Frontier Airlines ??????

midwestchick

Look at their reviews on ANY site, customer satisfaction, on time arrivals...sometimes you get screwed by the other carriers, but Frontier and Spirit are bes to be avoided unless you really don't need to get there or care that much ;)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

When you add in all the additional fees, you are usually better off going with another airline, such as Southwest. Not sure if that is available for where you are flying from / to, but you can always change your flights without fees -- even if just to lower the price of your flight.

On the front end, Frontier seems cheaper but those extra charges will probably get you in the long run.

On our last cruise our friends used Frontier for the first time. They had extra bags due to SCUBA gear and were prepared to pay extra. Between the carry-on fee and the baggage fees they paid more than the airfare!

Needless to say, it was their last time on Frontier.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It all depends on the fare, and how many bags u take.

We did this reciently 2x and saved a huge amount over our typical fare. We were traveling as a family of 4. We choose to take large suitcases (1 bag each, or less). Carry on luggage is higher priced then cabin baggage, and u still get free handbag which can be a laptop bag. I wouldn't do for a long flight as seats don't recline, but will defiantly use again when a good deal coincides with our travel plans.

We use Frontier as much as we can, the airport is only five (5) minutes from our home with the next major airport 45 minutes on a good day. My determining factor for cost is $150 or more difference in airfare, I will travel to the major airport.

Frontier has an add on fee (per segment) which permits you to pre-select your seat, two (2) carry on's, one bag check in and to cancel without penalty.

For us it is worth it, overall considering the additional time, parking fees etc.

The real bonus for us is, we can arrive at the airport up to 45 minutes before flight time and not worry about missing the flight...

Staff and crew have always been accommodating, helpful and friendly in our experience.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Frontier doesn't fly from my home airport so I can't speak to them specifically, but be careful with low cost carriers in general. Often they only fly a particular route once a day or on certain days of the week. If something happens and your flight has to be canceled, and the next scheduled flight isn't til the next day or 2 days later, you'd be out of luck. The LCC's also don't interline with other airlines, so in the example above there is 0 chance they'd rebook you on another airline to get you there sooner.

Frontier doesn't fly from my home airport so I can't speak to them specifically, but be careful with low cost carriers in general. Often they only fly a particular route once a day or on certain days of the week. If something happens and your flight has to be canceled, and the next scheduled flight isn't til the next day or 2 days later, you'd be out of luck. The LCC's also don't interline with other airlines, so in the example above there is 0 chance they'd rebook you on another airline to get you there sooner.

Excellent post.

If you are going on a cruise, (or NEED to be somewhere on time,) then I would be hesitant to book on Frontier (or Spirit, or Allegiant), unless you are prepared to purchase a last minute (expensive) ticket on another airline, if something goes wrong.

Agree with above. The issue with these carriers is they don't always have back up planes or multiple flights in case something happens so you could get stuck.

The added cost is not an issue because you can just start a booking and see the total fees before you book. You can then decide if it is cheaper.

Even though I've flown then a couple of times, if I really had to be somewhere at a specific time I am not sure I would fly them

Frontier is having financial woes and has been slashing flights and employees. I would be very careful booking them very long term out, in that they might not be flying when the times comes!

Everything with them goes through Denver. Sometimes going through Denver in the winter is ok and sometimes it's not. Same with those afternoon t-storms they have during the summer that can quickly back things up!

Between the carry-on fee and the baggage fees they paid more than the airfare!

That's a rather meaningless comparison though. We're talking a low cost carrier so if the fare was $39 then $50 in luggage isn't a particularly eye watering amount.

Carry on luggage is higher priced then cabin baggage

:confused:

I have taken the "new" Frontier twice within the last year, and here are my thoughts:

1) Both flights were on-time, or actually slightly early

2) In both cases, my wife and I took our chances and did not pre-reserve seats. In both cases, we ended up next to each other about mid-way back in the aircraft

3) The seats got very uncomfortable very fast. Both flights were one hour in length and I probably would not want to go much further than that

4) Overhead bins were practically empty on both legs. We both had small bags that we threw under our seats and that was just fine for a one hour flight as it wasn't worth the carry-on fee

5) We were easily able to go an hour without buying food or drink

6) All in all, for the base fee + the extra fees we paid (really just one checked bag), it was quite a bit cheaper than the other airlines on the route (American, United, and Southwest). We will fly them again on short flights if the price is substantially less, but wouldn't take them on longer flight by any means.

