St. Petersburg - shore tours - odd questions?

tkbd

Hi everyone! Been reading up on the options for tours in Russia, but I still have questions!

Let's say I'm looking at any and all of the names that keep coming up (Alla, Best Guides, SPD, etc.) for 2-day shared group tours ....

1. Anyone have recent experience paying them in cash? Will they take US $? I just think I'd rather pay cash.... Anyone think that's a terrible idea? Please be specific!

2. I heard somewhere on this site (shoot: I'm not going to find it...) about changes to when passengers on 3rd party tours can get off the boat, specifically at St. Petersburg (and maybe I read specifically RCI, which is what we'll be sailing?). Like, people of 3rd p. booked tours could get off at the same time as those that organized thru the ship? Does anyone have any recent experience of this?

3. Would anyone actually recommend booking the tours here via the ship? A lot of people talk up the local companies, and they do sound pretty great, but I don't know, maybe there's a reason for doing the ship's, specifically in Russia?

We're sailing RCI this July, and this will probably be our only "structured" excursion, and Russia's a big deal for us, so I want to do this right. This'll be my 2nd cruise ever, but my husband's 1st!

As no cruise ship has been in St Petersburg since about early September, what you are reading here is as current as it gets, for two of your questions.

The local companies are very busy and popular with the cruise ship pax. Yes, you can do the ship's excursions, with 40-45 of your new best friends, at least 2 of which will be unable to tell time, or get to the designated locations as directed, and will hold up the tour at every stop. You chose.

when we did Baltic cruise a few years ago the St Peterburg companies quoted in US dollars and pay cash on 2nd day with new crisp banknotes

however recent changes mean they are only supposed to take local currency ie roubles

they still quote in US dollars but if you pay by credit card they say will be converted to roubles at exchange rate on that day

from this year the private companies wont be allowed access to port until an hour after the ships tours[some deal between port and large coach tour companies which will affect all ships not just RCL]

However I don't see that as too much of an issue as most ships are there 2 days so plenty of time to catch up and the smaller vans of private companies will be able to take short cuts to the sites

also the rush to get off the ship with thousands of your fellow passengers means more bottlenecks at immigration-getting off later will hopefully mean lines have died down a bit

As the previous poster pointed out these questions will be answered accurately once the ships start arriving this year

we are sailing July this year and have booked a private tour van for 5 of us and asked them for a quote in roubles and will pay on 2nd day with a credit card that does not charge foreign transaction charges

will let you know how get on!

On Celebrity everyone dashed off together.

We used SPB and had friends who took the ship tour. 2 day tour, similarly priced.

Main differences were that we had a subway ride and took the hydrofoil to Peterhof, leaving us more time there.

As no cruise ship has been in St Petersburg since about early September, what you are reading here is as current as it gets, for two of your questions.

The local companies are very busy and popular with the cruise ship pax. Yes, you can do the ship's excursions, with 40-45 of your new best friends, at least 2 of which will be unable to tell time, or get to the designated locations as directed, and will hold up the tour at every stop. You chose.

I know I'd even prefer less "new best friends" than the 16 in a van than seems the norm. Now you've got me thinking of going full private, but we're only 2 people, and in some ways that's weirder (pressure to answer questions and laugh at strange foreign jokes in my experience). But I do speak Russian, so now... ugh I don't know!

when we did Baltic cruise a few years ago the St Peterburg companies quoted in US dollars and pay cash on 2nd day with new crisp banknotes

however recent changes mean they are only supposed to take local currency ie roubles

they still quote in US dollars but if you pay by credit card they say will be converted to roubles at exchange rate on that day

from this year the private companies wont be allowed access to port until an hour after the ships tours[some deal between port and large coach tour companies which will affect all ships not just RCL]

However I don't see that as too much of an issue as most ships are there 2 days so plenty of time to catch up and the smaller vans of private companies will be able to take short cuts to the sites

also the rush to get off the ship with thousands of your fellow passengers means more bottlenecks at immigration-getting off later will hopefully mean lines have died down a bit

As the previous poster pointed out these questions will be answered accurately once the ships start arriving this year

we are sailing July this year and have booked a private tour van for 5 of us and asked them for a quote in roubles and will pay on 2nd day with a credit card that does not charge foreign transaction charges

Thanks so much for clarifying the situation with getting off the ship! I guess it's just our dumb luck that we're sailing in the middle of all these changes. I might beat you to it -- sailing late June, I just realized (husband planned the trip), on the Serenade.

