HOHO bus in Helsinki

I see that the HOHO bus will come to to our port berth, but that the bus doesn't start running until 10AM from Senate Square. This is stop #1...I would be picking up the bus at stop #8. Does anyone know what time it would finally get to me? We get in early, and I don't want to sit around for a couple of hours waiting to catch the bus...nor do I see the point in walking to stop #9 to catch it. Thanks.

Is your ship docking at Melkki Cruise Terminal? We docked here on the Regal Princess and took tram#9 into the city to see sights. You could do same and pick the bus up later and end back at the ship? Helsinki is very easy to get around and not very big.

Is your ship docking at Melkki Cruise Terminal? We docked here on the Regal Princess and took tram#9 into the city to see sights. You could do same and pick the bus up later and end back at the ship? Helsinki is very easy to get around and not very big.

Yes, that's where we're coming in...also on the Regal. Did you take the HOHO back to the ship, or did you just take the tram back?

We didn't take the HOHO. We got a transit pass (Tram & Bus) for €8 from a kiosk outside the nearby terminal where Tram#9 turns around. We used our chip cc and didn't ask for a pin. It's about a 5-10 min walk. We took the tram a few stops and walked to the Rock Church and then we did the Rick Steves walk from there back to Senate Sq. We took the tram out to the Sebelius monument and the bus back to the city centre and the tram back to the ship. Once your in the city centre it's very walkable. I highly recommend Cafe Esplande for a lunch break. The coffee and Finlandia cin buns are A+ The sail away is very nice leaving Helsinki when passing by all the islands esp on the port side

We didn't take the HOHO. We got a transit pass (Tram & Bus) for €8 from a kiosk outside the nearby terminal where Tram#9 turns around. We used our chip cc and didn't ask for a pin. It's about a 5-10 min walk. We took the tram a few stops and walked to the Rock Church and then we did the Rick Steves walk from there back to Senate Sq. We took the tram out to the Sebelius monument and the bus back to the city centre and the tram back to the ship. Once your in the city centre it's very walkable. I highly recommend Cafe Esplande for a lunch break. The coffee and Finlandia cin buns are A+ The sail away is very nice leaving Helsinki when passing by all the islands esp on the port side

In your opinion, was the Sebelius monument worth the time it took to get there?

We took the HOHO from the port to the city. It does run sooner than 10am. We docked at 7am and got on the bus about 7.30. It left about 8am when it was almost full and dropped us off at Market Square. You could either get off from there and walk around or get the regular HOHO route from there.

On the way back to port you have to meet at Senate Square in front of the cathedral to get back to port. In the shed at the port there are HOHO staff who will advise you when the first bus leaves and when the last one will leave the city for the port. No need to book in advance, perhaps just see how you feel at the time you reach the dock then choose either to use the HOHO or the tram to the city.

The HOHO bus from Senate Square to port was packed tight when we tried to get back. It was standing room only.

Helsinki is mostly walkable so we used a mixture of the HOHO and walking and the ferry to Suomenlinna fortress.

The Sibelius Monument is Ok, not fantastic. The problem is if there are too many people they clamber all over the monument so you can't really get any good photos.

Unfortunately the Olympic Stadium and tower is still under construction and closed until further notice.

• 1 month later...

Am I reading your post correctly? You took the tram to the Rock Church, did the Rick Steves walk to Senate Square, and then took the tram from Senate Square all the way back out to Sebelius? Then bus from Sibelius to city center and tram back to ship? Was there some reason you didn't continue on from the Rock Church out to Sibelius and then work your way back via the Rick Steves walk?

What time did you dock? I wanted to go to the furthest point and work our way back, but the Rock Church doesn't open until 10:00 and we dock at 7:00.

We were in Port 7a-4p at LMU/West Quay area and took Tram#9 however it seems there has been some changes to the route numbers and prices. A day pass is now €9 and single ticket €2.50 if purchased from a machine, slightly more if from the driver. It seems Tram#7 now runs the same route we had taken in 2016. We left the ship at 930a and we’re back by 230p. It was a beautiful day and Helsinki is so compact and easy to get around that we saw quite a few things in that little bit of time. Plus we were exhausted after 2 full busy days in St Petersburg.

