Tavel irons or steamers?

GetMeToTheSpa

My suspicion is that it wasn't the ship's security who made that call. In most ports, the shoreside security staff work for the port, not the cruise line. They may check passengers in for many cruise lines, each with their own requirements. But even if it was Celebrity personnel, sometimes ad hoc decisions are made which don't match the regulations.

No it wasn't. It was ship's security. I went down to the security room after the ship sailed.

So if it's for your convenience, rules are OK to be broken as long as you get away with it? You realize this particular rule is a fire hazard issue (see my post #5) - but I guess that doesn't matter...:rolleyes:

Ohhhh dear, yes I do see your point. Absolutely. I stand ashamed and deservedly rebuked. I shall leave the steamer at home and be wrinkled forevermore. Almost every ship that's been lost was due to fire, most notably my beloved Normandie. I wonder, how I could ever have been so crass as to disregard the fire rules, just in a vain effort to look neat. WELL it wont happen again! Thank you for setting me straight!

I was sent to the naughty room over a travel steamer after boarding the solstice earlier this year - but they fully discussed it amongst themselves and decided it was okay for me to have it and didn’t confiscate. I was kind of surprised. They said since it just boils water essentially it was fine.

My suspicion is that it wasn't the ship's security who made that call. In most ports, the shoreside security staff work for the port, not the cruise line. They may check passengers in for many cruise lines, each with their own requirements. But even if it was Celebrity personnel, sometimes ad hoc decisions are made which don't match the regulations.

I would agree with you, but as you can see from Toronto Guy's post regarding this he was called to the naughty room, which is on board the ship and staffed by ships' security. So it was their judgement in this case that is in question.

And as said before, I find no issue with the fact he had it with him - in particular with his travel circumstances that resulted in that - but with the ship staff who made the decision that it was OK. But I guess in fairness we weren't there and aren't them, so who knows why they made the decision they made.

Ohhhh dear, yes I do see your point. Absolutely. I stand ashamed and deservedly rebuked. I shall leave the steamer at home and be wrinkled forevermore. Almost every ship that's been lost was due to fire, most notably my beloved Normandie. I wonder, how I could ever have been so crass as to disregard the fire rules, just in a vain effort to look neat. WELL it wont happen again! Thank you for setting me straight!

What you're doing is deliberately deceitful to sneak on a prohibited item, so I doubt you're going to garner much sympathy. No different than someone saying "It's my vacation so I'm going to smoke in my room if I want to."

From the "new" Celebrity website:

Steamers are not mentioned.

"Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed."

From the "new" Celebrity website:

Steamers are not mentioned.

"Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed."

Hello,

Also from the "new" Celebrity website...(depending on which link you click on) :

Q.What items are prohibited on board?

A.Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, steamers, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.

Just another example of Celebrity's "consistent inconsistencies" !! :)

BBL

Now I’m worried, up until a few years they had hand grenades listed on the prohibited list. Maybe their under “any other item”

Worry not...I believe hand grenades would be covered under this section:

Weapons, Explosives or Other Dangerous Items

No weapon, explosive, or other item that presents a risk of harm to persons or property, are is permitted on board. ;p (even if it is poor grammar) ;p

BBL

Just so everyone doesn't think I'm completely careless of others' safety. The travel steamer I so "deceitfully sneaked" aboard all those ships was bought at travel store, designed for shipboard use, takes less current than a blow dryer and has an auto shut off feature. Perhaps this is why it's never been confiscated. But never mind. I see your point. I should follow the rules and won't bring it aboard again. Can't bear to be thought of as deceitful - even by myself.

On the bright side, I thank you for making me realize my error with the steamer which points out this whole packing light, capsule wardrobe thing is a phase that has run its course for me. Back in the early 90s when I bought the steamer, I was a terrible overpacker with three checked bags and two carry ons. The steamer helped me to pare it all down to one checked bag and two carry ons. Now without the steamer, I can justify paying for extra baggage so I have lots of clothes and won't miss those for a day or two when sent our to be pressed. I enjoy planning a cruise wardrobe and packing it all so very very much. Now I can go back to really revelling in it - glorious excess!

Also, the whole Evening Chic thing has run its course for me. I shall go back to evening dresses. It's such a joy to slip into something beaded and extravagant. I look forward to meeting you all at the Martini Bar before dinner. Bon Voyage.....Lauren

What you're doing is deliberately deceitful to sneak on a prohibited item, so I doubt you're going to garner much sympathy. No different than someone saying "It's my vacation so I'm going to smoke in my room if I want to."

Jeez, she apologized! She promised never to do it again. She thanked people for setting her straight. What more do you want?

I've sailed with Lauren multiple times and know her well. There isn't a person anywhere who loves cruising and Celebrity in particular more than she does. She would never knowingly do anything to harm the ship or others. Give it a rest.

Jeez, she apologized! She promised never to do it again. She thanked people for setting her straight. What more do you want?

I've sailed with Lauren multiple times and know her well. There isn't a person anywhere who loves cruising and Celebrity in particular more than she does. She would never knowingly do anything to harm the ship or others. Give it a rest.

I read the "apology" (and follow-up) as dripping with so much sarcasm that I could see it running down my screen. Perhaps I'm wrong. At the very least, the original comment read as if it was how to get away with not getting caught (packing it in two pieces in two suitcases). *shrug* Either way, now everyone knows that it's not allowed.

My suitcase ended up in the naughty room for my hair straightening iron a couple weeks ago on the Constellation. Seems they are getting even more strict, I bring it every time, and never had any issues. I had to go show them what it was to get my suitcase out.

After all that, I accidentally left it on the ship. ;p