GOOD MORNING VIETNAM.... Live Silver Shadow 25 March 2018

les37b

I've been dying to quote the famous Robin Williams film line.

Well today it's official. As we meander up the mighty Mekong River towards Ho Chi Minh City AKA Saigon, what better way to begin!

GOOD MORNING VIETNAM !

OK.... So I'm now on Day 3 of this cruise but aim to fill in the gaps to date. I can promise not to be as comprehensive as JP or Terry, but will nonetheless have a go at describing this asventure, which so far has been excellent. I'm certainly looking forward to spending a few million today!

And yes, the gopros are set to time lapse capture the journey.

c9856a5f42a21b6e620f10926de9126e.jpg68212e258a49063f9fabe1eb0e338356.jpg

43a3e5dd06142e46cafa74e6685bd6c1.jpg

Edited by les37b

Thanks guys.... Wasn't going to get going until a little latter.... But couldn't help myself.

Exciting times.... Up ahead on the Mekong is none other than the Shadow's twin sister Whisper.... All captured on the forward GoPro of course....

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

05db1ff086c357b4723191463966cdcd.jpg

2982f8a827673df42983f21b664a3906.jpg

Have a great time Les! And, no pics of duck ragout from La Terrazza please. Wes already has me crying from his post earlier today that reminded me I still have 2-1/2 months to go before I can enjoy it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is quite amazing to see how history changes things and sides, and how this affects travelling and cruising. How 1955 became 1975 and then 2018. Back then the U S was the dead enemy of communist Vietnam. Now in reality, the U S is Vietnam's ally and American tourists are warmly welcomed. Despite communist in name, Vietnam is actually a rather free country. On the other hand, emperor Mao has recently been succeeded by emperor Xi. After two decades of Deng's reform and market liberalization, China has turned back to increasing oppression and censorship, together with the characteristic one man rule. What will happen to its cruising industry remains to be seen, it is definitely heading in the unfortunate direction.

Edited by meow!

PS..... Excuse the tyoo in the OP.... Yes the Shadow sailed in the waters of the Mekong Delta.... But sailed the Saigon river... That's what you get for rushing to post at 6 in the morning!

Dear Les

Glad you have fulfilled one of your dreams!:D

How the Saigon River has changed since we last sailed up it to Saigon- seven years ago to be exact. Did you have a chance to go to the Lemongrass Restaurant near the Sheraton hotel in town? On cruise ship days, most of the cognescenti could be found eating there, it was very good food and not that expensive- however with the passage of time it could have changed.

Many thanks for your reviews and your pictures, keep them coming.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Dear Les

Glad you have fulfilled one of your dreams!:D

How the Saigon River has changed since we last sailed up it to Saigon- seven years ago to be exact. Did you have a chance to go to the Lemongrass Restaurant near the Sheraton hotel in town? On cruise ship days, most of the cognescenti could be found eating there, it was very good food and not that expensive- however with the passage of time it could have changed.

Many thanks for your reviews and your pictures, keep them coming.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Hey there ME.. my pleasure.

It's weird because I'd paid for a cellular connection and just handed over the batton for the ships internet and your notification came though. Maybe it's working after all.

Our tour today was a quick in and out so didn't get the chance to do too much and then went on the shuttle.its a crazy place.

I was speaking to the "gentleman guest" on the way in and he commented on how much it had changed. Even further down stream, evidence the benefits of opening up were clear to see with all the new river crossings.

I've not been to Bangkok in 30 years but it sure reminds me of then! Saigon has an impressive skyline in the making.

Yes Les,Stefan says that although the ship is going in for a refit soon she still looks good.

He is a bit surprised to see hamburgers on the MDR menu for the evening meal.

Les what is your take on the cruise director

Sent from my SM-G955F using Forums mobile app

I didn't see burgers on the menu...I would have been surprised too to see that. Are you sure it wasn't the pool bar?

Cruise directed is Kirk... Think he is very good my contact to date. I missed triv today. My team won... I wasn't there! A message maybe!

The Muse is a splendid ship... And I like the extra restaurants and im one of the minority it seems who was fine with reservations.... But I'd pick the Wind over the Muse. And I've seen many say the same thing. I think most will agree the muse is stunning.... So go figure!

