Colon

RRLLAL

Hi, we are doing a 14 day cruise next May on the Carnival Triumph. It is billed as a Panama Canal cruise but in reality, Colon is our only Panama Canal stop. The others are Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, Cayman Islands and Limon. We go from Limon one day to Colon the next. We will be in Colon from 8am - 5pm.

I have read other threads about Colon. It appears this stop will be at the "mouth" of the canal and we really won't be traveling in the canal. Is that correct? It also appears there isn't anything to do right in Colon and excursions are suggested. Has anyone who has docked only in Colon got any suggestions of cool excursions?

Any other information is appreciated.

Thanks.

Does it advertise as a Canal transit (or, in your case, "partial transit")? Are there excursions for sale? How long are those excursions?

If you don't actually go in the Canal, I would book anything that might take you through the Canal. That is the main point!!

If you book a trip in the Canal I would recommend that you do it thru the ship. We took a ship sponsored boat ride and it was hours late due to canal traffic. The ship waited for us! If you are only going to visit the locks you can book on your own. When we were there 5 years ago the cruise line did not recommended to visiting Colon city on our own.

Does it advertise as a Canal transit (or, in your case, "partial transit")? Are there excursions for sale? How long are those excursions?

If you don't actually go in the Canal, I would book anything that might take you through the Canal. That is the main point!!

no transit, no partial.no idea on excursions yet, too early.

If you book a trip in the Canal I would recommend that you do it thru the ship. We took a ship sponsored boat ride and it was hours late due to canal traffic. The ship waited for us! If you are only going to visit the locks you can book on your own. When we were there 5 years ago the cruise line did not recommended to visiting Colon city on our own.

thanks for the info.

I'm sure your ship will offer a shore excursion that is a "partial transit", which is a passage through the two Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut. If history is any guide you will only be able to book this excursion through the ship since there really isn't that many tour operators available to offer the excursion privately.

The ship will no doubt offer s number of other excursions that will visit the locks from shore side and also tours of Panama City, a trip on the railroad. Probably one of the most popular non-Canal excursions would be a visit to the Embera Indians, one of Panama's indigenous peoples.

I was in Colon to depart on a Windstar sailing on March 17, 2018. All I can tell you for sure is that if you are indeed in the port of Colon for the day, you absolutely need to be on a private tour or at least with a private, pre-arranged driver. It is not a town where you want to be wandering around on your own or without a plan. The roads were nearly impassible with huge pot holes and washed out areas. I cannot believe they actually use this port for everyday tourists in its current condition.

If your ship isn't doing a "partial" transit, you will want an excursion to access the canal. You do stop at the 'mouth" of the canal...you don't actually enter it. And yes...you will need a ship's excursion for this. You do NOT want to be roaming around Colon on your own at all. The ships at the dock are fine, but that will take about 25 mins to explore!

I was in Colon to depart on a Windstar sailing on March 17, 2018. All I can tell you for sure is that if you are indeed in the port of Colon for the day, you absolutely need to be on a private tour or at least with a private, pre-arranged driver. It is not a town where you want to be wandering around on your own or without a plan. The roads were nearly impassible with huge pot holes and washed out areas. I cannot believe they actually use this port for everyday tourists in its current condition.

Did you notice the extensive construction underway adjacent to the embarkation buildings?

They are building one of those "wonderful", sparkling, duty free facilities selling booze, tobacco and perfume with high gloss marble floors, glitzy wall coverings and bright lights. I estimate it will be done by next winter. We can hardly wait (to avoid it)!!!