What's the 1st thing you do?

ediemarie

I've never been on a cruise. I will be in March (RCCL - Freedom). I reckon I'll first just want to turn on the TV and flip my way around the "dial" so I don't need to flip much later. Lay down on the bed and watch TV for a bit. Also, did I hear "chocolate under the pillow"? That sounds good!

As soon as I am done decompressing from being in the embarcation crowd, I'll probably venture out and look at the schedule on the TVs in the hall (I thought I saw that's how it worked), and then walk the promenade.

If you want a less crowded experience, then ask crew members which of the Main Dining Rooms (MDRs) are serving lunch. You may have to ask a couple of different people, since they may try to steer you to the buffet. The information should also be available the ship's newspaper, which is available at the purser (customer services desk). I mention that because your cabin may not be ready.

Going to the main dining room means that way you can start your cruise with a nice, served, lunch. On many ships this is only available until about 1:30 PM.

The very first thing the DW and I do is head to the cabin to drop off the carry on then straight to the Lido deck for lunch and a Margirita.

I'll 2nd that. Definitely in that order. Then I go explore the ship. Tummy is full so I have the energy to walk around, take pictures and go 'wow!'

Edited by Kfoot

• 3 weeks later...

As soon as we board we grab the first drink we can find, it signifies we are on vacation. Then continue on to the Lido deck for a burger, fries, onions and mushrooms, along with another drink. Have been doing this for all 8 of our cruises.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This list might contain some Carnival-specific examples.
  • Take gratuitous shots of the whale tail, then of myself in front of it.

I hope that is something Carnival specific - over here a whale tail is when someone's thong is sticking out over the top of their low rise jeans (images here if you're brave).

I invariably seem to end up on the ship a lot later than I'd like, so I head straight to my cabin, drop off my hand luggage, check the muster time, freshen up, and take a look through the newsletter. I update my phone with all the things on that day that I want to do, then head out with my book and look for a cocktail. If there's somewhere to get food, I'll try that too (but rarely succeed).

• 3 weeks later...

After a relaxing lunch at the buffet, when they allow us to go to our cabins, the first thing I do is wipe down ALL surfaces that are touched by "everyone"..... doorknobs, phone, hair dryer, drawer pulls, lamp/light switches, faucet handles, counter tops, etc., using antibacterial wipes. Whether or not it really makes any difference, I don't know, but it takes only a few minutes and gives me piece of mind. 24 cruises and I've never gotten sick yet!

Find the buffet where we eat dessert first because we are on vacation so we can do whatever we want :)

then we go find our room to drop off carry-ons . My parents usually stay in the cabin to wait for luggage , I look for a good reading nook . (On my Alaskan cruise I found one that was so good that the muster had already started and I had no idea. A staff member found me and told me what was going on . No wonder my side of the ship was quiet all of a sudden!)

After that incident I try to find a reading nook closer to my stateroom so that I can go to the muster drill with my family.

After the muster we go to our room to unpack and rest before the show and dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...
After a relaxing lunch at the buffet, when they allow us to go to our cabins, the first thing I do is wipe down ALL surfaces that are touched by "everyone"..... doorknobs, phone, hair dryer, drawer pulls, lamp/light switches, faucet handles, counter tops, etc., using antibacterial wipes. Whether or not it really makes any difference, I don't know, but it takes only a few minutes and gives me piece of mind. 24 cruises and I've never gotten sick yet!

This is my ritual also. I come armed w/my can of Lysol, Plastic Gloves, Clorox Clean Up Wipes, Paper Towels & Plastic Bags (for my clean up trash). I can't unpack a thing until I wipe down Everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Lunch in the Winjammer is first, then to see if we can drop our carry-on bags in our cabin. Wipe down with an antiseptic wipe. Check out where our table is in the dinging room. After the muster drill, up to the pool deck for the Drink of the Day.

We set sail on June 22nd via the NOS ... what time would our room typically be ready by? I plan on boarding as soon as we are allowed so we can start our vacation. Guessing a drink with lunch will get us started before we start exploring. Just reading these posts have gotten me very excited and I can hardly wait for that day to come!!

• 9 months later...

Since I fly into port the day before the first thing I do when I step on the ship is let out the breath I've been holding for the past 24-72 hours. A lot can happen between the time I board that plane, get to the hotel and step on the ship, that I can't relax until I hear the 'ding' of the set sail pass telling me I've made it.

Then I get a Bellini Sunset and walk around the ship.

After that, I just go with the flow:)

• 1 year later...
76 days until I board the NCL Epic for my 3rd cruise. The first cruise, we went straight to the buffet. BIG mistake....way too busy. I think this time we will head to the MDR for lunch. Then EXPLORE! Get to know your new home for the next several days.

I agree! I much prefer to have a "served" lunch in the Main Dining Room, rather than the buffet. FYI, in case you have not already experienced this, if you ask which MDR is open they will likely direct you to the buffet.

Sometimes it takes some persistence to find out which MDR is open for lunch. Check your ships daily paper to see if they list the MDR, or ask the staff.

• 1 month later...

Run around the entire ship taking photos of everything and getting snacks. Don't care if people judge, I'm on vacation too!

In January I'll be going on Harmony of the Seas and I already know as soon as I get on it... I'm gonna run up to that 100 foot tall slide they have on the back on the ship! ha :D

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If room is ready, drop off carryons, go to MDR for Lunch (prefer table service) and enjoy my first of many beverages! Then explore the ship a bit, check into Teen center with DS. Once Luggage is delivered I don't feel completely on Vacation until I have things put away and organized. Then I'm happy to just find a comfy lounger and settle in with my Trip Reading list on Kindle and a good drink