Civi to Cinque Terre Question About an Early Train

Lastdance

My DH and I have trained to CT before, but this time the trains go from 7:45 AM and jump to 10:47 AM. Our ship, Reflection, docks at 5:00 AM. Just wondering if we should even try to make the 7:45 AM train? I keep going back and forth, but am leaning toward the later train to not have to rush. Anyone out there with ideas?

I don't think you'd have any problem making the earlier train but it might increase your stress level a tad.

There's no need to buy your ticket in advance, so why not wait and decide when you get there? If you can get off in time without feeling pushed, go for the early train. If it's feeling rushed, hang out and eat a leisurely breakfast on board and be among the last folks off. Of course, to have that kind of flexibility you'll need to carry your bags off yourself rather than put them out for the porters the night before.

I don't think you'd have any problem making the earlier train but it might increase your stress level a tad.

There's no need to buy your ticket in advance, so why not wait and decide when you get there? If you can get off in time without feeling pushed, go for the early train. If it's feeling rushed, hang out and eat a leisurely breakfast on board and be among the last folks off. Of course, to have that kind of flexibility you'll need to carry your bags off yourself rather than put them out for the porters the night before.

We want to choose our seats and be close to our baggage. I think we can make it too, but do not know if I want the stress, as a leisurely breakfast and extra time my be the best choice. We are spending a week this time in CT, so not a big rush to get there. We will carry our own bags off, as we like to have them with us. Last cruise we decided not to and our bags, even though we were in a suite, were in two different areas. Actually, we do travel light! Thanks for trying to assist...seems like we think the same way! If we go early, the ship could be late/...if we go later, the ship may be later...HAHAHA! I hate my 360 thinking!

We would be tempted not to make any train reservations. If you do make the early train I do not see a problem with sitting near your luggage. Or sit near one of those back to back seats where you can slide your bag in between.

We have done a fair amount of train travel in Italy. This is actually one of the reasons why we switched to carry on only when we travel. Lugging suitcases on and off trains, ferry boats, rentals gets stale very quickly. We seldom reserve unless it is a holiday period as we like to remain flexible. Besides, I cannot imagine that a 7:45 train will be overly crowded. Our experience is that it is a bit of a time waster to overthink things like this-especially in Italy.

We would be tempted not to make any train reservations. If you do make the early train I do not see a problem with sitting near your luggage. Or sit near one of those back to back seats where you can slide your bag in between.

We have done a fair amount of train travel in Italy. This is actually one of the reasons why we switched to carry on only when we travel. Lugging suitcases on and off trains, ferry boats, rentals gets stale very quickly. We seldom reserve unless it is a holiday period as we like to remain flexible. Besides, I cannot imagine that a 7:45 train will be overly crowded. Our experience is that it is a bit of a time waster to overthink things like this-especially in Italy.

That is why the prices are half the price for the later train. I am thinking about the time restraints from getting off my cruise. I have done this before, but there was a train in-between these two times and we definitely want first class...you are right about over thinking it! yes, I could wait and then decide the night before...tickets are cheaper when purchasing early.

Is it worth taking a tour of CT or going on your own? Any suggestions for a tour company? Most sound so expensive for something you can do on your own.

Taking the train does not sound so bad. It is getting from the ship to the train.

You are trying to purchase too far in advance. Try again about four months prior to your travel date.

There is zero chance of this train selling out, if that's your reason for advance purchase. Assuming you are looking at a Frecce or IC train you can save money by buying in advance, but if your plans are not set in stone you could walk up and buy a ticket at the last minute.

• 2 weeks later...
Is it worth taking a tour of CT or going on your own? Any suggestions for a tour company? Most sound so expensive for something you can do on your own.

Taking the train does not sound so bad. It is getting from the ship to the train.

Since cars are not allowed(Monterosso they are) taking the train is the easiest, as you can get off at any of the villages. If you go by car and driver, it is very expensive and the driver waits for you...what port are you speaking about with this question? I hope not Civi...La Spezia? Is it just for several hours or do you plan to spend several nights?

Yes, you are way over-thinking this. Just buy the tickets for the later train, choose the seats you want, and look forward to the leisure of a nice breakfast and strolling off the ship without crowds of people rushing and grabbing and shoving.

This is what my gut was telling me also, along with my DH! Tickets have been purchased and we have plenty of time to make the train station and even possible find a taxi, since we are getting off the ship so late! Thanks!