I'm curious: why did you ask for the quote in rubles? Wouldn't the quote change by summer theoretically?

On Celebrity everyone dashed off together.

We used SPB and had friends who took the ship tour. 2 day tour, similarly priced.

Main differences were that we had a subway ride and took the hydrofoil to Peterhof, leaving us more time there.

Did your friends find that their group was very large compared to yours?

Yeah, the subway ride I think is going to tip the scales for me to pro-3rd party tour. Gotta take the metro, omg!

I know I'd even prefer less "new best friends" than the 16 in a van than seems the norm. Now you've got me thinking of going full private, but we're only 2 people, and in some ways that's weirder (pressure to answer questions and laugh at strange foreign jokes in my experience). But I do speak Russian, so now... ugh I don't know!

We did a tour with my wife and I. No real issues with awkward discussions. Be polite and friendly, they will be as well.

Thanks so much for clarifying the situation with getting off the ship! I guess it's just our dumb luck that we're sailing in the middle of all these changes. I might beat you to it -- sailing late June, I just realized (husband planned the trip), on the Serenade.

I'm curious: why did you ask for the quote in rubles? Wouldn't the quote change by summer theoretically?

we are British so both US dollars and roubles are foreign currency to us so a fixed price in dollars would be subject to conversion at the time of tour to roubles-likely to vary

a fixed price in roubles to us only involves 1 foreign currency conversion ie roubles to pounds which will be converted by our credit card provider who doesn't charge foreign transaction charges and at a better rate to us

Did your friends find that their group was very large compared to yours?

Yeah, the subway ride I think is going to tip the scales for me to pro-3rd party tour. Gotta take the metro, omg!

If I remember correctly their group was somewhere around 30.

By the way, we have been on 5 European cruises and yes the more people on the tour the greater the probability is that someone can't tell time. However, maybe we've been lucky but have never run into that situation (either on private or ship tours).

enhance

I found 2 more couples on our roll call so we had a private 2 day tour for 6 with Ulko tours. It was still less expensive than the ship tour. IMO 8 is the maximum that is tolerable because of the congestion.

Ulko was excellent. They will reply promptly to an email enquiry and customise your itinerary. For example there is little point in seeing the inside of both Catherine's palace and Peterhof ( they all run together)

It appears the private tours will start a little later. This won't be a problem. You will simply arrive back at the ship a little later on your first day. It's light until 10 or 11 at night.

We did a tour with my wife and I. No real issues with awkward discussions. Be polite and friendly, they will be as well.

Oh yeah, you know I thought the same, but then we had a weird (although amusing and totally not dangerous) experience where, for some reason we got separated out, just the two of us, on a small Halong Bay cruise (only like 8 pax on the ship)....

Although we were with the group for all the other things, the two of us alone ended up with a guide for this cave (Cave of Wonder?) where every cave formation resembled a ... how do I say this.... a non-G-rated body part. Awkward! :D

Since then, I've decided it would just be nice to have another couple or two, as witnesses or something!

But point very well taken, I've actually been on very few tours (mostly indie travel), and mostly small foodie/walking tours of like 8 or less, at that.

TKBD see my spreadsheet made to compare some of the City Highlights kind of tours operated by top local companies - how many people in a group, what sights are on the itinerary, the prices, etc. Here is the link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BgxA9lzzPpaV58Rhh-11N-JrsPu9vya7/view?usp=sharing

OMG. This. Is. Amazing! Thanks SO MUCH for sharing. <3

we are British so both US dollars and roubles are foreign currency to us so a fixed price in dollars would be subject to conversion at the time of tour to roubles-likely to vary

a fixed price in roubles to us only involves 1 foreign currency conversion ie roubles to pounds which will be converted by our credit card provider who doesn't charge foreign transaction charges and at a better rate to us

Makes perfect sense! Sorry, new to the forum, probably could've saved you a response if I noticed your location! Thanks for your insights!

If I remember correctly their group was somewhere around 30.

By the way, we have been on 5 European cruises and yes the more people on the tour the greater the probability is that someone can't tell time. However, maybe we've been lucky but have never run into that situation (either on private or ship tours).

Oh, look at that absolutely just drop-dead gorgeous .... ancient train! :)

Thanks for sharing!

I am wondering where you got this info (about private tour operators having to wait an hour to access the port)? Our experience (in the past) has been that the Russian authorities do not show any favoritism to cruise line excursions....and in fact....we are usually off ships (in St Petersburg) before most excursions.

