Has anyone flew on Allegiant before?

Desinico

Does anyone remember People's Express? I had a lot of experiences with them, I remember when they acquired an old 747 and you could get flights to London (Heathrow?) for $99. Most of my bad experience with them were passenger related. I use to call then the Greyhound of the skies, but I got along great with the actual airline.

Greyhound may be a better option than Alligent :eek:

Overall I would not take them for the small "savings" vs. the issues, extra charges. You loose a lot if you miss you sailing and if stranded on return you wil spend more with alternative arrangement.

Don't give them any other ideas on charging for the bathroom as they may have a fee for #1, #2, flushing, washing hands, using TP , LOL but maybe, not!

:eek:

• 4 months later...

Just found out they will be starting service from my local airport. I got excited.... then I started reading reviews.... No Thank You. I'd rather fly to/from my cruise having peace of mind. Seems people start jumping on cheap flights without doing research first and be in for a rude awakening. I won't get caught in that trap.

I have flown with them more times than i can count. Never had a problem. Not to say something couldn't happen. But anything can happen on any airline. The only issue i see with them is if the flight is cancelled, it may be days before that route is offered again for you to rebook and if a seat is available. As far a planes being old, I've flown older , more unlean and less pleasant staff on delta mamy times. I do hate the 40# weight limit on baggage. But i deal with it. Do not pay to pick seats unless its a long haul (vegas) trip. Just booked them monday for a quick girls weekend in july for 130.00. Taking a back pack only as personal item so no luggage fees.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Never had a problem. Not to say something couldn't happen. But anything can happen on any airline. The only issue i see with them is if the flight is cancelled, it may be days before that route is offered again for you to rebook and if a seat is available.

Yes, anything can happen on any airline but the "only issue" described above? That's potentially a HUGE issue if one has a time-sensitive flight, i.e. trying to get to a cruise! If one books a flight with Southwest, American, Delta etc. and the flight is canceled, there are likely multiple other flights out that day or early the next day to the destination,and the airline will usually reroute you if needed. With airlines like Spirit and Allegiant there may not be another flight for one's route for several days. Getting an available seat on a limited array of flights may be even more difficult, and as mentioned above, rerouting may not be an option either.

Yes, anything can happen on any airline but the "only issue" described above? That's potentially a HUGE issue if one has a time-sensitive flight, i.e. trying to get to a cruise! If one books a flight with Southwest, American, Delta etc. and the flight is canceled, there are likely multiple other flights out that day or early the next day to the destination,and the airline will usually reroute you if needed. With airlines like Spirit and Allegiant there may not be another flight for one's route for several days. Getting an available seat on a limited array of flights may be even more difficult, and as mentioned above, rerouting may not be an option either.

Agreed. Just stating my experiences and like/dislikes. Not advising a person should or shouldn't use them. Only the person "shopping" options can decide. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Older thread, but I'll give my $0.02. I flew Allegiant in January 2017 from Fort Lauderdale to Akron OH. The flight was fairly good, but upon landing, the cabin filled with smoke so thick you couldn't see from one end to another. The pilot stopped the engines at the end of the runway and we sat for 40 minutes. The emergency doors never opened, nor did the flight crew attempt to open them. None of the flight crew seemed to know what to do and the pilot spoke briefly to us through his oxygen mask. We were stuck on the plane until the tug came out and pulled us back in. Do you know how SLOW those tugs go? For my inconvenience, they emailed a $50 voucher for a future flight. I don't believe I will ever fly Allegiant again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We actually used them to go to Las Vegas; but they fly Cincinnati to Fort Lauderdale on fri and sat so could use them for a sat to sat cruise or sailings that aren't a straight 7 day cruise.

I don't buy the argument that it's unsafe to fly then. They still have to pass the same FAA regulations as everyone else. My only concerns about them are delay/cancellation related.

If we had access to southwest or jet blue, would def use them... but delta is our primary here and it's hard to get a ticket anywhere for under $400.. so looking at $800 for 2 on delta; with a base price of $300 for 2, even with $100 in extra fees that's still a heck of a lot better. Plus delta charges more to choose seats and luggage now anyway. Half a can of Coke and a bag of pretzels isn't enough for me to be mad at allegiant for the fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To be clear: Delta does not charge to choose seats. Delta charges to select Preferred seats or Comfort + seats. Plenty of seats to be selected that have no charge. Now, if you went on the cheap and picked the Basic Economy fare (the "E" fare, NOT the "SLUTX" fare), you cannot pick seats ahead of time and can only have one cabin bag. Big difference from regular Economy on DL.

To be clear: Delta does not charge to choose seats. Delta charges to select Preferred seats or Comfort + seats. Plenty of seats to be selected that have no charge. Now, if you went on the cheap and picked the Basic Economy fare (the "E" fare, NOT the "SLUTX" fare), you cannot pick seats ahead of time and can only have one cabin bag. Big difference from regular Economy on DL.

Right, I was referring to their basic economy tickets where you can't pick seats vs the main cabin tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone remember People's Express? I had a lot of experiences with them, I remember when they acquired an old 747 and you could get flights to London (Heathrow?) for $99. Most of my bad experience with them were passenger related. I use to call then the Greyhound of the skies, but I got along great with the actual airline.

Flown Peoples Express many times since their hub was here in Jersey. Did you know that PeopleExpress mad a brief comeback in 2014? Very brief comeback, like three months brief...lol.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/06/low-frills_peoplexpress_airlines_is_back_in_the_air_after_27_years.html

Flown Peoples Express many times since their hub was here in Jersey. Did you know that PeopleExpress mad a brief comeback in 2014? Very brief comeback, like three months brief...lol.

Yes, in name only. So has Eastern and I believe National.

• 10 months later...
Agreed... pay attention to this link....

https://www.allegiantair.com/popup/optional-services-fees

If you want to sit with friends, use a credit card, have carry-on, have 50lb luggage. I should add there's surcharge if you under estimate your luggage at booking and show up with more at the airport. The Allegiant check-in counters can get vocal with fliers blind sided by those extra fees when not reading the above link.

A comment about Trip Flex.... I have a very tight schedule on my flight, so I wanted insurance. When substituted my flight for a smaller plane (mechanical issues), I got on the next flight.... those that did not have the travel insurance had to wait additional hours before allowed to board. Not how I wanted to use Trip Flex, but on that day... it was great to be on the next flight.

So add up all the "optional service" that is important to you.... are you really saving?

Many times (not always) the "no-frills" carriers, with the fees you choose, will still be cheaper than the traditional airlines. Do check it out - all the charges are clearly laid out on the carrier websites. Though people complain about being "nickeled and dimed" there is flip side of the coin that you only pay for the services you use (unbundling).

Comparing "no frills" carrier to traditional ones is apples and oranges. I would like to see some comparisons among the "no frills" carriers (Spirit - which I love and would use again, Frontier - never again, Allegiant, Silver, etc)

Yes we have been on Allegiant many times. Flight from Sanford Fla one day, Pilot backs plane out of gate and stops and shuts down engine because hydrolic fluid was leaking out of engine , Meantime Fire truck shows to foam the plane. Made for a long day waiting 10 hours for another plane to arrive and get us home. But we did each get a $50.00 credit for next flight..

Boy !! I hear those $3.00 (coins, only please..) fees for the ONE (male/female) toilet are a REAL pain !!!:p (Just kidding !!) But I did see where 60 min TV show really did gutting expose' of them. But 60 min said that the airline was up grading their A/C, so maybeeeeeee their record of cancelations/late or non-departures will improve. I've often wondered just WHO at this airline is ' in bed with the FAA/NTSB' makes one wonder huh ?

Mac