Over packing.

chromered7

We have cruised many times and I always take additional items “just in case” you need them . When I unpack after a cruise there are some clothes I discover that I have never worn. So this got me thinking how many people over pack or is it just me?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don’t call it overpacking. I take things I potentially might wear. I don’t necessary need to wear them all.

As long as my clothes fit in normal sized bag it is fine.

I always take more than I need. You might have a cool day that you need something a little warmer or it may be strappy tops all the way. I take enough clothes to cover all eventualities. Also for the evenings I take extra as depending on how I feel I might wear a cocktail dress or trousers and top. Each time I vow to cut down but never do.

I always take more than I need. You might have a cool day that you need something a little warmer or it may be strappy tops all the way. I take enough clothes to cover all eventualities. Also for the evenings I take extra as depending on how I feel I might wear a cocktail dress or trousers and top. Each time I vow to cut down but never do.

Agree 100 %. I probably will always be an over packer, I always consider it a guilty pleasure!

Our packing has become so much more complex since we retired and could add additional weeks pre and/or post cruise.

It isn’t clothes that is an issue it is the other stuff! As we often enjoy self catering as a real contrast to the cruise I find I am packing salt and pepper, a few tea bags and numerous other things I don’t want to buy in big packets. Then there is a corkscrew (just in case the villa one is rubbish)....my dress shoes and posh frocks are no problem!

........It isn’t clothes that is an issue it is the other stuff! .......!
One thing that bugs me is all the "just in case" other stuff we pack for each cruise -- the band aids and cough medicine and various types of potions and lotions and pills and pain relievers for all the possible things that might occur from bug bites to diarrhea to a loose crown.

We use very little of it on any cruise, if any at all, and end up re-packing it to bring back home, where we end up tossing a lot of it after it passes its expiration date, and then repurchasing it again.

It would be nice if there was some kind of communal stash of all that stuff somewhere on the ship so that we would not all need to keep carrying duplicates of the same stuff back and forth for each cruise, but I have no idea of how such a setup might work, or be kept sanitary, or if it would even be legal.

I have stopped bringing stuff that I know they regularly carry on the ship, such as hydrocortisone cream and Nyquil.

But it would be just my luck that if I should ever need it, that will be the time when they will be out of it.

One thing that bugs me is all the "just in case" other stuff we pack for each cruise -- the band aids and cough medicine and various types of potions and lotions and pills and pain relievers for all the possible things that might occur from bug bites to diarrhea to a loose crown.

.....and then there is the mossie repellent, the pack of cards, the bottle opener, the $1 ponchos, the sewing kit, the tiny pen knife with the screwdriver thing and of course the duck tape!

We are lucky to live near enough to drive to our embarkation port:). That means no limit on luggage :eek:

We do over-pack, but much of this is to prepare for all eventualities. The weather in northern Europe is always unpredictable, so I know we will always have a few days, at least, where I need to be prepared for torrential downpours, blazing heat, or anything in between.

So, the things I don't wear on one cruise (maybe sundress and hat) could be exactly the things I will need on the next one.

That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it! ;)

While we have improved over the years, we also overpack-we do fly. But I enjoy the freedom of choice and if I have to pay for an extra piece of luggage I do and consider it money well spent. Yes, I do bring too much for the what if moments, but probably will continue to do so.

We use very little of it on any cruise, if any at all, and end up re-packing it to bring back home, where we end up tossing a lot of it after it passes its expiration date, and then repurchasing it again.

It would be nice if there was some kind of communal stash of all that stuff somewhere on the ship so that we would not all need to keep carrying duplicates of the same stuff back and forth for each cruise, but I have no idea of how such a setup might work, or be kept sanitary, or if it would even be legal.

I have stopped bringing stuff that I know they regularly carry on the ship, such as hydrocortisone cream and Nyquil.

But it would be just my luck that if I should ever need it, that will be the time when they will be out of it.

This exactly. It used to be adult and kid strength meds for all eventualities. Thankfully they are all able to take what we take. Now we also have teens with makeup and skin care routines with a billion bottles of this and that. I think we’ll need a whole case just for the odds and ends and toiletries!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our packing has become so much more complex since we retired and could add additional weeks pre and/or post cruise.

It isn’t clothes that is an issue it is the other stuff! As we often enjoy self catering as a real contrast to the cruise I find I am packing salt and pepper, a few tea bags and numerous other things I don’t want to buy in big packets. Then there is a corkscrew (just in case the villa one is rubbish)....my dress shoes and posh frocks are no problem!

Do you use your car for travel?

We had somewhat big trip last Christmas/NY.

Stayed 3 days in Georgia and Florida, then two cruises. We left some clothes in our car to use for our second cruise.

For over thirty years, we have travelled with carry on ONLY for outbound portion of trips that sometimes exceeded one month.

and I still sometimes return home with clothes I never wore, Dayquil geltabs untouched, bandaids ready to go on the next trip, etc.

We only pack light when doing land vacations that include a lot of travel to different locations. We easily managed a month in Europe and 3 weeks in NZ with just carry on bags.

