How out of place will I be?

1025cruise

I just received word from my TA that on my Disney Wonder cruise in October, that one night will be a Halloween party (which surprises me as I am not cruising over Halloween). All guests are encouraged to bring costumes, etc..

Well, I don't do Halloween. I haven't dressed in a costume since I entered high school. Not to mention that I will be flying, and would prefer not to waste my baggage space carrying a costume, that I'd rather not wear.

So, how out of place will I be? I'm just looking for a nice relaxing week.

I just received word from my TA that on my Disney Wonder cruise in October, that one night will be a Halloween party (which surprises me as I am not cruising over Halloween). All guests are encouraged to bring costumes, etc..

Well, I don't do Halloween. I haven't dressed in a costume since I entered high school. Not to mention that I will be flying, and would prefer not to waste my baggage space carrying a costume, that I'd rather not wear.

Why not get a costume and wear it on the plane?:D

Kidding! I would guess a majority of adults won't be wearing costumes. Like you, I haven't dressed for Halloween since I was a kid, although I did buy a costume for a Halloween cruise last year. Never got to wear it: Hurricane Sandy wiped out the cruise.

Found this limerick about an unusual Halloween costume (very easy to pack), but I wouldn't recommend it:

A young fellow made the news

It seems on his Halloween cruise

At the stroke of midnight

He came into sight

Wearing nothing but his shoes!

You won't be out of place. It's more for the kids than anything, but there will be adults dressing up as well - kinda like Pirate night.

We don't dress up but we do enjoy watching the parties. Do be sure to get your Halloween candy if you want it. You can always declare yourself dressed as a tourist :)

With all the activities, you can choose to participate or not. You won't really stand out one way or another but it might be more in your face then you prefer.

Is it a preference not to observe the holiday or just not to be bothered with a costume? We personally choose not to observe the holiday at all. But if you don't care, it really won't matter. (No one HAS to do ANYTHING on a cruise, except bring documents and obey the law!)

If you are not for ghosty stuff (we aren't) and you plan to be on the Dream, you might skip the Villains show (or at least the first 20 min of it) because it already starts out ghosty and I imagine they will go all out for the halloween theme, but that is just conjecture.

Either way, I'm glad I'm cruising in May, when the only thing being observed is Pirate Night & our Anniversary!

I have nothing against the holiday, just not my thing. I just want to make sure I'm not a complete standout. On my honeymoon cruise 4 years ago on Princess, we did cruise over Halloween, and there were people dressed up, but I don't recall it being a majority.

They're doing this in September? Nobody can accuse Disney of slacking off on the holiday festivities. The year of a Million Dreams lasted two years.

What do the Halloween costume guidelines say? ;)

only 50% participate in formal nite ... maybe less

why would you expect more for ho'ween?

do what you want and don't worry about it

wear shorts and flip flops and tell folks you are a dining room crasher!

The information DCL sent out about the Halloween activities includes:

Guests will want to make room for their costumes, because this year we've created an all-new event, Halloween on the High Seas, and we'll be celebrating with new themed offerings. The Disney Dream will unveil Halloween on the High Seas with new events and activities along with a costume contest for adult Guests and a special costume parade for children on the following sail dates:

September 22 September 26 October 3 October 6 October 10 October 13 October 17 October 20 October 24 October 27 October 31

Though not required, we encourage Guests of all ages to bring their costumes and join in our expanded Halloween celebration. From spellbinding stories, fun-filled family entertainment and yummy treats, we've tried to think of everything to make these voyages special. While there will be themed activities throughout the cruise, on one special evening, children will receive candy treat bags in their staterooms that they can bring along to a ship-wide party to collect even more treats. On this same evening, prizes will be awarded to our adult costume contest participants based on the following categories:

Funniest

Most Spooky

Best Group

Most Original

Most Disney

More information on themed nights, times and locations will be available onboard in the Personal Navigator that will be delivered to Guest staterooms.

Please remember that while all Guests are invited to wear costumes, we ask that Guests choose costumes that are not obstructive or offensive. To avoid any disappointment or delay in the boarding process, we ask that when considering costume options Guests should refrain from bringing toys or props that resemble guns, knives or other related implements, as these items will not be allowed onboard.

What do the Halloween costume guidelines say?

The information DCL sent out about the Halloween activities includes:

Guests will want to make room for their costumes, because this year we've created an all-new event, Halloween on the High Seas, and we'll be celebrating with new themed offerings. The Disney Dream will unveil Halloween on the High Seas with new events and activities along with a costume contest for adult Guests and a special costume parade for children on the following sail dates:

September 22 September 26 October 3 October 6 October 10 October 13 October 17 October 20 October 24 October 27 October 31

Though not required, we encourage Guests of all ages to bring their costumes and join in our expanded Halloween celebration. From spellbinding stories, fun-filled family entertainment and yummy treats, we've tried to think of everything to make these voyages special. While there will be themed activities throughout the cruise, on one special evening, children will receive candy treat bags in their staterooms that they can bring along to a ship-wide party to collect even more treats. On this same evening, prizes will be awarded to our adult costume contest participants based on the following categories:

Funniest

Most Spooky

Best Group

Most Original

Most Disney

More information on themed nights, times and locations will be available onboard in the Personal Navigator that will be delivered to Guest staterooms.

Please remember that while all Guests are invited to wear costumes, we ask that Guests choose costumes that are not obstructive or offensive. To avoid any disappointment or delay in the boarding process, we ask that when considering costume options Guests should refrain from bringing toys or props that resemble guns, knives or other related implements, as these items will not be allowed onboard.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it will be fun to dress up as a family. I am going on Oct 3rd and I will be a bottle of ketchup, my partner is a bottle of mustard, and our little boy (4) is a hot dog:) I haven't dressed up in 20 yrs but why not enjoy it via Disney!!

We're cruising on a Halloween cruise and I don't plan to dress up. I'll bring costumes for the kids, though. We've attended Mickey's Halloween Treat at Disneyland and most of the parents aren't dressed up, but enough are that you wouldn't feel out of place either way. I would imagine it's the same thing on the cruise.

Easy costume if you change your mind. Take green t shirt, put two letter p's on the front. Blacken one of your eyes with make up and voila, you are the black eyed peas!

Archived