Hebridean Princess

gaelsail

I don't know but I would not be surprised. She seems to start cruising in the Hebrides in march, which seems very early to me. The weather there can be very cold, wild, wet & windy in march & april. It seems like a lot of money to risk on the weather at that time of year & the prices do not seem much cheaper.

However, she is still top of my dream wish list!:)

Graham.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We were on Princess for the first cruise, the route was modified for the forecast bad weather, and also to allow for tender landings. We did have spectacular weather when we were ashore. The ship was nearly at capacity.

• 2 years later...

My wife and I were interested in sailing on this ship, as she was of Scottish descent. Unfortunately, the price for a double outside cabin was very steep.

Sadly, my wife passed away in 2005, and I had put thoughts of the ship out of my mind.

However, some time later I got a brochure in the mail from the cruise line. I discovered there are 2 rather inexpensive single inside cabins with facilities across the hallway. That was the only way I was able to afford this ship.

I did book the cruise, and if anyone is interested, I wrote a story with pictures about the cruise.

Please e-mail me at highlandpark@mindspring.com and I will be happy to send you a copy.

• 1 year later...

I am very happy to be going on Hebridean Princess March 27. Does anyone have some clever tips for making the most of this lovely cruise? I imagine warm socks and gloves will be needed! And a camera always ready for gorgeous scenery. :):)

I don't have tips, since my cruise isn't until November of 2012! But I will be waiting for tips from you after you disembark!

I would recommend reading SJGOCH's article about his trip on the Hebridean Princess back in 2006. It's good reading and I think you will enjoy it. Here's a link http://www.stevekathytravels.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/hebrideanprincess2006.pdf

Also, definitely read Cruisin' Simon's review! You can find it where the member reviews are.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying to your question, I have been away from the boards since before Christmas.

Thank you knotheadusc for your kind words regarding my review of a recent Hebridean Princess cruise.

I have been thinking about the question of tips to help you get the most out of your cruise. Given that the weather in Scotland in March can be, to say the least, changeable, then the best tip is to pack clothing that is suitable for wet, windy and maybe chilly conditions! Namley:

• Warm and water-proof clothing - good quality 3 in 1 jacket; thermal lined walking trousers; thermal gloves; thermal hat

• Comfortable walking boots - you can dry your boots on the radiator in the cabin if you get them wet during the day

• Plenty of walking socks

• Wellington boots (rubber-boots/gumboots in the US) are available for free hire on the Boat Deck of the ship behind the life jackets and are invaluable for hikes across very boggy conditions

• Walking stick (I use one of those extendable ones), but I seem to remember a stock of walking sticks for free use, next to the Purser's Office

• Binoculars to see the stunning scenery

• Camera to record the same

• Folding umberella. Again there should be free to use umberellas available next to the Purser's Office

• Take Formal wear for the two Gala evenings, if you have any Scottish ancestry, then the wearing of kilts is more than acceptable - in fact encouraged! I wish I had taken my father's kilt to wear!

• Not sure if they are available in the USA, but Ordnance Survey (O/S) Landranger Maps (1:50,000 scale) of the area you are visiting help you to plan and/or follow the walks you take. On our trip, often a passenger with such a map was nominated to lead the walk. The guide had one, but sometimes the walking parties split into several groups.

• Don’t worry if your destinations are altered at the last minute. The itinerary is more of a guideline. The Captain will miss out ports of call if the winds/waves/tides are too strong for landing. Passenger safety and comfort always come first. They always have a Plan B, which involves taking you to a different and interesting location. Missing out on somewhere you wanted to visit just gives you the opportunity to try and see it again on another Hebridean Princess cruise!

• Take every opportunity to meet and mingle with your fellow guests, with only 48 or 49 passengers it is easy to meet everyone. They tend to be well manner, well travelled individuals, with plenty of stories to tell.

• Ensure you have a good view for the address to the Haggis at the farewell Gala Dinner. It is one of the highlights of the cruise.

• At least once try and get one of the sofas in front of the fireplace in the Tiree Lounge. It is lovely to be sat in front of the fire (albeit electric) on a cold evening!

• Use the speedboat at least once on the holiday. It is used in addition to the two "Hardy" tender boats and also for trips around the mooring site. It goes flat out across the water, so expect to be bumped across waves and to get a little wet. It's a great experience.

• Remember afternoon tea is served in the Tiree Lounge every day: sandwiches, home made biscuits, home made scones with jam and cream as well as homemade cake. Just the thing to keep you going until dinner.

• None of the cabin doors have external locks, although there are internal locks to protect your privacy when you are in your cabin. There is a strong box or safe in every cabin, so lock it and keep the key with you. Not that anyone on Hebridean would dream of taking anything. When you leave your cabin, you just close your door and put a sign out for the housekeeping staff who will the service your room. We had our towels changed about 3 or 4 times each day!

• In some of the cabins, the air conditioning is a bit strange, you have to pull down a flap in the ceiling to make it work and to regulate the flow.

• You can hire (for free) a DVD player for your cabin to play CDs or DVDs (available to borrow from the Purser).

Well that's all I can think of now. I hope it helps.

Simon :)

• 7 months later...

Hebridean Princess March 27-April 3 2012

I went solo on the March 27, 2012 cruise: Hebridean Jewels and saw gorgeous islands, hauntingly beautiful.Weather was clear, sunshine everyday making photography excellent. We visited fully working castles, toured throughout even into the prison dungeons! Also breathtaking gardens. You really got the feel of the history and heritage of this dramatic region. Every possible thing you could ask for was available. Very deluxe cabin with large window. My table mates were extremely interesting and kind. I loved the ruggedness of the day time shore excursions; hopping into the tender and hiking on the picturesque islands. In the evening we dressed in cocktail or formal attire for dinner and afterwards in the lounge. Men looked so very handsome in suit and tie, tuxedoes, and full kilt attire. Each day was worth the price of the entire cruise.

Archived