Aqua Class getting out of sight!

NantahalaCruiser

We always cruise in AQ class...but at a certain price point it may be a better value to skip AQ class, buy a dining package and hope to purchase a Persian Garden pass if that's an AQ class perk you would miss

We have 2 EDGE cruises booked...one in AQ class with Infinite balcony, . After we booked that AQ class prices went "up, up, up", so for the second cruise we will try a Sunset Veranda with the 4 mdr system. We'll miss BLU and will try for the Persian Garden Pass...may not be easy to get one!

Pretty soon we may be priced out of cruising on X or may no longer feel the price point is a good value!

As long as folks will pay the price, Celebrity (and others) will continue to raise their price. It's called inflation

it's not inflation. It's the simple economics of supply and demand. It's capitalism. It's making a profit to benefit the shareholders. ALL those are good business practice and are the goal of a for profit business enterprise.

Inflation IS creeping up, albeit very slowly. The cabin pricing for 2018 was set in, what, 2015-6, when inflation was relatively flat at historical lows.

Although we enjoy sailing in Aqua class, the benefit we particularly value is Blu. At that rate, we'd opt for the verandah and buy a dining package. We don't utilize the Persian Gardens much and wouldn't miss it. We'd miss Blu the most for breakfast. Since we cruise often just the two of us, eating in the OVC we access the buffet one at a time, (the other holding a table) and therefore end up eating alone while the other gathers their breakfast. It's lovely to sit down together in Blu and be served, but not worth that price differential! We don't tend to care for breakfast in the MDR.

We have always sailed in AQ u til a few years ago. We had the Silhouette booked in AQ but 1A cabins were available at $90/night pp less. We couldn’t justify paying that much more for AQ. Points aren’t a issue as we wou t ever get past Elite Plus and we figured we could get a dining pack for the extra.

We had breakfast every day in the MDR and found the the menu was better and the service just as good. They came around with the same morning type pastries and juices.

We also found that the MDR in the evening was very good and never did go to a specialty restaurant.

We had select dining for the evening and always had a table for 2 at breakfast and dinner. It was our first time in the MDR so it was all new to us and we were also getting bored with Blu.

We really didn’t miss the shower or Persian Gardens. The footstool have been nice but we improvised.

As to the prices we have a few booked into 2020 and are seriously thinking those may be our last. There are a lot of land trips that we are considering and would like to do.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We love Aqua but due to the very high cost of those cabins for Med cruises, we go for a regular balcony. We have a b2b booked for January 2019 but no more after that. We usually have about 3 booked in advance, but with the way the prices have gone up, I have held back and we plan on doing some land trips. We may at last get the chance to go back to those places we have said 'we must return for a longer stay'.

Wow! On my 12-N 9/6/19 Reflection cruise, an A1 cabin (A2 loyalty fare) is now $1600 pp greater than a 1A cabin (1B loyalty fare.)

I have always enjoyed Blu; but is it really worth an additional $133.33 pp per night?

We thought about booking the same cruise we did AQ on the Summit this year to Bermuda (our fourth) for next year. Same exact time around $800 more for the week. I think we'll wait. We go AQ or not at all.

Sent from my RCT6S03W12 using Forums mobile app

We have long thought that Aqua Class is worth no more than $25 per person/day more than a regular balcony (which is often in a better location). Why do we say this? Because to us, the only advantage to AQ is Blu. And we can generally buy a dining package that covers most nights (we like to be in the MDR on the Chic Nights) for about $25 per person/day when purchased during a 20% Off sale. Last year we did this on the Reflection. Rather then dining in Blu we dined mostly in Murano with a few meals in Qsine and the Lawn. All those venues are must better than Blu. The other issue with Aqua on the Solstice Class ships is that the location of the cabins is nothing great. Many of us do not like living in the shadow of the big pool-deck overhang and we do not like to ever book cabins under a pool deck (nothing like moving loungers early in the morning to start the day). We actually prefer a balcony a couple of decks below.

Hank

it's not inflation. It's the simple economics of supply and demand. It's capitalism. It's making a profit to benefit the shareholders. ALL those are good business practice and are the goal of a for profit business enterprise.

Inflation IS creeping up, albeit very slowly. The cabin pricing for 2018 was set in, what, 2015-6, when inflation was relatively flat at historical lows.

I agree that it is being driven by supply and demand, rather than inflation; and I have no problem with Celebrity's business practice and profit maximization.

I am just surprised that there is such a demand for Aqua/Blu at a $133 cost per night differential that is over 5 times the nightly cost of a specialty restaurant package.

I agree that it is being driven by supply and demand, rather than inflation; and I have no problem with Celebrity's business practice and profit maximization.

