HELP! Venice public transit info

BURNS1

I am getting confused about the public transit in Venice. The people movers are just at the port? What about the vaporetto, actv & Alilaguna? Which one is best, or difference, for a 48 hr visit,in Venice, before a cruise?

How long does it take to get back to the airport post cruise? What transport is best?

We are staying in San Croce, on the Canal at Antiche Figure for 2 nights before the cruise, not sure for the 1 night after yet?

Any advice would be great! I am very comfortable in the Caribbean, Europe is a new frontier for me.

Okay, so I will try to give you a primer...and if I am not accurate somebody will quickly correct me. The People Mover is an elevated small train (it does not have a driver...but is totally automated) that runs between the Pizzale Roma to the port (and beyond to another nearby island used as a large parking lot). It costs about 1.5€ per ride and the ticket machines are all automatic (they accept Euros or credit cards).

The Vaporettos (which are actually the local public water buses) are operated by a company known as the "ACTV" This company also operates some land buses on various routes outside of Venice. There are many vaporetto routes and they can take you anywhere around Venice (the #1 and #2 boats) or to any of the other islands in the Lagoon (Lido, Murano, Burano, Torcello, etc). A Standard One Way (75 minute) Vaporetto fare is 7.5€ per person. But you can also buy a 24, 48 or even a 72 hour ticket which is good for unlimited vaporetto use for those time frames. These timed tickets make a lot of sense for those that plan to make multiple use of the vaporettos. A 24 hour pass is 20€ and a 48 hour cost 30€. You can buy any ticket from the vending machines (there are a few at the Piazale Roma pier entrance). At some major station (like the P. Roma) there is also a ticket window (with a human) who can sell you a ticket card. Vaporettos go just about everywhere in and around Venice...but there is NO vaporetto stop at the port. The Vaporettos also DO NOT GO TO THE AIRPORT.

There is another private water bus company called the Alilaguna. There boats are similar to vaporettos, but only run on limited routes (3). The Alilaguna does have a line (the Blu Line) that starts at the airport and runs to the cruise port (this would take more than an hour). Tickets on the Alilaguna are not compatible on the vaporettos and vise versa. So we generally suggest that anyone planning to use transportation in and around Venice opt for the Vaporettos (ACTV) since they have many more routes and run more frequently. I think the Alilaguna fares are pretty similar to the vaporettos (at least for around Venice).

Hope this helps.

Hank

Thank you very much Hank! I really appreciate the very informative report on Venice public transportation!

Would you be kind enough to help me with a couple more questions.

What would be the best way to travel with luggage from the Santa Lucia train station to a downtown hotel in San Marco area and then from the hotel to the cruise port?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Without know your specific hotel I can only give you a somewhat generic reply. The best way (if price is no object) is to hire a private water taxi (some of those boats are gorgeous) to take you from the train station pier to your hotel's pier (assuming your hotel has a pier). This will likely cost you around 100€ :). Otherwise, you are going to need to be able to handle your own luggage! In that case you can use the vaporettos (in your case probably the #1 or #2) from the train station pier to the vaporetto pier closest to your hotel. Vaporettos will let you drag one piece of luggage (per person) on the boat with no extra charge. but they might charge you a few Euros for each additional piece. Once you get off the vaporetto (at the closest stop to your hotel) you would normally have to drag your own luggage to your hotel (not always easy if you have a lot of bridges). There are some porters around town who will help you with your luggage, but they do not come cheap and it can be hard to find a porter when you need one. Some of these ports are truly insane and might ask for 50€ to haul your bags over a couple of bridges.

Getting from any hotel to the cruise port is a similar situation. If your hotel happens to be near a stop for the Alilaguna Blu Line...you could use that option...since the Blu line actually has a stop at the cruise port. Otherwise you would likely use a vaporetto to get back to the Piazale Roma where you can walk across the large square (its at least 100 yards) to the People Mover Station where you can take that transportation to the port. But once at the port, you would still need to walk some distance (with your luggage) from the People Mover Station to the approprate cruise terminal. There is also usually an internal port bus system...but you would have to go from the People Mover Station to the nearest bus stop (its at the traffic circle not far from the People Mover.

The bottom line is that Venice is a wonderful place, but a major challenge for many travelers. And if the travelers have too much luggage to handle, or various physical limitations it is not a pretty situation. Personally, although we are in great health, DW and I often stay (pre cruise) at a favorite little inn located right in the Piazale Roma (Ca Doge). We could handle the transportation issues, but often choose not to go through the hassles.