Here's some shadow swirly carpet!bc710c19aa71cff3670860fc25c0c4b9.jpg

There ya go... :-)

f41fe35e65ca38570b5c3051ce01f462.jpg

Appreciate these great pictures and details from Les. Did not realize that the Silversea ship can sail all of the way up and UP the Saigon River to reach Ho Chi Minh City itself. Impressive!! As I understand most of the larger ocean ship must dock much farther away from Saigon and require longer coach rides to reach the "prize".

Look forward to learning and seeing much more for all of your stops in Southeast Asia. As noted on my live/blog below, we enjoyed so much that we saw and did in Hanoi, at Ha Long Bay, for Hue/Danang, in Ho Chi Minh City and along the Mekong River, etc.

Les noted: "How the Saigon River has changed since we last sailed up it to Saigon- seven years ago." As boarded our Avalon river ship near the heart of the city last month, we saw so much of the rising skyline there, plus the many bridges and construction along this busy Saigon River.

For those who have not been to Ho Chi Minh City lately, below are a couple of my recent favorites. Many more can be seen on the live/blog. Keep up the great sharing from Les and others with Vietnam experiences.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

In Ho Chi Minh City. this is a view of the first-floor lobby of our Reverie Hotel. Look fancy and high-styled? Yes! Lots of over-the-top marbles and design touches. It's not your "old Saigon" anymore. Just for the one desk shown below, it was custom made in Italy and cost $150,000.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

CMY_0129%202_zpszd1lclbh.jpg

The Rex Hotel, with its great roof-top location is still available to have a drink prior to dinner. The "Five O'Clock Follies" refers to the practice during the Vietnam War of media briefing being held here when journalists did not believe the "spin" and claims being offered.:

CMY_0134%204_zpscdkqchxf.jpg

From the Rex Hotel's roof-top location, here is a view of their lighted City Hall and other nearby buildings.:

CMY_0148%206_zpsencwyvdx.jpg

And traffic is very busy and "wild" in most of the urban and suburban areas of Ho Chi Minh City. It is an amazing "show" weaving in, out and around the cars and trucks by the two-wheeled scooters, bikes, etc.:

CMY_0284%2011_zpsil49h0mn.jpg

Les, the hamburgers were/are definitely on the MDR menu. I remember seeing them on my cruise in January as I was also surprised to see them there. Something about "designer" hamburgers? There were a lot of other choices so we never tried the hamburgers.

Julie

Appreciate these great pictures and details from Les. Did not realize that the Silversea ship can sail all of the way up and UP the Saigon River to reach Ho Chi Minh City itself. Impressive!! As I understand most of the larger ocean ship must dock much farther away from Saigon and require longer coach rides to reach the "prize".

Look forward to learning and seeing much more for all of your stops in Southeast Asia. As noted on my live/blog below, we enjoyed so much that we saw and did in Hanoi, at Ha Long Bay, for Hue/Danang, in Ho Chi Minh City and along the Mekong River, etc.

Les noted: "How the Saigon River has changed since we last sailed up it to Saigon- seven years ago." As boarded our Avalon river ship near the heart of the city last month, we saw so much of the rising skyline there, plus the many bridges and construction along this busy Saigon River.

For those who have not been to Ho Chi Minh City lately, below are a couple of my recent favorites. Many more can be seen on the live/blog. Keep up the great sharing from Les and others with Vietnam experiences.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

In Ho Chi Minh City. this is a view of the first-floor lobby of our Reverie Hotel. Look fancy and high-styled? Yes! Lots of over-the-top marbles and design touches. It's not your "old Saigon" anymore. Just for the one desk shown below, it was custom made in Italy and cost $150,000.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

CMY_0129%202_zpszd1lclbh.jpg

The Rex Hotel, with its great roof-top location is still available to have a drink prior to dinner. The "Five O'Clock Follies" refers to the practice during the Vietnam War of media briefing being held here when journalists did not believe the "spin" and claims being offered.:

CMY_0134%204_zpscdkqchxf.jpg

From the Rex Hotel's roof-top location, here is a view of their lighted City Hall and other nearby buildings.:

CMY_0148%206_zpsencwyvdx.jpg

And traffic is very busy and "wild" in most of the urban and suburban areas of Ho Chi Minh City. It is an amazing "show" weaving in, out and around the cars and trucks by the two-wheeled scooters, bikes, etc.:

CMY_0284%2011_zpsil49h0mn.jpg

Hi Terry, we were in the same spot on the Whisper World Cruise last year, with photos posted.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Will be departing Saigon shortly, so will attempt to get this thread on the road....

