Tip at the Start of a Cruise

Bob++

To each their own.

I tip throughout the cruise. Waiters, drink servers, bartenders and bathroom attendants. Some large, some small.

I have never had anyone not accept the money and the service thereafter has always been impeccable.

These people bust their humps for OUR enjoyment. I hope my little contributions make their difficult lives a little better.

To each their own.

I tip throughout the cruise. Waiters, drink servers, bartenders and bathroom attendants. Some large, some small.

I have never had anyone not accept the money and the service thereafter has always been impeccable.

These people bust their humps for OUR enjoyment. I hope my little contributions make their difficult lives a little better.

The question is when you do it? Is it before the service or after?

No one is writing don’t give anything extra.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Just returned home from a cruise on the Summit (7/8-7/15).We had an excellent steward. Everyday we had fresh towels twice a day and ice everyday without asking for anything.

The steward deserved the generous trip we gave him on the last sea day of the cruise.

We are going on a 14-night cruise and my DD, SIL and their baby are in the next cabin. I am minded to tip the attendant on day one in recognition of the extra work having a baby in the cabin. My question is - how much is reasonable? Grats are prepaid so this would be over and above.

I don’t believe in tipping up front; rather I expect people to do their job. And usually give extra at the end.

But I don’t understand why you are involved at all. If your daughter is old enough to be married with child, isn’t she old enough to handle interactions with the people who serve her? I can see discussing this with her, slipping her an extra $300-500 to use as tips as she feels the need, but can’t she decide? Will she be allowed any input on if/when/how much you will tip the waiter at the end of the cruise? Sorry, but I just don’t understand helicopter parents.

Years ago while cruising we paid the daily tips as was the custom, on the last evening of the cruise directly to those who provided the services, (dining wait staff, maître d, sommelier, cabin steward and assistant etc.) and additional to those who were deserving. We always did both on the last evening and always had outstanding service. We always treated those who served us in any position with friendliness, respect, kindness and consideration and took interest in them. We've learned a lot over the years from them. When pre-paid gratuities came along, we left the pre-paid gratuities in place and continued our tradition of handing out additional gratuities the last evening generously. We've never had anything other than outstanding service by our cabin stewards. I can't imagine that tipping extra beforehand would have improved the service we've received. A friendly attitude, smile and thank you go a long way with people as a general rule. We have always said an additional thanks at the end accompanied by a supplementary monetary thanks. The fact that the OP asked the question indicated to me that OP is thoughtful and considerate as well as appreciative of the help and service they receive and will express that gratefully to their steward. Whether they decide to tip pre-cruise or post-cruise, it'll work out well.

The way I see it, the steward will already be receiving tips for the baby as one of the people booked in the cabin. Not sure why the baby in the cabin would require more extra work than any other extra person in the cabin - possibly less work. Yes I have traveled with babies.

Tip extra at the end if it was deserved.

Mike

Why not mix both...

Talk to the stateroom attendant and give him a small amount as a token for his extra work. He/she will probably appreciate it...

At the end of the cruise you will see how satisfied you are and you can still decide if and how much tip it is worth to you.

We have done a hybrid of tip giving

We have initially asked for a few things and if gotten given a tip or we have asked for things and a few days into cruise given a tip and for sure always given the prepaid tips.

We have found that great stewards preform great with or without an early tip, but we like to give them, so we will continue to reward great service close to the time of the service, on occasion and always at the end of the cruise.

I do not think you can 'buy / tip' your way to great service though. IMHO

Cruise lines do hire some great people to provide us great service on our cruise. Not 100% of their hires, but in 90's%. I think cruise lines do a pretty good job of getting very good help.

Have a great cruise.

I usually tip at the beginning about $20 and ask to have ice every afternoon and usually some extra hangers. I am a low maintenance guest, but I usually get great service. I tip extra at the end as well if I find they are hard working and they mostly are.

I was going to write a lengthy reply, but

Don't waste your energy Bob - these days, people feel more emboldened than ever to be rude and judgmental - no manners, no kindness, no patience. It's very sad

My daughters, their significant others (1 husband, 1 BF) and I are going on a family cruise in December - my treat (for my birthday:D) and we can NOT wait!

Hope you enjoy every minute of this wonderful trip with your family!

To each their own.

Totally agree with you! We do the same! If we can afford to cruise, we can definitely afford to give a few dollars to those who work so hard to make sure we are well taken care of. We've even tip the pizza maker since we are known to grab a late night snack before bed on a different cruise line. I've always had a part time job in the service industry so I can really relate!

Went back and read the original post as I lost track of the question. I interpreted the question to relate to a specific issue- a baby in the room. No matter how neat, clean, organized the parents are, babies travel with a lot of stuff. I can understand why the question was asked. My suggestion would be, if your family is pleased with the steward’s performance, perhaps a small monetary and verbal acknowledgment of his good work a few days into the cruise. Also, turn in one of the comment cards praising him, by name and specifically why, after a few days. You can then tip a little more on the last night.

Totally agree with you! We do the same! If we can afford to cruise, we can definitely afford to give a few dollars to those who work so hard to make sure we are well taken care of. We've even tip the pizza maker since we are known to grab a late night snack before bed on a different cruise line. I've always had a part time job in the service industry so I can really relate!

Fist bump!

Went back and read the original post as I lost track of the question. I interpreted the question to relate to a specific issue- a baby in the room. No matter how neat, clean, organized the parents are, babies travel with a lot of stuff. I can understand why the question was asked. My suggestion would be, if your family is pleased with the steward’s performance, perhaps a small monetary and verbal acknowledgment of his good work a few days into the cruise. Also, turn in one of the comment cards praising him, by name and specifically why, after a few days. You can then tip a little more on the last night.

Pretty much how I am thinking. Remember I am British so tipping is not part of our culture - I normally tip only for service above and beyond.

Pretty much how I am thinking. Remember I am British so tipping is not part of our culture - I normally tip only for service above and beyond.

In this situation, I think your culture should take precedent. If the service is above and beyond, tip him at the end of the cruise.

We always leave the prepaid grats in place and we also leave extra in cash at the end of the cruise. We also keep our cabin as neat and tidy and clean as we possibly can. We make sure the bathroom is clean and our personal items put away. We don't want our steward to spend a lot of their precious time picking up after us before they can do their chores. We've never given a cash tip at the beginning of the cruise, but to each their own.

This is us. I've never tipped at the beginning of a cruise and never plan to. We keep our cabin neat and don't have many demands. We usually tip some extra $20-$40 at the end of a cruise. We always leave the auto tips on.