Hank

Wow! Thank-you very much Hank! I have been doing quite a bit of research on internet on Venice and found nothing as helpful as the information you just provided me. I had considered staying at another Hotel, but now, I will definitely look at the Ca Doge. Again thank you so much!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow! Thank-you very much Hank! I have been doing quite a bit of research on internet on Venice and found nothing as helpful as the information you just provided me. I had considered staying at another Hotel, but now, I will definitely look at the Ca Doge. Again thank you so much!

There are a few popular hotels/inns in the Piazale Roma (or nearby). We mentioned Ca Doge which is a very small hotel/INN located a stones throw from the People Mover. Ca Doge is not for everyone as it is small and has no elevator. Another more popular option is the Best Western Olimpia (we have never stayed there...but others here on CC swear by the place).

While staying in (or close) to the P. Roma is convenient to the airport and cruise port, many would argue its not the best part of Venice. We can think of many other locations that are more romantic and closer to more restaurants. So its all a balance of convenience, budget, etc. If money was no object we might opt for the Cipriani or perhaps the Gritti Palace. But for us, money does matter and we tend not to spend a fortune on hotels since we spend very little time in our room.

Hank

There are a few popular hotels/inns in the Piazale Roma (or nearby). We mentioned Ca Doge which is a very small hotel/INN located a stones throw from the People Mover. Ca Doge is not for everyone as it is small and has no elevator. Another more popular option is the Best Western Olimpia (we have never stayed there...but others here on CC swear by the place).

While staying in (or close) to the P. Roma is convenient to the airport and cruise port, many would argue its not the best part of Venice. We can think of many other locations that are more romantic and closer to more restaurants. So its all a balance of convenience, budget, etc. If money was no object we might opt for the Cipriani or perhaps the Gritti Palace. But for us, money does matter and we tend not to spend a fortune on hotels since we spend very little time in our room.

Hank

I completely agree with you about money Hank; my wife and I were not born in a financially rich family and we have not made it into the millionnaire/billionaire club. So as you mentioned, for us, it’s always a question of balancing the enjoyment experience versus cost.

So all the feedback you provided is very helpful for what will most likely be our only lifetime experience in Venice. (There is so much to explore in the world, so I don’t tend to do repeated visits).

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and knowledge!

I completely agree with you about money Hank; my wife and I were not born in a financially rich family and we have not made it into the millionnaire/billionaire club. So as you mentioned, for us, it’s always a question of balancing the enjoyment experience versus cost.

So all the feedback you provided is very helpful for what will most likely be our only lifetime experience in Venice. (There is so much to explore in the world, so I don’t tend to do repeated visits).

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and knowledge!

Two great site worth a look https://www.rometoolkit.com/venice_visit/venice_water_transport.html

https://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/venice-05-06-2011.pdf

Okay, so I will try to give you a primer...and if I am not accurate somebody will quickly correct me. The People Mover is an elevated small train (it does not have a driver...but is totally automated) that runs between the Pizzale Roma to the port (and beyond to another nearby island used as a large parking lot). It costs about 1.5€ per ride and the ticket machines are all automatic (they accept Euros or credit cards).

The Vaporettos (which are actually the local public water buses) are operated by a company known as the "ACTV" This company also operates some land buses on various routes outside of Venice. There are many vaporetto routes and they can take you anywhere around Venice (the #1 and #2 boats) or to any of the other islands in the Lagoon (Lido, Murano, Burano, Torcello, etc). A Standard One Way (75 minute) Vaporetto fare is 7.5€ per person. But you can also buy a 24, 48 or even a 72 hour ticket which is good for unlimited vaporetto use for those time frames. These timed tickets make a lot of sense for those that plan to make multiple use of the vaporettos. A 24 hour pass is 20€ and a 48 hour cost 30€. You can buy any ticket from the vending machines (there are a few at the Piazale Roma pier entrance). At some major station (like the P. Roma) there is also a ticket window (with a human) who can sell you a ticket card. Vaporettos go just about everywhere in and around Venice...but there is NO vaporetto stop at the port. The Vaporettos also DO NOT GO TO THE AIRPORT.

There is another private water bus company called the Alilaguna. There boats are similar to vaporettos, but only run on limited routes (3). The Alilaguna does have a line (the Blu Line) that starts at the airport and runs to the cruise port (this would take more than an hour). Tickets on the Alilaguna are not compatible on the vaporettos and vise versa. So we generally suggest that anyone planning to use transportation in and around Venice opt for the Vaporettos (ACTV) since they have many more routes and run more frequently. I think the Alilaguna fares are pretty similar to the vaporettos (at least for around Venice).

Hope this helps.

Hank

your responses in this thread should be made intoa "sticky" as coversso many questions frequently asked on thisforum re venice

We’re planning a Venice stay for June at the end of our cruise. Another website or phone app that I have found helpful is Rome2Rio. You plug in your starting point and destination for any place in the world and it’ll give you options as to how to get there.

