone - My Mom is limited on how much she can walk and we are discussing taking a portable scooter for her. Will she be able to do any of the tours with that. It will be one that folds up.

FYI: I could be mistaken but I believe that the bus tour referenced by juggler is only offered for clients arriving by ferry (St. Peter Line). The visa rules for ferry passengers differ from the rules for cruise ship passengers. https://stpeterline.com/en/visa-free-rule

If you are arriving via cruise ship, you will not be able to avail yourself of the bus tour offered for ferry passengers. Of course, if you have a visa, you can do whatever you wish.

Regarding tours that would accommodate a wheelchair/scooter, check out the Comfort Tour with Alla Tours - you can also contact them for more info - info@alla-tour.com

The Comfort Tour might be a good fit for your mom.

jakz2fun

We booked the 2 day Comfort Tour with Alla and I took a manual wheelchair. The only part of the tour I didn't manage was the subway ride.

Alla were excellent in giving me pre tour details right down to how many steps and paces there were everywhere.

The driver ensured he parked in the most convenient places and the guide ensured we totally missed queues or went to the head of them.

Your Mum shouldn't have any problem at all taking a small mobility scooter. It will fit in the boot under the coach.

Not unless you have pre purchased a visa to visit the country. Most people book two day sightseeing tours with one of the main local tour operators.

We booked with Alla and were very satisfied, but other companies also get very good reviews. By booking a tour with a local operator all the paper work is taken care of for you.

It sounds like Alla has a good reputation. How do I get in touch with Alla. I assume they have several different 2 day tours. Do we pay in advance?? Also, Alla knows we have to get back to the ship on time the second day.???

It sounds like Alla has a good reputation. How do I get in touch with Alla. I assume they have several different 2 day tours. Do we pay in advance?? Also, Alla knows we have to get back to the ship on time the second day.???

No, you don't pay in advance - you pay in St. Petersburg. Looking at the website, there are 4 two day tours from which to choose. Of course Alla will get you back to the ship in time - Alla is rated #1 on Tripadvisor, has thousands of reviews and routinely receives excellent reviews here on Cruise Critic - if she missed just once, her reputation would be destroyed.

You should direct all of your queries to:

email: info@alla-tour.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, can you please tell me the cost of your excursion and if you know it , how much does a visa cost

how much does a visa cost

If you are applying for a Russian visa, the cost depends on your nationality. As a US citizen, my visa was $320.00. Check visa prices/application procedures by contacting the Russian consulate in the country in which you hold citizenship - Google is your friend.

If you book with a licensed tour operator, you will not need a Russian visa - your tour ticket will act as a visa waiver and is valid during the time that you are with your tour guide.

You cannot wander around "on your own" unless you secure a Russian visa.

I can't remember how much the tour cost, but all prices will be on their website. As we didn't buy a visa I had no reason to know the cost, but I believe they are relatively expensive. You can Google it to find out.

I think you'll find the visa fee expensive for Americans, quite cheap for Brits.

Sounds good for you and I, but there's a big caveat :(..............

Unless things have changed in the past year or so, we Brits have to apply in person (the whole party) at one of just two locations in the UK, London or Edinburgh. This is to take biometrics - I don't know what biometrics, mebbe iris or fingerprints. I think this is reciprosity for the hoops that the UK govt makes for Russians visiting the UK.

I know that Americans & others have to go through hoops for a Russian visa, but that requirement makes things impossibly expensive & time-consuming for us Brits who don't live in The Smoke.

JB :)

John Bull

I do live in the Smoke, but for a cruise visit to SPB I don't think the hassle and the cost is worth it. We were more than happy with our trip with Alla.

We want to do another Baltic cruise, but would book an organised tour again with one of the local operators.