Ship tour on "Wonder"....

Randyp1234

My brother is taking a cruise on the Wonder in October and I was wondering if there was a ship tour they could book like the "Ultimate Ship Tour" that Princess offers that takes you to all the behind the scenes locations?

Thanks,

Randy

My brother is taking a cruise on the Wonder in October and I was wondering if there was a ship tour they could book like the "Ultimate Ship Tour" that Princess offers that takes you to all the behind the scenes locations?

Thanks,

Randy

No. The only ship's tours (on DCL) are the Walking Ship's Tour (takes you around the first day and acquaints you with where things are. And the Art of the Theme Show Tour. Takes you around the public areas and talks about the various design choices.

No. The only ship's tours (on DCL) are the Walking Ship's Tour (takes you around the first day and acquaints you with where things are. And the Art of the Theme Show Tour. Takes you around the public areas and talks about the various design choices.

Thanks!!

Randy

In the past, there have been some free behind the scenes events--currently none are available. The tours mentioned above are worth doing, and have no cost. You show up at the starting point listed in the Navigator. No swag, but no huge cost either.

It seems like Disney is the ONLY cruise line that does not offer some sort of bridge, backstage, galley, or other similar tour.

As noted, they have in the past, but, in keeping with the Disney "magic" they don't really like people seeing what goes on behind the scenes, for the most part.

There is a galley tour on most long cruises. And there used to be a backstage tour available for Concierge guests.

As noted, they have in the past, but, in keeping with the Disney "magic" they don't really like people seeing what goes on behind the scenes, for the most part.

There is a galley tour on most long cruises. And there used to be a backstage tour available for Concierge guests.

That seems strange since I've heard they do at the parks.

We'll consider this question answered. Thanks everyone!!

Randy

Long ago, there was a theatre tour available to everyone. Same for a galley tour. The bridge tours ended after 9/11. Then there were the Platinum Experience tours which were a smaller group, much more involved, etc. Bottom line, as noted, there are two "around the ship" tours which are good. The Art of the Theme Ship is quite interesting. On the new ships, they'll point out the $50K crystal Remy in the restaurant (just so you know where your upcharge goes!) But seriously, they will show and explain a lot of things that you might otherwise miss. Worth doing, at least once or twice.

As a former Stage Manager on Wonder & Dream I can tell you I did use to give backstage tours to Mainstage. However these were based on whether the current CD wanted them or not. As I recall they were limited to a certain level guest but I am not positive.

On Wonder we would start in the theatre (usually a group of 10-12 people max) and I would explain hiring, rehearsals, cast change overs and general show info. We would then go onstage and do a brief tour, usually including the Production Mgr at this point, and show all the sets and backstage storage area. If seas permitted we would put everyone on the lift and take everyone below the stage lever (which NO ONE but those on these tours ever saw as it was in a strictly crew area) and then take them back on deck.

Mind you this was 2011 so I have no idea what happens now, but I certainly enjoyed being a give a glimpse behind the magic.....and also always being careful not to show TOO much!

As a former Stage Manager on Wonder & Dream I can tell you I did use to give backstage tours to Mainstage. However these were based on whether the current CD wanted them or not. As I recall they were limited to a certain level guest but I am not positive.

On Wonder we would start in the theatre (usually a group of 10-12 people max) and I would explain hiring, rehearsals, cast change overs and general show info. We would then go onstage and do a brief tour, usually including the Production Mgr at this point, and show all the sets and backstage storage area. If seas permitted we would put everyone on the lift and take everyone below the stage lever (which NO ONE but those on these tours ever saw as it was in a strictly crew area) and then take them back on deck.

Mind you this was 2011 so I have no idea what happens now, but I certainly enjoyed being a give a glimpse behind the magic.....and also always being careful not to show TOO much!

This was the VIP Platinum Experience tour. Prior to this starting, (years before) there was a much more basic tour that involved meeting some of the cast in the auditorium and being able to ask questions.

With Disney always looking for ways to separate guests from their money I would have thought they'd long ago do this. As for the don't show the magic argument I've done the back stage magic tour at WDW and seeing Mickey with his head off smoking a cigarette is just as bad as it can get for dystroing the magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With Disney always looking for ways to separate guests from their money I would have thought they'd long ago do this. As for the don't show the magic argument I've done the back stage magic tour at WDW and seeing Mickey with his head off smoking a cigarette is just as bad as it can get for dystroing the magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I think Walt would be really upset with that. Typically, backstage tours at the parks are only in approved areas (not the areas where characters take their breaks, for instance).

Yes, I think Walt would be really upset with that. Typically, backstage tours at the parks are only in approved areas (not the areas where characters take their breaks, for instance).

At least they have an age limit on the tour so the little ones don't get to see it.

Remember as well, that unlike WDW, the crew live there and a lot of backstage areas are an extension of their living areas.

While you wouldn't get a tour of these areas, many of them you may have to pass through. While you might not mind the magic being ruined by seeing Cindy chilling in the corridor in shorts and a tank top, with a coffee, skyping home, Cindy might not be best pleased to see you on the 10 minute gap on her schedule.

Remember as well, that unlike WDW, the crew live there and a lot of backstage areas are an extension of their living areas.