In the past, some cruise lines have misled their passengers (about private tour operators) in an attempt to coerce passengers into booking the oft overpriced (and usually overcrowded) cruise line excursions.

Hank

I am wondering where you got this info (about private tour operators having to wait an hour to access the port)? Our experience (in the past) has been that the Russian authorities do not show any favoritism to cruise line excursions....and in fact....we are usually off ships (in St Petersburg) before most excursions.

In the past, some cruise lines have misled their passengers (about private tour operators) in an attempt to coerce passengers into booking the oft overpriced (and usually overcrowded) cruise line excursions.

Hank

all change this year I'm afraid Hank

It was regularly discussed on these boards last year and as your fellow expert traveller John Bull verifies the info it's from a reliable source

As I understand it the port authority ownership has changed hands and they have agreed that a limited number of companies[who happen to be the big bus companies the ships tours contract with] will have preferential access to port and other companies will have to wait

It stinks and smacks of money changing hands under the table but our private tour operator has assured us that meeting at 9am will not affect the quality of the tour and even if we are back an hour later we be still be back in good time especially on the second day

Hank

It is my understanding:

The big Russian tour company that provides the tours for the cruise ships is now an ownership partner with the Marine Facade (cruise port). So - my assumption is that this is why the new rules have been instituted - it is an effort to drive out the small local companies.

The excuse given to the local companies was overcrowding during disembarkation/long queues at immigration - so those booked on independent tours would need to wait until the cruise ship tours have gone through immigration.

A trial run was conducted last year - the problem was not ameliorated with the cruise tours departing first. So - who knows what will occur during the upcoming season? As far as I am concerned, I think that this complicity between the cruise port & cruise tours is a complete scam!

Yes, the price will change - the price is fixed in USD not rubles. Some people simply do not understand this concept - most simply want a good estimate of the cost in rubles. However, there shouldn't be a huge difference between the price of the ruble now vs the summer. One can get a good idea of the cost of rubles to dollars by visiting one of the online converters - however, since you pay on the day of the tour, the price will be slightly different (plus or minus).

Just to allay your fears... there were only 3 of us and our guide was adorable and carried on conversation easily. We had lots of questions as we walked and it was never awkward. My guess is that most of the guides are very comfortable making small talk... they do a lot of it! We always book private excursions, sometimes called taxi tours, and just go with the flow. No need to have constant conversation... and SO much better to be able to make it YOUR tour, stop for the restroom whenever, eat in a nice little cafe, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are just looking at tours for our trip to St Petersburg in August, our current preference is Insider Tours as their groups are 6 people or you can have a private tour for 2 for a higher price.

http://www.insider-tour.com/St-Petersburg-2-Day-Roll-Like-a-Russian.html?scroll=Roll

try Best Guides, we just booked our family of 6 with them for a May tour, only one day as we are on a shortened RC cruise. They were very accommadating and I asked to see things most tours don't do and they fixed us up and the price was really reasonable for the 6 of us. Been to the Baltics on a cruise in 2015 and used SPB, they were wonderful, but this time bringing family so wanted private tour. Hope you enjoy your time in St Petersburg, it's amazing. Linda

hi. I enjoyed looking at your spreadsheet. I notice there is no mention of free time for some shopping in the market. Do the larger tours that have a Hydrofoil ride also offer a shopping opportunity?. I really like the larger tour but would also like an opportunity to look for a few local “treasures”.

Any insite would be appreciated

Hi Linda. I know that Best Guides have a good reputation for tailored tours. Can I ask what sights you will be seeing? My husband likes to stay away from crowds. Things which most tours don't do may be the right thing for him. Thank you.

If you plan on visiting any of the "must see" sights, there is no way that you will be able to avoid crowds during the cruise season. Any of the reputable local companies will pre-purchase your tickets to the "hot" venues (Hermitage, Catherine Palace, Peterhof) so that you don't have to wait in the long queues. However, if you plan on visiting any of the 3 previously mentioned museums, be aware that you will be amongst throngs of tourists (even with early entrance there are crowds) regardless of with whom you choose to book.

Saint Petersburg has become a victim of its own success and each year becomes more crowded in the touristed areas. It is for this reason that I now only visit during the months of October or November.

On the other hand, if you want to avoid the crowds, St. Petersburg is virtually loaded with wonderful sights that most tourists do not visit. If you customize a tour, you should have no problem avoiding crowds.

What are you and your husband's interests? Perhaps we can help with things to see if we know a little more about what you would like to see.