One more question. What is the best, and affordable, way to get to Piazzalle Roma from the airport, that doesn't make us walk too far to reach transport. I see it takes 20 min to walk to the bus!

thanks

One more question. What is the best, and affordable, way to get to Piazzalle Roma from the airport, that doesn't make us walk too far to reach transport. I see it takes 20 min to walk to the bus!

thanks

From the research I’ve done, the bus is the most economical and most direct route. You can hire water taxis, but the cost is much higher.

From the research I’ve done, the bus is the most economical and most direct route. You can hire water taxis, but the cost is much higher.

Yep and that would be the "ATVO express buses. They depart from right outside the main airport exit (just cross over to the pedestrian island where you can find the bus and a ticket vending machine). You can also buy ATVO tickets inside the terminal at the kiosk near the exit. I believe the buses run about every 20 minutes, they are luxury coaches, have plenty of luggage storage underneath, and its a nice comfy way to get to the Piazale Roma.

Another option is to purchase your ATVO bus ticket in advance (online) where you even get a small discount. Here is a link to their site:

http://www.atvo.it/en-venice-airport.html

Hank

Hope this helps.

Hank

I endorse most of what Hank has posted here and elsewhere in this thread. However, I would not treat the ACTV vs. Alilaguna as an either/or choice. The ACTV vaporettos are great for in/around Venice and the lagoon, Alilaguna is a nice supplement with more limited routes which do include the airport. So on recent visits (before and after a cruise) I bought multiday ACTV ticket vouchers and an airport round trip on Alilaguna. My choice of a place to stay includes consideration of access to P. Roma, (for access to People Mover and to trains), an ACTV stop, and a Alilaguna stop (for access to the airport).

The really wonderful thing for me about the ACTV multi-day pass is how liberating it can be. The cost is fixed, money spent, no anxieties about whether or not to catch a water bus. We treat them like hop on hop offs throughout our Venice stays. Jump over to Murano? No problem. Spend time in the Ghetto? Easy to get to. Over to Guideccia (sp?)? No problem. Of course we do a lot of walking as well, but the vapporettos are great.

thanks

One additional comment. It used to be a long walk from the arrival terminal to the Alilaguna stop, but recently moving belts have been added (like in air terminals) which makes the transition much easier. But as for the bus, I know nothing.

Stan

We are booked in at the Rialto Hotel, what would be the easiest transport transfer from airport to hotel and hotel to cruiseport

If you go to the website or app called Rome2Rio.com you can plug in your to and from and it’ll not only tell you the easiest route, but it also will give you approximate cost.

If you haven't booked your post cruise hotel yet, may I recommend Murano Palace? I had trouble finding something nice and affordable for one night (Saturday) after our cruise in October in Venice itself. Most things were either too expensive, already booked up, or required two nights stay, or looked very very sketchy. So, having spent 2 nights in Venice before our cruise, we decided to go further afield to Murano, which we hadn't yet visited. It was an easy trip to Murano via Alilaguna from the Piazzale Roma. The hotel on the island was a 5 minute walk from the boat stop and required no crossing of any bridges. The island is lovely and not as crowded as Venice itself. We enjoyed a lovely dinner and were very happy with our hotel choice. In the morning, we hopped on another Alilaguna boat which took us directly to the airport! My husband, a sailor, thought this was great!

We took the ATVO bus from the airport to Piazalle Roma, then a vaporetto to San Marco for our hotel. I looked at all options and decided that was the fastest option (except for an expensive water taxi), so that's what we decided to do. We picked a hotel that was only two blocks from a stop on a lesser-used vaporetto line, and that did not require going over any bridges. Porters to help with bags are very few and far between.

That type of traveling is not for everyone, but it worked for us.

Just be aware when traveling in Venice that actv (see actv.it) and alilaguna (aliguna.it) vaporettos are different, and require separate tickets. We saw people getting tickets for not having the right kind, or for having expired tickets. If you buy a timed ticket, you can check how much time you have left on automatic ticket machines at many vaporetto stops. When you board a vaporetto, make sure it's going in the direction you want. Some aren't marked all that clearly, or if they are, it's hard to determine which direction they're going. Keep the ticket receipt in case the vaporetto police need to see it.

Be sure you know the hours of the People Mover. I don't believe it runs late at night, and Sunday hours are a little limited.

When you can, take the less crowded vaporettos - i.e., not the #1 or #2!

Allow plenty of time to get lost - I had maps and a compass and still struggled! People tried to help me, but it's hard for Venetians to tell people how to get somewhere when so many streets are one block long and unmarked!