DO you go off the grid?

bearhug75

From our first cruise (Honeymoon in 2005) and onward my wife and I stay connected only to each other. After sail away we head to our cabin, power our phones down and in the safe they go until we return to Debark. It is such an amazing break from "real life" and we look forward to it very much. Anyone else completely shut off "real life" when you cruise?

I use my phone as a camera, but phone is in airplane mode before we leave port and not turned on until back in port.

After 7 days, I do look forward to going up on Lido deck early in the morning and having a cup of hot chocolate and checking in on what took place while I was "gone". Nothing better than the skyline of Miami or Fort Lauderdale before the sun comes up.

We did before Carnival came up with their new phone app . Seems so much easier keeping up with the funtimes and family members. The paperless era is here .

That's true. Forgot about the HUB app. Great tool for cruising.

We do the same. One of the things we really like about cruisng. The disconnect.

Our experience with the Hub...

On our cruise last month, we had friends with the Hub app. We prefer the FunTimes in paper format. There were things we saw in the paper Funtimes that they couldn't find on the Hub app.

Can't say if this is normal or if there was just some issues on our sailing.

Whenever I see people out in public (wherever it might be) walking along and texting or talking on their smart phones, I think to myself "How did this world ever survive without cell phones?" I'm "old school". I have a no-frills flip phone. My wife has a smart phone though. To answer the OP's question, I shut down my phone and put it in the cabin's safe, and my wife puts hers on airplane mode and uses it as a camera. No phone calls and no texting until we get back to our home port on Debarkation Day.

I really enjoyed not having my phone on me on our first cruise this past February. We did use it to take pictures a bit, but otherwise we didn't touch our phones for a week. It is really nice, to bad we don't have the strength to do it while we are home lol

DH and DS power off and into the safe the phones go, I am the only one that keeps phone out to use the hub app for funtimes (and on port days I leave the phone in safe as well, we use an old school thing called a watch, a reg watch), menus etc, also will use for pix as well once in a while. Other than that we dont watch TV on vaca and stay off the grid, we communicate just fine with each other throughout the cruise. We laugh at all the people with their noses in their phones all cruise or on their tablets, why go on vaca if you are so concerned with what is going on with everyone at home? It is called vaca for a reason and it is definitely that for us!!! :D

I do, DW doesn't especially with the social plan. Regarding the HUB app, it is a nice tool but we found out on the Glory that the FunTimes posted in the app isn't necessarily the one they publish onboard, our meet and greet wasn't in the app but it was in the paper copy.

We love the disconnect as well, I'm constantly on-call for work, and having a week where I'm out of contact is pure bliss.

Last year, we didn't know about the HUB app and so our phones were turned off and stayed in the safe all week. Last month, we did have the HUB app and as soon as we got on board, the phones went into airplane mode and was only used for HUB and photos that week. Still had times the phone stayed in the room though :D

In the "old days" I carried a watch, a camera, and a map. Today I carry my iPhone, which is a multi of all things a traveler needs.

The ships would have a newspaper out each day for reading the news. Today, my iPhone does that.

My point is, I do use my phone on the cruise, and in port, and I am still disconnected from work, and everyday life. That doesn't mean for me that I need to be in the 18 century and turn it off. It's a tool, in my pocket that I need to use.

From our first cruise (Honeymoon in 2005) and onward my wife and I stay connected only to each other. After sail away we head to our cabin, power our phones down and in the safe they go until we return to Debark. It is such an amazing break from "real life" and we look forward to it very much. Anyone else completely shut off "real life" when you cruise?

And that’s why we cruise!!!!! Love being completely off grid, relaxed and without the hustles or traffic, emails, phones and social media!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We intentionally disconnect. One of the things I love about cruising is that work cannot contact me. However, I have an old andriod that I keep with me for pics or the ship's app. When ashore we might look for free wireless to check-in with family and friends, but that is all.

We don't buy Internet packages so technically we're off the grid when we cruise. However we do keep our phones on us. The first thing the papers do when they deliver them to our room is hit the trash can. We use the Hub app to communicate with one another, see our pictures, the menus and of course The Fun Times.

No....not at all. I cruise to take a break from the stressful thing in life such as work commitments. Staying semi connected to the world doesn't bring me stress, it brings enjoyment, so I have no reason to 'unplug'

No....not at all. I cruise to take a break from the stressful thing in life such as work commitments. Staying semi connected to the world doesn't bring me stress, it brings enjoyment, so I have no reason to 'unplug'
Us too. We love sharing the wonderful things we see with family and friends as we are enjoying them when the feelings are still fresh.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

We purchase the social internet package exclusively for the purpose of posting our pics to FB and to have emergency access via Messenger to our adult kids. We don't (can't) check email and we don't generally follow the news at all. Disconnecting, to the extent practical, is one of the things we truly love about cruising.

We will not be using the wifi plans but will be attempting to use the HUB app to communicate with the kids as they go off to do their own things. Our phones double as our cameras as well so they are not put away but we will not be surfing the web.

We are in the moment on the ship and on shore. We don't use our phones at all when we are traveling together. I have never understood the need to share every experience/feeling/pix with others back home while I am immersing myself in them. I am away and don't want to be tied back home while traveling.

There will be plenty of time to share with others when I am back in the real world.

Absolutely power off (ok airplane mode for camera). Whatever is going on in the "other" world is going to happen whether or not I am there. I used to post to Facebook while on vacation, but I am so over it. I want to be on and fully immersed in my vacation, not documenting it live.