Frontier is having financial woes and has been slashing flights and employees. I would be very careful booking them very long term out, in that they might not be flying when the times comes!

Everything with them goes through Denver. Sometimes going through Denver in the winter is ok and sometimes it's not. Same with those afternoon t-storms they have during the summer that can quickly back things up!

The Denver thing really isn't true anymore. As they've morphed in to a ULCC, they've started many more point-to-point, non-hub flights. For example, out of Chicago O'Hare, they serve upwards of 20 destinations nonstop (between year-round and seasonal routes). Denver is still their largest airport, but they've gotten away from routing everything through Denver and have started a more point-to-point based operation.

Frontier is great for snowbirds who fly back and forth between homes in the north and homes in the south or SW and really don't "need" to be anywhere on a specific date and have all of their clothing and belongings split between the homes so just board with a small personal item. Otherwise. Uh, no.

Frontier is great for snowbirds who fly back and forth between homes in the north and homes in the south or SW and really don't "need" to be anywhere on a specific date and have all of their clothing and belongings split between the homes so just board with a small personal item. Otherwise. Uh, no.

I think the on-time knock is a bit rough. For March to July 2016, airline on-time stats are as follows:

All US Airlines - 80.45%

Frontier - 75.89%

Southwest - 77.68%

American - 77.47%

United - 81.05%

Delta - 86.27%

Virgin America - 74.97%

JetBlue - 75.48%

Spirit - 72.18%

Aside from Delta (and to a much lesser extent United) being the exception for having higher ratings, most other airlines are around the same, including Frontier. And if you look at January to July 2016, Frontier's on-time percentage is even higher at 78.55%.

I think the on-time knock is a bit rough. For March to July 2016, airline on-time stats are as follows:

All US Airlines - 80.45%

Frontier - 75.89%

Southwest - 77.68%

American - 77.47%

United - 81.05%

Delta - 86.27%

Virgin America - 74.97%

JetBlue - 75.48%

Spirit - 72.18%

Aside from Delta (and to a much lesser extent United) being the exception for having higher ratings, most other airlines are around the same, including Frontier. And if you look at January to July 2016, Frontier's on-time percentage is even higher at 78.55%.

Thanks Z1,

Like as in cruise lines, some like to bash an airline whom they do not like for whatever reason, valid or not, without examining all the facts. Throw out information and hope it sticks.

If one flies often enough, then a bad experience is bound to happen rather we adapt to it or not.

Two (2) words 'Trip Insurance', third party at that...

bon voyage

Thanks Z1,

Like as in cruise lines, some like to bash an airline whom they do not like for whatever reason, valid or not, without examining all the facts. Throw out information and hope it sticks.

If one flies often enough, then a bad experience is bound to happen rather we adapt to it or not.

bon voyage

I did forget to add, each of us has to be comfortable with our air arrangements, as there is NO need to stress either before or after a great sailing!

bon voyage

All US Airlines - 80.45%

Frontier - 75.89%

Southwest - 77.68%

American - 77.47%

United - 81.05%

Delta - 86.27%

Virgin America - 74.97%

JetBlue - 75.48%

Spirit - 72.18%

The problem with Frontier is that as they have very limited flights and don't code share, a missed/cancelled flight could easily mean a missed cruise. I wouldn't risk it for something that time critical. Trenton to Orlando has one flight a day. Is that a risk you're willing to take?

Thanks Z1,

bon voyage

Mitigating potential loss is better than relying on travel insurance.

Of course travel insurance is a must have.

• 8 months later...

We have flown on three Frontier flights and I would fly them again only if it was a flight that "didn't matter". I flew them this past Saturday and the flight was delayed three hours with no real explanation. Then, when we arrived at midnight, there was "congestion on the tarmac and so had another 15 minute wait. Then the walkway to the terminal wasn't functioning and we were trapped on the airplane. We were all willing to use the slide or why didn't they go to another gate just to deplane. It was a pretty miserable flight. Not all of the problems were with Frontier, but the whole experience wasn't good.