I am just surprised that there is such a demand for Aqua/Blu at a $133 cost per night differential that is over 5 times the nightly cost of a specialty restaurant package.

Secretly they let you all the lick the cuterly if you show up beforehand

It’s not being driven up by supply and demand until you see statistics that show people paying that. Right now it’s Celebrity floating a silly price to see if it will stick.

Agree. We just got off 12 nights in AQ on the Eclipse. When we booked AQ was quite high, higher than we were willing to pay. We booked it to get the get the cabin we wanted knowing that if the prices didn’t drop before final payment we would move down to a veranda or cancel. We got 5 price drops and Totaling $1500 pp. AQ started selling and by sailing the price for AQ ; which sold out, was less than the original price but about $800pp more than we ended up paying.

As all cost of all cabin/suites are going up. You will have guest that feel the costs are to high. Suite guest might book more Aqua Class and Aqua Class might be booking concierge etc, etc. Some people will pay what ever the cost is. Other will have to justify the cost to themselves.

I love capitalism. I also purchase based on perceived value and it is amazing to see so many people paying the prices cruise lines are asking and getting. I don't see the increase in value and I may be somewhat jaded by knowledge of past pricing which I did think was a good value and sailed frequently.

You are correct it is supply and demand, not inflation. Cruise lines will use their algorithms till there is push back from the sailing public on the price increases. We are already pushing back, but being pushed aside too ,:rolleyes:, as others are very willing to pay the current fares.

We have always sailed in AQ u til a few years ago. We had the Silhouette booked in AQ but 1A cabins were available at $90/night pp less. We couldn’t justify paying that much more for AQ. Points aren’t a issue as we wou t ever get past Elite Plus and we figured we could get a dining pack for the extra.

We had breakfast every day in the MDR and found the the menu was better and the service just as good. They came around with the same morning type pastries and juices.

We also found that the MDR in the evening was very good and never did go to a specialty restaurant.

We had select dining for the evening and always had a table for 2 at breakfast and dinner. It was our first time in the MDR so it was all new to us and we were also getting bored with Blu.

We really didn’t miss the shower or Persian Gardens. The footstool have been nice but we improvised.

As to the prices we have a few booked into 2020 and are seriously thinking those may be our last. There are a lot of land trips that we are considering and would like to do.

Happy cruising ����������

We are a little late to the AQ party and just sailed in AQ this past January. It was our first, last and only time we will sail in AQ, I think!?

We gave BLU a 5 on a scale of 10 on our sailing based on our tastes. The menu selection did not impress us. Service was great. We had to force ourselves to use the limited area of Persian Gardens. We did like it, but forgot to use it most days. I think we used it 3 out of 12 days.

Do not remember the balance of AQ benefits for the price difference.

We actually ate 4 dinners outside of BLU and think I would try eating in speciality restaurants, assuming the $$$ works, vs paying for AQ.

We have already over the last 5-6 years done a lot more land based trips and have 3 more planned over the next 8 months vs sailing. Maybe for us, a last minute deal cruise could work if they are out there and a drive to port of call.

Reading this thread reminds me that we all have different tastes and priorities. For us, we will not book a Solstice class ship unless we can book AQ.

After two cruises on Eclipse, one in a 1A and one in AQ, we were so much more satisfied with AQ. On our first cruise in 1A, we loved our large balcony but definitely did not love dinner in the MDR. Even though the food was fine, it was crowded and very noisy. I hated the Oceanview Café for breakfast. It was crowded and tables were scarce, and it seemed like everyone was running around and cutting in front of me until I just didn't want to eat there any longer. Room service came cold and unappetizing. We tried the Elite breakfast in Tuscan Grille, but my other half wasn't happy with the limited choices.

On our second cruise in AQ, I loved being able to eat breakfast in Blu. It wasn't crowded, and the service was excellent, and I found myself in a much better frame of mind having a leisurely breakfast in a quiet setting which was more conducive to the experience I want on vacation. Let's face it.....I eat fruit and cereal or an omelet for breakfast, so it's just a question of surroundings, and Blu wins hands down. As far as dinner goes, I was fine with the choices available. I've learned I'm less concerned with the menu and more concerned with the service and ambiance of the dining room.

Our next cruise on Reflection is an 11-day in an A1, and we got in on a group booking with the classic drinks package, gratuities, and $300 cabin credit, so we're satisfied. We always calculate our cruises on a cost per day, and this one meets our criteria.

Everyone has to decide what is important to them and what will impact their cruise experience. If we check on a cruise and the AQ rate seems excessive, we pass. There are many other choices available.

