Long delays at Amsterdam Schiphol airport?

My family and on will be on a British Isles cruise in a few weeks out of Amsterdam. We arranged van transportation from the cruise port to the airport at 10:00am with some other members of our roll call. The earliest flight of our group leaves at 2:00pm. However, one of the group members read somewhere that the delays at the airports were HOURS long and the person who posted about it said they only got to their gate about 20 minutes before their flight. We are now considering having the transportation pick us up earlier.

I know it takes about 1/2 hour to drive from the cruise port to the airport. Should we be concerned about potentially missing a 2:00pm flight if we arrive at the airport at 10:30-11:00?

Any advice and input would be greatly appreciated!

In May2017 the lines were very long and people were advised to come more than 3 hours in advance. Since then the airport has done a lot of improvements especially at the security lines. At this moment 3 hours should be plenty of time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I personally would rather be at the airport earlier they have shops restaurants to spend the time waiting there than stuck at the port stressing out

In Amsterdam I believe you clear security at the gate so you want to be near the gate about 1 hr prior to the flight

someone will correct me if wrong

I hope the lines are not too long we have a noon flight :(

In Amsterdam I believe you clear security at the gate so you want to be near the gate about 1 hr prior to the flight

someone will correct me if wrong

You’re wrong [emoji846] Schipol moved to a centralised security operation three years ago.

Certain US flights still have airside pre-departure checks, too.

You’re wrong [emoji846] Schipol moved to a centralised security operation three years ago.

Certain US flights still have airside pre-departure checks, too.

Thanks it has been a few years since we transited through AMS

Good thing we are not going to the USA hopefully flights to Canada no longer have the gate check :halo:

Indeed during high season and weekends expect delays before you can checkin and again at passport control. The situation seems to be better since last summer, but during the week vacation last May it was a mess again.

Some airlines to the USA have an extra check before you can go to the gates.

If things go quick you will then have plenty of time to shop or have a drink or meal, lots of choices.

We have a return flight from Schiphol at 10:35 AM, and our Celebrity Eclipse arrival is around 6 AM in Amsterdam... with disembarkation beginning around 7 AM at best. Celebrity said this was enough time, but makes me wonder.

Opinions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have a return flight from Schiphol at 10:35 AM, and our Celebrity Eclipse arrival is around 6 AM in Amsterdam... with disembarkation beginning around 7 AM at best. Celebrity said this was enough time, but makes me wonder.

Opinions?

And our disembarkation is Wednesday, July 25.

Opinions?

Since your disembarkation is on a weekday and also during vacation time traffic in the morning will not be as busy as normal.

You likely will need to take your luggage of the ship yourself to be of the ship as early as possible.

Driving time by cab to the airport will be between 20 and 25 minutes, so in this case it is doable. However in case of any delay there might be a problem.

We flew out of Schiphol on Sunday, May 30 after finishing a Viking River Cruise. We were flying to MSP via Icelandair. Therefore, there was no passport control at Schiphol (the line for passport control was in Iceland). Our flight left at 2:00 PM and our transfer left the boat at 11:00 AM. We were at the airport by 11:30 and check in took about 15 minutes. We were through security by 12:00. We were at our gate by by 1 PM. No problems, no delays, for our trip.

We flew out of that airport on June 4th (a Monday).

Now, we were biz class so security was prioritized, but the lineup did not appear long for either.

We were there slightly more than 3 hours early (better to have lots of time than be stressed) based on what I had read previously and, we were flying International.

Everything went quite smoothly (other than a very thorough pat down) and we had lots of time in the lounge and to go browsing the shops in the airport.

We liked the airport and the procedure was much smoother than I had anticipated.

We flew out of Schiphol on Sunday, May 30 after finishing a Viking River Cruise. We were flying to MSP via Icelandair. Therefore, there was no passport control at Schiphol (the line for passport control was in Iceland). Our flight left at 2:00 PM and our transfer left the boat at 11:00 AM. We were at the airport by 11:30 and check in took about 15 minutes. We were through security by 12:00. We were at our gate by by 1 PM. No problems, no delays, for our trip.

What are your thoughts regar ding Icelandair? We are considering a flight next cruise but have not used them before. Pro/con?

we were at the Amsterdam airport yesterday and the lines for check in if you did not do your check in before you got to the airport of use the machine at the airport were Long, very long for American airlines.

Then onto to security not bad lines and they moved quickly maybe 20 minutes.

the onto Passport control much slower as many people did not know how or what they were doing with the machines, even though the machine told you how to put the passport in and then look at the camera while it checked the picture on your passport with you standing in front of the camera.

then the very Long walk to the gate

Sue

We flew back from Amsterdam last Saturday. We did our check in online at the hotel. That was a good idea because the traffic lines for car drop off was long and once inside the lines to use the machines are long, mostly because people don't know what to do and some of the machines were down.

This was the most confusing airport we have been at. We had to ask several times where we needed to go and since we flew on Delta they sent us to the KLM line that was to drop off our luggage. The lines were very very long. They only had 5 desks open and some people took long. After 25 minutes we saw that some desks started to move quicker, but still it was a long line.

