Tip at the Start of a Cruise

Bob++

We are going on a 14-night cruise and my DD, SIL and their baby are in the next cabin. I am minded to tip the attendant on day one in recognition of the extra work having a baby in the cabin. My question is - how much is reasonable? Grats are prepaid so this would be over and above.

I'm sure others will advise on the amount and have different views, but personally I would wait until the end and see how much you think he/she has done over and beyond. I think some rooms are 'more work' for the attendant not just because of a baby but generally due to how messy/demanding some guests can be.

The other thing I'd think about whether It would be hard if you weren't happy to raise any problems as you'd already pre-tipped. I'd be worried I'd get the amount wrong and it would work against me and he/she wouldn't try any harder. But that's probably as I'm not use to pre-tipping, I'd always tip additional based on what the service has been like throughout the cruise.

Sorry probably not much help, but just another view.

Why not mix both...

Talk to the stateroom attendant and give him a small amount as a token for his extra work. He/she will probably appreciate it...

At the end of the cruise you will see how satisfied you are and you can still decide if and how much tip it is worth to you.

Tipping is a very personal thing, therefore my perception is likely to be different to others, but the way I view it is:

Tip after service = ‘Thank you for working hard’

Tip before service = ‘I expect you to work hard’.

Similar in some ways, but very different in others.

For what it’s worth, I’m another who would wait until the end.

Why not mix both...

Talk to the stateroom attendant and give him a small amount as a token for his extra work. He/she will probably appreciate it...

At the end of the cruise you will see how satisfied you are and you can still decide if and how much tip it is worth to you.

I agree with this sentiment, as this is what I do, I provide a pre-tip upfront because I know how demanding we may be during the sailing and if the Room Attendant performed and then some, then I tip more at the end. That amount is usually $25.00 at the beginning.

However, I do not have any issue with complaining to the attendant or housekeeping if issues arise during the sailing.

bon voyage

So Bo, just how demanding are you?

Very easy going. I have great admiration for people who do these jobs and always try to understand their problems. Normally I wouldn't even consider tipping in advance, and only after if the service was exceptional, but this time we have an unknown quantity.

The cabin next door will be occupied by first-time cruisers and their 18-month-old baby (also a first timer:)) I suspect that she will create more work and just wondered if it would be a good idea to let the steward know that we do appreciate that.

We always leave the prepaid grats in place and we also leave extra in cash at the end of the cruise. We also keep our cabin as neat and tidy and clean as we possibly can. We make sure the bathroom is clean and our personal items put away. We don't want our steward to spend a lot of their precious time picking up after us before they can do their chores. We've never given a cash tip at the beginning of the cruise, but to each their own.

I expect them to work hard without pretipping.

If they don't I try to resolve it without bribing.

I do give extra tip in the end if service warrants.

$20-50.

If you look up TIP and gratuity they are and mean different things

Tip is at the beginning to basically to insure their services and some resent it because they feel that they are being bought and will be expected to do a whole lot of extra work, and some may actually dodge you because they know that you will be demanding more.

Gratuity is exactly what the root word is greatful. It is for the service you were given and a way of showing your appreciation. The best way is to do this is after the service was given, such as they had to do a extra clean up because of a mishap or did something special that you requested, and also at the end of the cruise if you also feel that they were deserving of more.

What one would you rather receive?

I have never “tipped” upfront and have always been given great service.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We are going on a 14-night cruise and my DD, SIL and their baby are in the next cabin. I am minded to tip the attendant on day one in recognition of the extra work having a baby in the cabin. My question is - how much is reasonable? Grats are prepaid so this would be over and above.

I generally cruise solo, and while that almost always means getting charged "double" for my room, when it comes to pre-paid gratuities, I'm only charged for 1 person. I've always felt this is a bit "mean-spirited" on the part of Celebrity because they're looking after their bottom line while allowing a butler and steward to potentially lose out on half the usual pre-paid grat. I've taken to using that as my "excuse" to offer both a little cash on day one, ($50 &$25). In some ways, this puts us on the same side of the issue--getting me great service and "correcting" their tip equity.

While I feel certain that you'll receive terrific service regardless of your decision, it seems to me that having a "baby on board" offers you the same excuse to share a little up front if you're so inclined. That you're doing "for" your DD & SIL seems to provide a similar "we're on the same side of this" with your steward, and that never hurts.

Have a great trip!

I think you mean ensure. Never heard of insuring service.

Thanks for the correction. Just a mistake.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/how-to-use-insure-vs-ensure-vs-assure

In fact looking up the differences I think that I shouldn’t have even answered the question by the OP since most on here are probably a cynic about what is the proper use of any word.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thanks for the correction. Just a mistake.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/how-to-use-insure-vs-ensure-vs-assure

In fact looking up the differences I think that I shouldn’t have even answered the question by the OP since most on here are probably a cynic about what is the proper use of any word.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

No cynic here...always appreciative of the perspectives shared on CC. You just learn to weed through the haters...

CM

So Bo, just how demanding are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I prefer the cabin be cleaned by 9.30a each day, ice bucket freshly filled by 4.30p each day a spot clean up between 6p - 7.30p each day... along with fresh towels 2x daily as I used them at least that much.

Do I get this at home, of course not, do I expect this while on vacation, of course so.

bon voyage

I prefer the cabin be cleaned by 9.30a each day, ice bucket freshly filled by 4.30p each day a spot clean up between 6p - 7.30p each day... along with fresh towels 2x daily as I used them at least that much.

Do I get this at home, of course not, do I expect this while on vacation, of course so.

bon voyage

Towels twice daily? Seems a bit much to me...carry on.

Tipping is done at the END of the cruise, on the last evening. They expect their tips then. Tipping before service is provided feels like a "bribe".

Just be nice to your attendant and tip additionally on the last evening. Don't forget how much you've already tipped per person!!

bon voyage

And the good news is, that most times that’s exactly what happens! Life is good! Oddly enough, we pre tipped our room steward once in all of our cruises, & received the worst service ever! (She really hated her job!) We now just tip extra at the end.

Great convo - thanks OP.

Not having cruised as often as many here I often wondered what protocol many seasoned cruisers follow regarding gratuities. Having spent many years in the service industry I feel that tipping should be a reflection of service received so the end of the cruise seemed to make the most sense to me but cruising with an international service team made me wonder if there was a different *etiquette* regarding tipping to follow.

We've found that most of the ship's crew works very hard and genuinely aims to please so we almost always tip but always at the end of the trip - guess we'll stick to that policy...

(Also good to know that I need to keep my excessive towel usage to myself OR risk disappointing the CC towel judge...;p)

On the first day I usually ask the room steward if I can have one those waffle foam rubber things on top of my mattress because I have such a tricky back. I also ask if they would put my suitcases under the bed (I'm an old lady and just can't get down there) I then give them $20 because I know I'm asking them to remake my bed after they just made it. I also tip at the end if I have gotten excellent service (and I usually do) On one cruise I never opened my own door, he saw me coming and ran ahead and opened it for me:)