Tavel irons or steamers?

GetMeToTheSpa

I was sent to the naughty room over a travel steamer after boarding the solstice earlier this year - but they fully discussed it amongst themselves and decided it was okay for me to have it and didn’t confiscate. I was kind of surprised. They said since it just boils water essentially it was fine.

I was sent to the naughty room over a travel steamer after boarding the solstice earlier this year - but they fully discussed it amongst themselves and decided it was okay for me to have it and didn’t confiscate. I was kind of surprised. They said since it just boils water essentially it was fine.

Very surprised with this as it is clearly a prohibited item. From the Celebrity website regarding items not permitted to be brought on board:

Q.What items are prohibited on board?

A.Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, steamers, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.

I always put the bottom half of the steamer in one suitcase and the top half in another and in 60 some cruise have never had it confiscated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So if it's for your convenience, rules are OK to be broken as long as you get away with it? You realize this particular rule is a fire hazard issue (see my post #5) - but I guess that doesn't matter...:rolleyes:

Neither travel irons nor steamers are authorized. If we get wrinkles we hang the offending item in the bathroom when we’re taking our showers & they fall out. Pressing isn’t very expensive on board & dry cleaning is wonderful. Face it, we’re all in the same “boat” & I surely don’t want to have a fire on board

So if it's for your convenience, rules are OK to be broken as long as you get away with it? You realize this particular rule is a fire hazard issue (see my post #5) - but I guess that doesn't matter...:rolleyes:

Some people think they are special.:rolleyes:

Edited by davekathy

I always put the bottom half of the steamer in one suitcase and the top half in another and in 60 some cruise have never had it confiscated.

You must be really proud of yourself for "getting away" with breaking the rules. Thank you for sharing. We're very impressed with your behaviour on no less than 60 cruises!!!!

I think we all accept steamers and irons are commonly used at home and we think they are therefore safe -and very handy.

They Are a fire hazard. Just as open flames (candles, cigs, etc) are but we accept their general use.

And a fire aboard ship? Picture being s building on fire and you can’t escape and only those on board can fight the fire. No help from ‘outside’. I lost more shipmates from peacetime fires than anything else.

So yes we all want to look nice and neat. But please rethink sneaking these things on. Concentrate on sneaking on Booze....them you won’t care if you have a wrinkle or so.

Den

I think we all accept steamers and irons are commonly used at home and we think they are therefore safe -and very handy.

They Are a fire hazard. Just as open flames (candles, cigs, etc) are but we accept their general use.

And a fire aboard ship? Picture being s building on fire and you can’t escape and only those on board can fight the fire. No help from ‘outside’. I lost more shipmates from peacetime fires than anything else.

So yes we all want to look nice and neat. But please rethink sneaking these things on. Concentrate on sneaking on Booze....them you won’t care if you have a wrinkle or so.

Den

Perfectly said.....thank you

I know the policy, I’m just letting you know what ships security told me and that they said it was totally fine and handed it back to me with a smile.

Wasn't questioning your knowledge of the policy. (Although come to think of it why did you have it with you if you know the policy? I'll assume you weren't aware of it at the time :)). But I digress. What I was questioning was ship's security's actions in light of that policy. They need some training perhaps.

I know the policy, I’m just letting you know what ships security told me and that they said it was totally fine and handed it back to me with a smile.

Been saying it for years Celebrity's policies on many things are "consistently inconsistent."

Wasn't questioning your knowledge of the policy. (Although come to think of it why did you have it with you if you know the policy? I'll assume you weren't aware of it at the time :)). But I digress. What I was questioning was ship's security's actions in light of that policy. They need some training perhaps.

Yes I was well aware of the policy. We were traveling for 2 weeks after our cruise and I didn’t think I should have to rent a locker in Sydney to store my travel steamer. Trust this satisfies your curiosity or the point you were trying to make. Geez.

I never understood why travel steamers are not allowed, but curling irons are. If anything, they are more likely to be accidentally left on, or left to cool inadvertently left next to or on something flammable. But anyway...………...since they are allowed, many people apparently bring those along to use as little mini irons.

Personally I have long ceased to worry about a few wrinkles here or there. Major wrinkles get handled by steaming in the bathroom for a few minutes, or a good attack of Wrinkle Release spray. Minor wrinkles get worn and if anyone doesn't like it they can look the other way (another pleasure of older age - I don't worry what snobby other people think). If that isn't enough for anyone, they can always send out items to be pressed.

Yes I was well aware of the policy. We were traveling for 2 weeks after our cruise and I didn’t think I should have to rent a locker in Sydney to store my travel steamer. Trust this satisfies your curiosity or the point you were trying to make. Geez.

Sorry - I was just teasing with you - did not mean to offend. (Hence the smiley face). Perhaps if you had explained that originally I would have understood. You only said they let you keep it. Again, no offence intended.

And again, my original point was not with you but with the ships' security decision. In your situation I would have brought it no board as well but I guess would have expected them to hold it for me until departure.

My suspicion is that it wasn't the ship's security who made that call. In most ports, the shoreside security staff work for the port, not the cruise line. They may check passengers in for many cruise lines, each with their own requirements. But even if it was Celebrity personnel, sometimes ad hoc decisions are made which don't match the regulations.

I never understood why travel steamers are not allowed, but curling irons are. If anything, they are more likely to be accidentally left on, or left to cool inadvertently left next to or on something flammable. But anyway...………...since they are allowed, many people apparently bring those along to use as little mini irons.

Personally I have long ceased to worry about a few wrinkles here or there. Major wrinkles get handled by steaming in the bathroom for a few minutes, or a good attack of Wrinkle Release spray. Minor wrinkles get worn and if anyone doesn't like it they can look the other way (another pleasure of older age - I don't worry what snobby other people think). If that isn't enough for anyone, they can always send out items to be pressed.

Some of the reason is not so much fire as electrical load. Imagine if everyone put on their irons, steamers, curling irons, hair dryers, etc during the same hour or so before dinner. A couple years ago someone wrote a post on this board showing electrical diagrams and loads on cruise ships. Wish I could find that post it was really interesting.