From the ship, you'll exit and walk through a building with white top(shops, free wifi) then towards a big parking lot. There is a pathway with blue painted line you can follow towards the Länsiterminaali terminal. The tram actually turns around so you can't miss it coming. The stop is a min walk further down from the kiosk outside the terminal. Look for a covered bus stop.

cfcee1c03fb19d1f384b09a25388951f.jpg

095fb575880af894e81d1ee320d43c5d.jpg

a2ec7e8ac5bb6b085afc0f52c417850f.jpg

cfea67327fd226aede360e629fdb126c.jpg

We hopped on rode it a couple stops to Kampintori. The Rock church was a 10 min walk straight up the crossroad in front of where the stop is located. As you get closer you can see the dome of the church. There is a tram stop closer but it involved changing trams so walking from there was faster.

From there we liked the neighborhood and decided to wander around until we found a big lake near Finlandia Hall. We picked up Rick Steves walk and stopped for lunch along the way.

Then we realized we had time to head out to the Sibelius monument. We took the tram there and bus back because the bus stop was closer. Having internet and google directions helps you get around easily. That’s how I realized a bus would be coming and it would be faster than walking back to the tram stop.

I suppose you could head out to the monument first thing in morning since other things would be closed. I hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks anthonyy7 - great information!! We are also in port from 7:00 - 4:00. According to the Port of Helsinki web page, we are arriving at West Harbor and Hernesaari; Berth LMA. That's a little confusing because according to Rick Steves book, LMA is at the West Terminal of West Harbor (LHB and LHC are at Hernesaari Terminal of West Harbor).

Your description seems to match his for the West Terminal (Lansiterminaali). Based on his description of this (even though there is no mention of LMU and the blue line apparently is now a green line).

He says the Lansiterminaali building has ATMs, WCs, and a newsstand and automated machines where you can by the tram tickets. Does that seem right?

And yes, I had already discovered the change in tram numbers; Tram 7 will take you from West Harbor to Senate Square. I also found that starting February 2018, the tram drivers will no longer sell tickets.

Looking at the port schedule, I think West Harbor and Hernesaari means one general area as opposed to the other port areas which aren't nearby. I would trust the berth location of LMA which is Melkki quay near the West Terminals. LMA/LV7 berths have the blue line to Tram #7 and LHB/LHC have the green line to Bus Stop #14

We briefly went inside the Lansiterminaali terminal to look for a ticket machine/booth but found nothing. We realized we walked past the ticket machine for the tram which is outside next to the street curbside directly in front of the building.

We are docking at West Harbor Berth LMA 0900 Wed 5/9. Sounds like we will have to look for the tram ticket line and catch #7 to Senate Square, then walk a block to Market Square to get the waterbus to Suomenlinna.

Sound about right?

That could be a VERY long line when we begin disembarking for the day....unless everybody is else is taking tours or the HOHO bus. :confused:

We are docking at West Harbor Berth LMA 0900 Wed 5/9. Sounds like we will have to look for the tram ticket line and catch #7 to Senate Square, then walk a block to Market Square to get the waterbus to Suomenlinna.

Sound about right?

That could be a VERY long line when we begin disembarking for the day....unless everybody is else is taking tours or the HOHO bus. :confused:

Hopefully there won't be many looking to take the tram however I would be one of the first off and walk quickly. If you aren't the only ones headed to the tram you could (carefully) cut through the parking lot direct rather than follow the blue line which isn't a direct route. Also you know where the ticket machine is right outside :) It's possible someone was selling tickets as people disembarked early in the morning. We left the ship a couple hours after arrival so we saw a few others leaving. The tram itself won't hold alot of cruisers. Please report back to us your experience! I really wanted to go to suomenlina but we were too tired out. Maybe next time!

We are docking at the West Harbor. What's our options to get to Market Square?

Rick Steve's said exit through Ristelly terminal to head into town. Go out port gate, follow green line on pavement about 10 minutes to Lansiterminaali Bldg. Across street is Verkkokauppa.com shopping. Directly in front is stop for tram#9. This takes you to downtown. Get off at train station (Rautatieasemal/Jarnvagsstationen stop.

Rick Steve's said exit through Ristelly terminal to head into town. Go out port gate, follow green line on pavement about 10 minutes to Lansiterminaali Bldg. Across street is Verkkokauppa.com shopping. Directly in front is stop for tram#9. This takes you to downtown. Get off at train station (Rautatieasemal/Jarnvagsstationen stop.

This info must be old....as of Aug 2017 they changed their tram routes and we now ill need to take # 7 to Senaatintori (Senate Squ) which is the nearest stop to Market Square. See this link