Ferry Question from Kings Wharf

Luckyladyh

I am just beginning my research for our June cruise - running a bit behind. I keep reading about a ferry - is there a ferry option from Kings Wharf and where does it go? Why would one take it versus a cab? Just trying to understand.

Are there several cruise docks? Is it correct that Kings Wharf is in the Royal Naval Dockyard area? I am reading about things to do in that area as well. I assume you can get off the ship and just walk to the shops in the Dockyard area?

Last question - are the Blue Taxi's cars or vans? I need a van for four larger people. Thanks.

There is a ferry from the Dockyard (where Kings Wharf is) to both Hamilton and St George. Both ferry’s will save you significant money per person vs taking a taxi- the St George ferry will also save you quite a bit of time vs driving as it’s on the total opposite end of the island. Taxis are available but are expensive.

Kings Wharf is one of the docks in the Royal Naval Dockyard. We much prefer cruises to Bermuda that dock downtown in Hamilton as were not big fans of the location and how touristy the Dockyard is. There are a few ships that do it but the vast majority of them dock at the Dockyard.

Most taxis on the island are 7 passenger minivans- there are very few sedans so that’s never a problem getting a larger car. Blue flag taxis also tend to be larger minivans.

There are 2 ferries that depart from the Dockyard. One ferry goes to Hamilton and the other to St George's. The fare for either is $4.50p/p (token). Travel time is about 20 minutes to Hamilton, 45 minutes to St George's. To take a taxi from the Dockyard to Hamilton the fare for 1-4 paxs is $50 plus tip, to St George's $76 plus tip. To take a bus from the Dockyard to Hamilton, the fare is $4.50p/p (token), to St George's $4.50p/p (token) with a transfer in Hamilton. Travel time is about 55 minutes to Hamilton, 2 hours to St George's.

There are 2 cruise ship wharves at the Dockyard, Kings Wharf and the newer Heritage Wharf. You can leave the cruise ship and walk to anywhere in the Dockyard.

When you wrote Blue Taxi, are you referring to the Blue Flag Taxis? They can hold up to 7 paxs. To see pictures of a taxi, go to Google and search on Bermuda taxis then Images.

SBtS

Anthem in Oct. 2018 does it arrive early enough to catch the 9:30 ferry to ST. George.

Thanks

Dick

According to the 2018 Bermuda Cruise Ship Schedule, the Anthem makes 2 visits to Bermuda in October, 2018. Both times arriving at 7:30am. You will have enough time to catch the ferry.

SBtS

According to the 2018 Bermuda Cruise Ship Schedule, the Anthem makes 2 visits to Bermuda in October, 2018. Both times arriving at 7:30am. You will have enough time to catch the ferry.

SBtS

Thank You

Have done the ferry from The Dockyard to Hamilton. Be wary that there is a set schedule for the ferries and there is 1 1/2 hours between ferries and they do fill up so you may have to sit for the next one. Same thing with the return ferry. They are not the most efficient method for transportation.

Here is the ferry schedule ...

http://www.rccbermuda.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202018.pdf

Edited by Artemus

Have done the ferry from The Dockyard to Hamilton. Be wary that there is a set schedule for the ferries and there is 1 1/2 hours between ferries and they do fill up so you may have to sit for the next one. Same thing with the return ferry. They are not the most efficient method for transportation.

Here is the ferry schedule ...

http://www.rccbermuda.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202018.pdf

Very helpful - thanks.

• 2 months later...
If we dock at Kings Wharf, is the ferry close? If we can get off the ship at 9am, how feasible is it to get a token and get on the 9:30 ferry?

Carnival Horizon. Sept 15

I didn't ask all the questions. The question I didn't ask is what is your ferry destination? Hamilton or St George's? The Dockyard <> St George's ferry does not run on weekends. You could make the ferry to Hamilton but it would depend on when you got off the cruise ship and you did not stop to buy tokens.

The ferry accepts cash ($5 bill) or coins ($5 exact change). You could buy tokens at the Visitors Center at the Hamilton ferry docks.

It is about a ¼ mile from where you set foot on the dock to the ferry dock.

SBtS

Carnival Horizon. Sept 15

That is a Saturday which means the ferry to Hamilton runs at 9:45 am. The ferry to St. George’s does not run on Saturday. Your ship is scheduled to arrive at 9:00 which does not necessarily meant you would be able get off at 9:00. The ship has to be tied up and clear with the authorities. Whether you can make it depends on how long that takes. I would say with the ferry time being 9:45 you probably can. The tokens are sold at the Visitor Information Center in the cruise terminal but if it looks like time is short or a long line you can pay $5 cash at the ferry. The ferry dock is close, about a five minute walk.

That is a Saturday which means the ferry to Hamilton runs at 9:45 am. The ferry to St. George’s does not run on Saturday. Your ship is scheduled to arrive at 9:00 which does not necessarily meant you would be able get off at 9:00. The ship has to be tied up and clear with the authorities. Whether you can make it depends on how long that takes. I would say with the ferry time being 9:45 you probably can. The tokens are sold at the Visitor Information Center in the cruise terminal but if it looks like time is short or a long line you can pay $5 cash at the ferry. The ferry dock is close, about a five minute walk.

Thank you! I totally missed the weekend schedule - every 15 minutes will help ;)