Copenhagen and Stockholm Currency

bee-ess

Can anyone tell me if the EURO is widely accepted in Copenhagen, I am trying to avoid taking too many different currencies on our Baltic Cruise. Would I be able to get by with Euros and Credit Card. What things if any any would I specifically need Danish Kroner for.

Same question for Stockholm.

We are going to be doing DIY tours around both Cities so am thinking about admissiions, transport, food and drinks etc.

We used credit card for everything in Copenhagen. We picked up currency at airport and we still had the same amt when we returned after the cruise. We didn’t spend any of it on the 3 days prior to the cruise in Copenhagen so we used it for the taxi and exchanged rest at airport. From a bottle of water at 7-11 to dinner, we used CC all the time. Same thing for our day in Stockholm. Only once did I wish we had coins to rent a locker at the vasa. Again in Oslo however a noticed a couple places had signs accepting euros/USD for the restroom.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You may find euros accepted at some places in both Copenhagen and Stockholm, but I would not say they are "widely" accepted. If you don't want to get any of the local currency from ATMs in Copenhagen or Stockholm (which is easy to do), then use your credit card everywhere. As Anthonyy7 said, the main need for local currency is to rent lockers in the various museums. I needed coins for the lockers at Rosenborg Castle in Copenhagen -- largest bag allowed is 6x10x6 inches.

On our Baltic cruise, I needed local coins for a public toilet in Stockholm, and we found one street vendor in Copenhagen that didn't take CC's. Everywhere else we went, CC's were accepted, including all other street vendors (food, souvenirs, etc.)

My future Baltic cruise. I always get Euros because any left over goes on my next trip. However, for the Baltics, I need 3 "other" currencies. Although I use CC for everything possible, I will be getting about the equivalent of $50.00 for each. Basically pocket money. I never seem to have an issue spending it on little things for the grandkids, or snacks etc. For St. Petersburg, I'm getting $200.00. I will use a CC also on some things, but on the second day, what I have left over, I will tip the tour people the money and if I don't have any rubles left, than they gladly accept EUR or USD for tips.

The CC thing is accurate, but it failed miserably in Copenhagen when trying to use it to buy train tickets from the machine when trying to get back to the airport from the city center. Our American cards don't have a pin, so the machines wouldn't accept them. Needed Danish cash (which you could get from an ATM)...or you wait for the ticket office to open to buy in person.

Not quite true, in that many American CC's are transitioning to chip and PIN's. We actually asked to switch ours out to one prior to our Baltic cruise. No problems with that, and maybe 70% of our local businesses use it as designed (insert rather than swipe.)

My future Baltic cruise. I always get Euros because any left over goes on my next trip. However, for the Baltics, I need 3 "other" currencies. Although I use CC for everything possible, I will be getting about the equivalent of $50.00 for each. Basically pocket money. I never seem to have an issue spending it on little things for the grandkids, or snacks etc. For St. Petersburg, I'm getting $200.00. I will use a CC also on some things, but on the second day, what I have left over, I will tip the tour people the money and if I don't have any rubles left, than they gladly accept EUR or USD for tips.

After reading a lot about this, I agree and will be doing this as well. It's easiest just to get various forms of currencies from local banks before leaving the US. You can always exchange back any leftovers.