How much do you tip your butler and cabin attendant on a 12 day cruise?

KMACKCANADA

Have sailed on SS several times and although tipping is included, we always tip both our butler and cabin attendant when we disembark.

Curious what others have to offer in the way of advice for the $ value that would be appreciated by the staff.

We don't tip any staff, it's much better to put money in the Staff Welfare Fund, where it can be used to help all the staff on the ship, and especially those that do not work in Guest facing roles.

That doesn't mean that you should not tip them if you wish, it's up to you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My wife and I have been on three Silversea cruises, ranging from 7 to 16 days. It may not be logical given the variation in lengths of cruises, but each time I've tipped the room steward $100. Because we've never used the services of the butler in any meaningful way, I've never given any of them a tip.

Nothing. SS make it quite clear that it is included in the fare.

They apparently do not make this "quite clear" to crew, many of whom have suggested in various ways that tips would be appreciated. This notwithstanding the fact that my name (and photo?) are on a list in the crew area stating that I have donated to the Crew Welfare Fund. I am guilted into tipping crew, who apparently consider this part of their expected compensation package. I occasionally ask the butler/suite attendant the percentage who tip. The response is generally between 60% and 75%.

I wish luxury lines would raise fares, raise crew wages, and make it a policy (as I am fairly certain it was when I began sailing Seabourn) that crew many NOT accept tips and that accepting a tip is a dismissible offense.

I assume that airlines have similar policies saying that FAs cannot accept tips. On airplanes the protocol is "quite clear."

Being English I hate the whole concept of tipping and so do not do it, especially when it is made plain by the cruise line that it is included in the fare. If you want to say that that makes me mean then feel free, it doesn't bother me in the least.

Peter

We usually give the butler $50 - $100 and the suite steward $20 - $50 depending on what they have done for us. And yes, we know tips are not expected. But they are appreciated, I can assure you.

I occasionally ask the butler/suite attendant the percentage who tip. The response is generally between 60% and 75%.

Umm.... what would you reply if someone asked you? Of course they’re going to tell you that the majority tip. I think the results of the straw poll here indicate otherwise.

At the beginning of our last Transatlantic our butler said the most important thing to him was getting a good review, because if they get a lot of bad reviews their contract won’t be renewed. Working on SS is something they strive for, as the pay and benefit package is better than on other lines.

He added that if there was anything negative we would consider writing on the review, we should tell him first so that he could deal with it at the time. We had wonderful service, wrote an excellent review, and did not tip.

No, but I frequently give the pool waiters and dining room waiters $5 or $10 throughout the cruise. I give the butler $100 and the cabin steward $50 at the end of the cruise. I am from Canada, but I bring USD. I don't think there's a right or wrong here.

It's a completely personal choice whether to tip or not.

It's entirely up to you if you want to tell us how much money you spread around.

Not quite sure why you started this thread?

They apparently do not make this "quite clear" to crew, many of whom have suggested in various ways that tips would be appreciated. This notwithstanding the fact that my name (and photo?) are on a list in the crew area stating that I have donated to the Crew Welfare Fund.

I wonder if people who donate to the Crew Welfare Fund (or tip) early in the cruise experience a different level of service than those who don't?

I wonder if people who donate to the Crew Welfare Fund (or tip) early in the cruise experience a different level of service than those who don't?
I have no idea, but I like to think the service is the same since the cruise line makes it very clear that gratuities are not expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We usually give the butler $50 - $100 and the suite steward $20 - $50 depending on what they have done for us. And yes, we know tips are not expected. But they are appreciated, I can assure you.

We do exactly that.

I start on day 1 making a list of outstanding crew. I add to it each day.

The list is usually quite long!

I write all the names on the mid cruise survey, and also on the end of cruise survey.

We also contribute to the crew fund at the beginning of the cruise ( when we also ask to be removed from the "charity" donation).

I've seen someone who tipped early and large getting a special level of service that made them appear as the biggest joke to the rest of the guests. The best time to contribute to the Crew Welfare fund is on the penultimate day of the cruise, leave it to the last morning and the very busy reception staff will not thank you.