Reading this thread reminds me that we all have different tastes and priorities. For us, we will not book a Solstice class ship unless we can book AQ.

After two cruises on Eclipse, one in a 1A and one in AQ, we were so much more satisfied with AQ. On our first cruise in 1A, we loved our large balcony but definitely did not love dinner in the MDR. Even though the food was fine, it was crowded and very noisy. I hated the Oceanview Café for breakfast. It was crowded and tables were scarce, and it seemed like everyone was running around and cutting in front of me until I just didn't want to eat there any longer. Room service came cold and unappetizing. We tried the Elite breakfast in Tuscan Grille, but my other half wasn't happy with the limited choices.

On our second cruise in AQ, I loved being able to eat breakfast in Blu. It wasn't crowded, and the service was excellent, and I found myself in a much better frame of mind having a leisurely breakfast in a quiet setting which was more conducive to the experience I want on vacation. Let's face it.....I eat fruit and cereal or an omelet for breakfast, so it's just a question of surroundings, and Blu wins hands down. As far as dinner goes, I was fine with the choices available. I've learned I'm less concerned with the menu and more concerned with the service and ambiance of the dining room.

Our next cruise on Reflection is an 11-day in an A1, and we got in on a group booking with the classic drinks package, gratuities, and $300 cabin credit, so we're satisfied. We always calculate our cruises on a cost per day, and this one meets our criteria.

Everyone has to decide what is important to them and what will impact their cruise experience. If we check on a cruise and the AQ rate seems excessive, we pass. There are many other choices available.

You’re correct: different horses for different courses. I don’t like the closeness of the tables in Blu as I prefer my personal space and I also don’t like the positions of most of the Aqua cabins (it was a brilliant marketing tactic by whoever thought it up at X - undesirable cabin locations so provide a separate restaurant/extras and voila)! They’ve done the same with the new S3 suites on Edge as it was such a success with Aqua. Some prefer paying less for a balcony and eating in specialty restaurants instead of the MDR. So, yes, each individual has different needs and should reserve accordingly to provide their ideal cruise vacation ;).

We have long thought that Aqua Class is worth no more than $25 per person/day more than a regular balcony (which is often in a better location). Why do we say this? Because to us, the only advantage to AQ is Blu. And we can generally buy a dining package that covers most nights (we like to be in the MDR on the Chic Nights) for about $25 per person/day when purchased during a 20% Off sale. Last year we did this on the Reflection. Rather then dining in Blu we dined mostly in Murano with a few meals in Qsine and the Lawn. All those venues are must better than Blu. The other issue with Aqua on the Solstice Class ships is that the location of the cabins is nothing great. Many of us do not like living in the shadow of the big pool-deck overhang and we do not like to ever book cabins under a pool deck (nothing like moving loungers early in the morning to start the day). We actually prefer a balcony a couple of decks below.

Hank

Exactly how we value it. We love Blu, and the the Persian Garden wouldn't' be a bad upgrade crossing an ocean, but the value should never exceed specialty dining pricing. We like getting the extra loyalty points too, but luckily we've gotten very reasonable concierge class cabins on our next two cruises.

Supply and demand affect each cruise differently. Our repo back from Chile coming up in 2020, Aqua started out at $30 per day extra. I can't imagine paying $30 on one cruise, and then $130 on the next, for exactly the same perks.

Celebrity has gone wacko with their pricing. We booked a 7-night Alaska cruise for next Summer. They want $5885 for an AQ stateroom vs. $3412 for an Oceanview. I only paid $3000. They're nuts if they think I should pay an additional $2800 to eat in Blu. Hello!!!!!!! This is just a 7-night cruise. :rolleyes:

. Some prefer paying less for a balcony and eating in specialty restaurants instead of the MDR. So, yes, each individual has different needs and should reserve accordingly to provide their ideal cruise vacation ;).

And some prefer booking OV instead of balcony. In fact, we prefer inside, but to get the perks, we have to book the OV (and we even do GTY when it's available).

Celebrity has gone wacko with their pricing. We booked a 7-night Alaska cruise for next Summer. They want $5885 for an AQ stateroom vs. $3412 for an Oceanview. I only paid $3000. They're nuts if they think I should pay an additional $2800 to eat in Blu. Hello!!!!!!! This is just a 7-night cruise. :rolleyes:

It is better for them to think it than to know it if you would have booked AQ 🤪

We came across a similar situation between AQ and a S2. We can’t gjustify $170 extra/day pp for the suite on the Reflection.

Some people don’t do any research or analyzing of prices. Just think of how many will pay the extra money to move up to get two perks instead of one by paying $15 extra/ day on a 14 day cruise and then choose the $150 SBC

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