While you wouldn't get a tour of these areas, many of them you may have to pass through. While you might not mind the magic being ruined by seeing Cindy chilling in the corridor in shorts and a tank top, with a coffee, skyping home, Cindy might not be best pleased to see you on the 10 minute gap on her schedule.

I did the all access tour on the Oasis of the Seas and went through a number of crew areas. And how is that different then seeing Mickey grabbing a smoke in a cast member area at WDW?

The only times you may enter crew only ares on DCL ships are during the muster drill when some stations use hallways that are otherwise restricted and when using wheelchair access to the front of the theatre. In both of these situations, you are supervised. Crew living quarters are strictly off limits and the access situation has been changed so as to keep unauthorized people out. I did stay on deck 1 once and saw the crew doors propped open often (but you couldnt' see anything). You can see the crew pool area and watch their zumba parties. And occasionally during emergency/unusual situations you may see some "backstage" areas.

I did the all access tour on the Oasis of the Seas and went through a number of crew areas. And how is that different then seeing Mickey grabbing a smoke in a cast member area at WDW?

Well that is the difference isn't it. Other companies do backstage areas, DCL don't.

Because at Disney your experience is a show. And show is their number 1 priority after safety.

Which is why their employees are called cast members.

The cast members wear costumes, whatever their role.

Why non-guest areas are called backstage.

Why every cm has character integrity lessons before they start work.

In the end, it doesn't really matter if you think it's any different or not. Disney care about detail and don't want to ruin the magic unnecessarily for anyone (even their crew in some areas).

Whatever you saw at WDW, someone somewhere went very wrong, whether it was your guide or 'Mickey grabbing a smoke in a cast member area'. I would take a bet you are one of the very few that have seen that (especially as Disney have strict rules about what you can have around costumes: food, drink, cigarettes) so count yourself lucky if that impresses you, but it's not really much of an argument for backstage tours on DCL, lol. And if anyone with power found out, I would doubt that that cm is even a cm anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
Well that is the difference isn't it. Other companies do backstage areas, DCL don't.

Because at Disney your experience is a show. And show is their number 1 priority after safety.

Which is why their employees are called cast members.

The cast members wear costumes, whatever their role.

Why non-guest areas are called backstage.

Why every cm has character integrity lessons before they start work.

In the end, it doesn't really matter if you think it's any different or not. Disney care about detail and don't want to ruin the magic unnecessarily for anyone (even their crew in some areas).

Whatever you saw at WDW, someone somewhere went very wrong, whether it was your guide or 'Mickey grabbing a smoke in a cast member area'. I would take a bet you are one of the very few that have seen that (especially as Disney have strict rules about what you can have around costumes: food, drink, cigarettes) so count yourself lucky if that impresses you, but it's not really much of an argument for backstage tours on DCL, lol. And if anyone with power found out, I would doubt that that cm is even a cm anymore.

That's ridiculous. So why is it actually a "positive" if Disney doesn't offer a behind the scenes tour? What does "show is their number 1 priority after safety" even mean? Every cruise line offers a tour to see how the cruise operations works, like all the service lines, engine room, mechanical issues, etc. It's very interesting to people these days.

We are going on the Disney Fantasy in November with a large family who are all engineers LOL! So I guess I can go ahead and tell them to forget any behind the scenes tours, correct? These engineers are a different crowd and are always thinking the technical stuff behind every single event!

That's ridiculous. So why is it actually a "positive" if Disney doesn't offer a behind the scenes tour? What does "show is their number 1 priority after safety" even mean? Every cruise line offers a tour to see how the cruise operations works, like all the service lines, engine room, mechanical issues, etc. It's very interesting to people these days.

We are going on the Disney Fantasy in November with a large family who are all engineers LOL! So I guess I can go ahead and tell them to forget any behind the scenes tours, correct? These engineers are a different crowd and are always thinking the technical stuff behind every single event!

As previously noted, the only "backstage" tours are just the galley tour. And even that's not offered on all cruises.

• 2 weeks later...

Basically show means they don't want you to see backstage and have a chance at ruining their image lol. And when pretty much everyone onboard is working at capacity, it can be pretty inconvenient.

At the end of the day, we all know Disney don't want to be like any other cruise line so why would they be any different here?

I'm not arguing. I really don't care either way, I was a cm for 4 yrs. but if I'm honest I don't want to have to keep my guard up when in my own area, on my break, on the way to the mess, do my laundry, just woken up, just because there's a troupe of guests going past on the way to the engine room lol. Amd yes, to get to places like the engine room, you have to go through crew areas.

Who knows why. If they wanted to they would. They obviously don't, so don't. You win some. You lose some.

As for your cruise, good luck. You can ask, but it's more likely it won't happen then it will. If you were going to ask, my advice would be to do it directly to the captain, chief engineer or cruise director. They'll be a better shot than guest services...

I did the Kitchen/Galley tour on an EBTransAtlantic in 2010. It was pretty cool. Open to anyone I think.

Then wife and I went back and under / stage during a Baltic Cruise in 2015. Also very interesting. They use a lot of small spaces very effectively. This might have been advertised at the Gold/Platinum reception . . . which they only have on longer cruises . . . and which makes sense because there isn't much down-time on-stage during the shorter cruises.

And yes, I recommend "Art of the Theme" tours once or twice because the details are in the details.