Once you drop off your luggage you go up the stairs and go through more lines to go through security and then they send you to passport control which was another line and a bit complicated due to the machines getting stuck. Mine was stuck for a while and nobody came to help me so I just stood there until it worked and let me through. You then have to see 1 guy that stamps your passport so you can exit the area. It's chaotic.

We arrived 3.5 hrs before our flight and were glad we did. Long lines and a long walk to the gate. They boarded the plane 1 hr before take off so try to get there early if you can. I always feel that it's best. I read that you have a van reserved, but for those that don't, there is a line of taxis at the cruise terminal waiting in the area where you exit after you get your luggage.

Thanks for the updates.

We plan on taking the train to the airport. Did anyone notice many people walking from the cruise ship to the train station with their luggage? We would then be in the airport and need to find our way to the luggage drop off for Delta.

I am hoping to be able to check and print out our boarding passes on the ship. Has anyone done this?

Thanks for the heads up

Yes also would like to know if you check in online & print boarding passes do you still need to line up for the machines??

I am guessing there are machines to get the luggage tags for checked bags so you can drop the bags someplace

TIA

I have planned to be there 3 hr prior but hoping it is enough time

KLM is the handling airline for Delta, Delta flights also have a KLM flightnumber. If you have boardingpasses printed already you can go to the machines into which you have to put your luggage. Instruction are on the machines and often there also is a person to help you. The machine weighs your luggage and if the weight is ok it will print the tag to put on your suitcase. Then lock the machines and your luggage is on its way.

If overweight it will not work of course, then either repack or go to a counter for help where you might have to pay a surcharge for the extra weight. In case you fly businessclass then go to the special C class counters (Not to the machines) and a person will do all the work for you.

After that you go through passportcontrol and security. When flying Delta you need to report to a special gate to get an extra TSA security check, when done you will know which gate will be for your flight.

Thanks for the updates.

We plan on taking the train to the airport. Did anyone notice many people walking from the cruise ship to the train station with their luggage? We would then be in the airport and need to find our way to the luggage drop off for Delta.

I am hoping to be able to check and print out our boarding passes on the ship. Has anyone done this?

Yes lots of people walk to the station. Keep on the noth (water) side and you will enter through the northern entrance/exits.

Main entrance is on the city side a bit more to walk.

In case you fly businessclass then go to the special C class counters (Not to the machines) and a person will do all the work for you.

After that you go through passportcontrol and security. .

Thanks INE for the information

Just wondering if you or anyone can say if flying Air Canada works the same way for Bus Class??

KLM is the handling airline for Delta, Delta flights also have a KLM flightnumber. If you have boardingpasses printed already you can go to the machines into which you have to put your luggage. Instruction are on the machines and often there also is a person to help you. The machine weighs your luggage and if the weight is ok it will print the tag to put on your suitcase. Then lock the machines and your luggage is on its way.

If overweight it will not work of course, then either repack or go to a counter for help where you might have to pay a surcharge for the extra weight. In case you fly businessclass then go to the special C class counters (Not to the machines) and a person will do all the work for you.

After that you go through passportcontrol and security. When flying Delta you need to report to a special gate to get an extra TSA security check, when done you will know which gate will be for your flight.

Thanks Ine, we are flying 'delta comfort'...do you know if that is the same as KLM business class?

Thanks Ine, we are flying 'delta comfort'...do you know if that is the same as KLM business class?

Not even close. Okay, maybe close, but not close enough. You’ll be able to see Business Class thru the curtains.

Delta Comfort is economy class. Top tier of economy, but still economy

No it is not. But I think Delta comfort is much better then KLM comfort. I know Delta offers pre boarding at many airports for comfortclass which KLM doesnot. I am not sure if they do this at Amsterdam airport too.

cayman09

You asked about flying Icelandair. We like to do transatlantic cruises and live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. A problem is the one way plane fare home. Delta one way fares are extremely high. This summer Delta wanted over $2000 for a one way ticket. As a result we have had to use Icelandair. A one way fare on Icelandic is $500-600, plus the cost of luggage and snacks. The planes are comfortable, but you have to change planes in Reykjevik. I would love to take the Delta nonstop from AMS to MSP, but Delta wants too much money.

cayman09

You asked about flying Icelandair. We like to do transatlantic cruises and live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. A problem is the one way plane fare home. Delta one way fares are extremely high. This summer Delta wanted over $2000 for a one way ticket. As a result we have had to use Icelandair. A one way fare on Icelandic is $500-600, plus the cost of luggage and snacks. The planes are comfortable, but you have to change planes in Reykjevik. I would love to take the Delta nonstop from AMS to MSP, but Delta wants too much money.

Just something to look into maybe.

I live in the Seattle area.

Many times at R/T ticket from Seattle to Europe can be very high. But if I price out of Vancouver BC, it will behalf the cost. I can buy a separate ticket to Vancouver, spend the night and still save $1000.

Maybe just price out of Toronto.

My example was Seattle to Paris rt business class was close to 9K. Flying out of Vancouver with everything else being equal was $4750.

All it costs is the time to search