Friday 23 March 2018

Approx 10 months after booking following on from our cancelled Spirit Venice cruise, the day finally came round.

Bags already packed and with minor weight adjustment, we set off for our 7pm flight for Singapore from LHR on BA. We pretty much always drive but on this occasion decided to let the train take the strain. Other than the likelyhood of getting M25 holdups, the prospect of driving home when we return after being up for over 30 hours for our night return flight, it made sense to get a taxi home and not risk falling asleep on the motorway. The train worked well and Heathrow express got us to the airport in not much more time than driving would have.

Into Saturday 24 March 2018

The flight departed about 50 late. Uneventful and little sleep, we arrived in Singapore 20 late ready to clear passport control which took over an hour. We were met by the SS rep and whisked off to the Shangri-La hotel just off Orchard Road and arrived about 30 or so minutes later. First impressions of the hotel were good. Nice Lobby and good sized rooms. We showered and got changed and headed out to Gardens the Bay. We had little time obviously. Most things were shut, but we enjoyed the light show and a walk around. We ended the night with a few cooling drinks and satays at “Satay by the Bay”. It’s impressive and should be top of your lists to see while in Singapore IMHO. Reminds me in many ways to Epcot without the rides. Taxi fare was S$13 going and S$17 coming back for a journey in traffic of about 6 miles.

Sunday 25 March 2018.

After a reasonable night sleep in an absolutely corker of a bed at the Shangri La, we got up reasonably refreshed on departure day. We had thought about a revisit to Marina Bay Sands hotel, but didn’t because of our luggage. We did however arrange for our suitcases to go unattended with the main group and make our own way in the taxi. Prior to departure, we decided to go to breakfast which they’ve called “The Line”. As we approached from the escalator we soon saw why. The queue was horrendous with seemingly no movement. We decided to give it a miss and just went to the coffee shop and bought our own. Shortly before it closed, I did re-venture down there to grab another coffee. What I saw was an impressive selection. Anyone staying there, be warned.

I thoroughly recommend a visit to the Garden Wing of the hotel. It looks awesome.

If I am able to post any photos from these places I will, but I’m tied to what we have and now seemingly unable to post photos.

We arrived at the Singapore Cruise centre (AKA Harbourfront) at about 11.45 ready to clear customs and passport control with a pain free experience. Boarding started at 12 and the process was nice and easy.

We were greeted by the CD Kirk as we boarded and he said he was certain he knew me. By reputation only I guess as I know this is our first time with him. He’s certainly a good CD, but more on that later.

Check in was the usual simple quick experience and was completed before we’d finished the first glass of champagne.

End of part one....... And annoyingly I messed up setting up the gopros for the Whispers departure and was already passed before the camera started rolling.... Got our departure all recorded fine. We departed just after 2pm local time and the Whisper 15 minutes before. The Sojourn is still there and can see clearly in the distance not moving yet.

........... Laters.....

PS.... please excuse spooling mistarks and poor grammar...... I’m tapping off the cuff and trying to do so with speed...

Ok, I’ve tried uploading using different devices to the above post... will try again here but it looks like it’s somehow disabled

7db5ea6bcc0cc82071d2be019408b95f.jpg

Hmm maybe this time will be good!

All I have to do now is a bit of photo transferring!

Edited by les37b

Interesting reading your detailed postings. We had been on the Shadow twice and loved it. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=680435 It was a beautiful ship with very personalized service (we even found our own pictures in the galley for the crew to recognize). Back in those days, we had "free flowing" caviar!

Service used to be more "formal" a decade ago. A few months ago, on the Muse, it was more casual, egalitarian, friendly between the staff and passengers. So is the Shadow also becoming like Muse (other than the size) now? Has the Shadow's furnishings been changed to more resemble the Muse?