Any comments on our reserved Cruise Air DFW to ATH, return FCO to DFW

happy cruzer

Hi, I have no experience with these flights. They were a good value (IMHO) thru the cruise line at a little less that $600 each. We will arrive 3 days early for the cruise and depart 2 days after the cruise in mid Oct 2018

DL 5380 DFW JFK dep 945am arr 236pm, layover 2hr 29m, AF 3573 JFK 505pm arr 940am

DL 1044 FCO JFK dep 1035am arr 325pm, layover 2hr 55m, DL 2479 JFK DFW def 620 pm arr 925pm

Any comments.

I'm guessing you don't have Global Entry so expect a slow-ish entry into the US at JFK upon your return, that mid-afternoon time is when a boatload of flights, particularly from Europe come in. You've got plenty of time for your connection and probably some Shake Shack at T4 though...

Thanks for checking this out. So I guess we are Delta all the way! We don't even have a freq flyer account with them. Will have to check out details such as for the luggage. We probably will purchase in the next couple of days to lock in the price. Thanks.

Thanks for checking this out. So I guess we are Delta all the way! We don't even have a freq flyer account with them. Will have to check out details such as for the luggage. We probably will purchase in the next couple of days to lock in the price. Thanks.

Go ahead and enroll in Delta's frequent flyer program. You'll have an account number to link to the ticket and your air miles will be automatically added to your account after you complete your flights. For tickets as cheap as you're getting, you'll probably be getting just half the actual distance miles. Usually international flights allow one 50 pound suitcase for free for coach tickets.

For tickets as cheap as you're getting, you'll probably be getting just half the actual distance miles.

I'm not as au fait with Skymiles as others (I just use my miles for nice champagne in the Skyclubs!) but isn't it purely revenue based now? As a general Skymiles member you'd earn 5 miles per dollar of the actual fare component, which if the total fare is $600 is probably a very small amount! (I am aware the AF codeshare will throw a little weirdness into that calculation)

That's assuming the CruiseAir fare is even eligible for miles earning. You never know what you're getting...

Just be aware that your JFK-ATH flight is actually operated by Delta. The AF3573 flight number is a codeshare designation; it will be shown on the reader boards as DL413.

To the OP: Though very unlikely, DL might get picky and not through-check your bags from DFW to ATH. They should, but if you have separate "tickets" to Athens, they might pull out some obscure rule. The reason why I worry that you might have separate tickets is that a DL ticket would usually just use the DL code for the second segment. This may have just been cobbled together by the cruiseline.

Do you have the actual ticket numbers to check? (13 digit number, not the six character locator)

I'm not as au fait with Skymiles as others (I just use my miles for nice champagne in the Skyclubs!)

TERRIBLE redemption value for those SkyPesos. Since they don't expire, you needn't worry about orphaning for now.

In fact, for using them in such a manner for lousy value, your punishment is to sit in a middle seat in coach. With a screaming baby on one side. And a profusely perspiring person of size on the other.

TERRIBLE redemption value for those SkyPesos. Since they don't expire, you needn't worry about orphaning for now.

Really? I'd actually say the value is rather decent! The other week I got a bottle of Laurent Perrier Rose for 4000 miles which is about $80 retail. I was annoyed they didn't have any Krug at the JFK Skyclub which is 10,000 miles for something I'd buy for about $170/bottle. :D

My wife hates DL with a passion and the only way I could get her to fly DL, and given it was our only option on the very tight time constraints we had, was to fly FC fly JFK-DCA and tell her they had Pappy van Winkel and Krug in the JFK lounge! :D

I fly DL/Skyteam so infrequently now that even though they don't expire I'd rather use them on something I do value (Yes, I'm weird but I do buy Krug to drink at home from time to time!) rather than the moving goalpost that is "saving" up for a Delta premium cabin award now there's no defined award chart. I'm not using Skymiles to fly coach. ha!

If I were flying DL/Skyteam with any regularity I probably would start banking them in a more smart manner, but from my time at Gold Medallion I'm down to about 10,000 or so Skypesos. I am flying Garuda longhaul in business class a couple of times in the next few weeks so that'll top me up a bit, but from where I am saving in Skyteam is largely a waste. BA, AA and oneworld serve me a lot better.

Go ahead and enroll in Delta's frequent flyer program. You'll have an account number to link to the ticket and your air miles will be automatically added to your account after you complete your flights. For tickets as cheap as you're getting, you'll probably be getting just half the actual distance miles. Usually international flights allow one 50 pound suitcase for free for coach tickets.

For most people the free compliment of the 50 pound check bag and the two free carry on is more than sufficient.

For most people the free compliment of the 50 pound check bag and the two free carry on is more than sufficient.

Technically, one carry-on and one personal item. And that is a pretty generous onboard allowance - many non-North American carriers don't include the "personal item" and/or limit you severely with weight/size restrictions.

• 3 months later...
To the OP: Though very unlikely, DL might get picky and not through-check your bags from DFW to ATH. They should, but if you have separate "tickets" to Athens, they might pull out some obscure rule. The reason why I worry that you might have separate tickets is that a DL ticket would usually just use the DL code for the second segment. This may have just been cobbled together by the cruiseline.

Do you have the actual ticket numbers to check? (13 digit number, not the six character locator)

I do now have the 13 digit number. What should I look at? Thanks.