Hartley Helmet Diving

Racer70

Considering trying "Hartley Helmet Diving" while in Bermuda in early October on the Grandeur of the Seas.

The cost is $99 per person. Seems to get good reviews from most people on other travel sites.

Anyone have first hand experiences with Hartley?

Edited by Racer70
Edit

We went in May 2010, so its been a while. We enjoyed the helmet dive but wouldn't do it again - once was enough. I would say that it's worth $99 pp for the experience.

The excursion was a boat trip to the dive spot, put on helmet and some weights and sink to the bottom. All you heard was bubbling, it would be great (and maybe they changed this in 8 years) if they put some kind of intercom in the helmet where you could hear the guide. The guide would do hand gestures that were most times obvious but sometimes not. Not once did we feel apprehensive with regard to our safety throughout the dive.

The guide takes you to a few spots where the different kinds of fish hang out. It was obvious that the fish have become accustomed to visitors, so much that they did 'tricks' for the treats that the guide gave to them.

In May, it seemed that there weren't any other fish around that weren't there specifically waiting for the helmet divers. Besides these little 'performances' there wasn't really much to look at. It was sort of boring to stand there and wait while the guide took pictures of the other divers with fish.

We just got back from Bermuda this week and did the helmet dive. It was on my husband's must do list. It was pretty cool. Worth the money. Seems like it went pretty fast you are under the water for about 30-40 minutes. The fish come there because the guy has been doing it so long they know he has food. The only downside is you have to wait for everyone to get a turn going down. The pick up is easy right off the dock near the cruise ship a short walk.

We just got back from Bermuda this week and did the helmet dive. It was on my husband's must do list. It was pretty cool. Worth the money. Seems like it went pretty fast you are under the water for about 30-40 minutes. The fish come there because the guy has been doing it so long they know he has food. The only downside is you have to wait for everyone to get a turn going down. The pick up is easy right off the dock near the cruise ship a short walk.

Was the boat crowded?

Was the boat crowded?

No not at all. It's a smaller fishing type boat. There were 9 of us all together, one family with 2 kids, another group with 1 adult and 2 teens. The bathroom is very small and the changing room only has a curtain (that blows around when the boat is moving :o). I changed in the bathroom, but like I said very tight, and a few steps leading down to it, more like a ladder. I would just make sure to wear my bathing suit there.

Considering trying "Hartley Helmet Diving" while in Bermuda in early October on the Grandeur of the Seas.

The cost is $99 per person. Seems to get good reviews from most people on other travel sites.

Anyone have first hand experiences with Hartley?

About 40 years ago I went on th e Hartley helmet tour with the father who was then the operator. Fast forward to last summer when I again took the tour with my now grown grandchildren. They loved it and I went to accompany them on the boat. I can’t recommend this. Enough. It is a great experience and reasonable in price. Go it will be a memory for a lifetime.

No not at all. It's a smaller fishing type boat. There were 9 of us all together, one family with 2 kids, another group with 1 adult and 2 teens. The bathroom is very small and the changing room only has a curtain (that blows around when the boat is moving :o). I changed in the bathroom, but like I said very tight, and a few steps leading down to it, more like a ladder. I would just make sure to wear my bathing suit there.

Thank you. We will definitely wear our bathing suits there!