But AI resorts and cruises fall into a whole different category for us. These only require a limited number of transfers, unpacking and packing, even with pre and post stays. And the air tickets we book always have checked bags included. So we tend to pack heavier for those. Complicating matters is that we now take much longer cruises than we used to, often on ships that don't have self laundry. So even though we no longer pack all those formal gowns and tuxes, we've progressed from one 28" suitcase each to 3 between the 2 of us.

And yes, all of those non essentials do take up room. But not that much. Our mini pharmacy, sewing kit, repair kit, etc all fit into one toiletry bag. I don't want to trust that the ship's store will have what I need, or waste my one port day running around some place like Da Nang trying to find an antihistamine.

I know that many people are happy to get by with the limits imposed by carry on only. But there is no right or wrong. Only what works for you. Although I did look sideways at one couple I saw with 4 huge suitcases, 2 carry on size, plus their personal items - for a one week cruise.

Do you use your car for travel?

We had somewhat big trip last Christmas/NY.

Stayed 3 days in Georgia and Florida, then two cruises. We left some clothes in our car to use for our second cruise.

We are from the U.K. and have enjoyed add on adventures everywhere from Florida (frequently) to touring Washington State (add on to Alaska cruise) to Sydney, Venice and Barcelona to name just a few!

We see our packing issues as a fun rather than challenging issue.

The one time we did drive and enjoy a pre-cruise stay in the New Forest it was delightful to leave a bag of oddments in the car! Unfortunately, however, a rare option for us although we have before now left luggage/hold-all’s in hotels we are returning to post cruise...

I tend to bring a lot of 'just in case' items, but many of them were added through the years when I needed them and didn't have them. For example, didn't worry too much about bringing a lot of OTC medicine when we were cruising to Alaska. A US port - should be able to find whatever I need, right? Wrong. We all came down with bad colds and when I went ashore to try to find cold medicine the one drug store in town (actually part of a grocery store) was completely sold out of all their cold medicines. The ship supply was out as well (a lot of colds onboard). Just one example of why I bring a lot of 'just in case'.

Truly varies.

When flying SWA I tend to overpack because I can...

But one cruise we had a tight connection & arrived about 1PM in FLL & I was paranoid if we had to wait for luggage if we were running late...SO we did a 7 day cruise with just a carry on & backpack each (and STILL had some unworn clothes!!!)

One thing I figured out quickly is that we change clothes A LOT, so clothing can be worn more than once.

1--breakfast at buffet/beach port days-- 2 pair black shorts & 3 tees cover this

2--pool/beach--1 swimsuit & cover up. I never need more than one. If damp, dries QUICKLY in the sun

3--afternoon after pool time--1 pair casual black capris & 3 tops

(one pair flip flops covers #1-3)

4--evening--I have done this with 2 pair dressy black capris & 7 dressy tops. I might trade some tops for dresses. Can vary. This is where I like MORE--I like a different pair of shoes each night! I rarely get this dressed up at home for nights out so I ENJOY it!

We have cruised many times and I always take additional items “just in case” you need them . When I unpack after a cruise there are some clothes I discover that I have never worn. So this got me thinking how many people over pack or is it just me?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Done over 60 cruises and still over pack but have merged a little

I plan my packing around what I expect to do on a trip (including a cruise) and factor in when and where I will do laundry.

Since we are elite, we get the free bag of laundry. Still, we usually do a land trip prior to a cruise or after a cruise. For example, if we are doing a two week land trip, then a two week cruise, I would need to plan to do laundry on land once prior to the cruise. I would likely take four pairs of trousers and shorts, depending on the time of the year. I generally wear trousers for two or three days. Two days if the weather is hot and I perspire a bit, three if not. Therefore, I can get by for nine days wearing three trousers and probably three or four shirts. Of course, underwear and socks are to be counted. I generally take a pair of waling shoes, wear another pair and take a pair of hard sole shoes (usually loafers), so I take about 10 pairs of white socks and three pairs of black socks(for formal nights). Also, pajamas, a few t-shirts and workout shorts for the gym as well as swim suit. I can always get this in one standard sized airline suitcase. I don't carry a carryon.

If we do Celebrity, we usually do two 7 day back to backs using a carry on for each of us. STATUS ALERT!! We are Elite Plus so we each get two bags of laundry and two free pressings per cruise. Since the advent of Evening Chic and Modern Luxury, we don't bring any of our good clothes, that according to some, can be damaged from laundering although we have never had it happen to us. All our toilet items are travel size so they go in the bag too. Since we have to fly, it saves us the cost of a piece of checked luggage, about $25 each way and the angst of worrying if it's going to make it or not.

So back to the subject, yeas there are occasions where we don't use everything at least once.

We over pack, no doubt. But, we drive to the port and want clean clothes without doing laundry. Other than underwear and socks, I don't trust Celebrity to wash any of our clothes. Heck, even on non cruise trips we usually over pack.

I can't see how people use just a carry on (although we did for a safari). We have no desire to do laundry while on vacation unless we absolutely have to. I like clean clothes and are willing to take a little more baggage to ensure it. And yea, I wear stuff more than once, but once you sweat in a shirt - it's done.

enjoy