Panama Canal cruise - visa needed? Confused about the day in the canal

ukdeblarz

Please help with some advice.

Just booked Island Princess for Dec 20.

1. Do we need a visa for any of the ports? Costa Rica, Columbia, Panama?

2. For the day that we are in the canal (Christmas Day), it says Scenic Cruising 6a - 330p then Colon Panama from 5 - 8 p.m.

Do I understand it correctly that you can stay on the ship as you go through the canal and then just get off in Colon for the shops? I wonder if they will be open on Christmas Day? Or you get off at a lake to go on an excursion then get back on the ship in Colon?

I saw some people say for the first time doing the canal not to take an excursion. Why is this? Is it because she get off at the lake and miss some of the canal?

I'm confused so any advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you

Your screen name gives me cause to think you are from the UK, but since you are Iowa... not so sure?? Folks holding a US passport do not need any visas that I am aware of, however maybe someone with direct knowledge will hopefully chime in.

Looks like you are on what is called a partial transit, where the ship will enter the Canal via Gatun Locks on the Atlantic side. The ship will lock up through Gatun Locks to Gatun Lake. After the ship reaches Gatun Lake passengers who have elected to take shore excursions will tender off the ship to join their tours. While those passengers are on their tours the ship will lock back down through Gatun Locks and sail the short distance to the pier in Colon. This is where the touring passengers will rejoin the ship.

Those passengers electing to stay on board for the return trip through the locks will find the ship less crowded and the prime viewing spots more readily available. It is certainly enjoyable, but you are traveling over ground you have already covered that morning. There are a number of popular tours that people choose... One is the tour that takes you to the Pacific side where you pass through the two locks on the Pacific side and sail through Gaillard Cut. The advantage of this tour is it will give you almost a complete transit of the Canal. Another popular tour is a to the Embera Indians. A tour of Panama City or a ride on the Panama Railroad are popular as well.

You of course can stay on the ship for the passage back through Gatun Locks as I indicated above. There is a fairly decent mall attached to the the pier where the ship docks. The shops would be open for most holidays, but Christmas is one of the big ones and I am really not sure what you will find on that day. If you are on an excursion then you will rejoin the ship when it docks in Colon.

"I saw some people say for the first time doing the canal not to take an excursion. Why is this? Is it because she get off at the lake and miss some of the canal?"

This is where personal preferences come into play. In full disclosure I have stayed on the ship for the return through the locks, but I have been everywhere in Panama where the tours would take you. The Canal, the Locks were my focal point on those trips... that is why I stayed on the ship. However you really won't miss any of the Canal if you get off to take a tour. You are retracing your route that you traveled that morning. You will be traveling over about 8 miles of a 50 mile Canal twice in the same day. I tend to come down on the side that you have come a long way, why not maximize your time and see what you can squeeze into your short visit. In the end it is what you are most comfortable with:D. And if you stay on the ship you are certain to find that a day in the Canal has its ups and downs;)!

• 3 weeks later...

No "visas" for any ports you'll visit.

Yes, if you stay on the ship when excursion folks leave, you will have a wonderful afternoon...the ship will be much less crowded and as you re-exit the canal at the end of the day, you will have your choice of viewing spots, unlike in the early morning where folks will be 6 deep trying to catch a glimpse of anything. Also, it's MIGHTY hot and humid in Panama...having access to some AC during the afternoon is bliss!

I don't know how 'into" the canal you are, but you see 3 sets of locks, twice!, on a partial...and it was ample for me!

I would imagine if a ship is calling on Xmas, the shops at the pier will be open.

• 1 month later...
Please help with some advice.

Just booked Island Princess for Dec 20.

2. For the day that we are in the canal (Christmas Day), it says Scenic Cruising 6a - 330p then Colon Panama from 5 - 8 p.m.

Do I understand it correctly that you can stay on the ship as you go through the canal and then just get off in Colon for the shops? I wonder if they will be open on Christmas Day? Or you get off at a lake to go on an excursion then get back on the ship in Colon?

We are booked on the same cruise. We’ve cruised for Christmas the last five years and the port shops being open on Christmas is hit or miss. I think we’re the only ship in port and for such a short time, I wouldn’t count on them being open, but we could be surprised!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums