Silversea Doubles-Down for Arctic Cruises??!!

TLCOhio

From the TravelWeekly publication two days ago, they had this headline: Silversea exploring feasibility of simultaneous Arctic cruises with these highlights: Silversea Cruises is in the late stages of planning one of the most ambitious expedition itineraries ever attempted: simultaneous multiweek cruises in both the Canadian and Russian arctics. The feat, to offer so-called Northwest Passage and Northeast Passage cruises in the 2020 summer season, would be unprecedented.

Lots of interesting background and details in this story. Here's a unique aspect: "One of the challenges of a Northeast Passage cruise is that it can't be commercially insured. That means if the cruise has to be aborted because ice has clogged the route, guests won't get full refunds."

Not sure financially we are ready and able to do this type of adventure, but enjoyed reading about the challenges for these types of sailings. Here's another special detail as Silversea got into these types of exploration sailing: "It was a steep learning curve in the early days. On one of its first cruises, the Silver Explorer was forced to give two cases of champagne to another expedition ship in exchange for some 50 gallons of fuel for its Zodiac boats after it ran too many excursions and depleted its supply."

Full story at:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Silversea-exploring-feasibility-of-simultaneous-Arctic-cruises

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 226,685 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks for posting Terry.

Hope the decision is a "go" this fall and this itinerary is released for booking along with the July-December 2020 itineraries.

We plan to book the day it opens for booking, bet it sells out very quickly.

Thanks for posting Terry. Hope the decision is a "go" this fall and this itinerary is released for booking along with the July-December 2020 itineraries. We plan to book the day it opens for booking, bet it sells out very quickly.

And to those considering the Explorer North East passage in 2019 it is a Captain's Choice cruise meaning a whole group of Aussies.

Great to see these responses from both Wes and Dr. Ron. Having Aussies along on this or any cruise always adds to the fun and enjoyment based on our past wonderful experiences traveling with those from Australia. Hopefully Wes can do this sailing and allow us to ride along thanks to his excellent postings.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 39,794 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Crystal did a Northwest Passage Cruise in 2016 and then repeated it in 2017. I followed the 2016 cruise carefully, thinking I might book 2017. I was underwhelmed by the scenery, the stops, etc. It's a far cry from the Antarctic in terms of scenery (for me a stunning environment). Crystal had one good sighting of a polar bear on an ice icefloe -- at least good for those in the zodiac -- and made much of it when advertising 2017. The 2017 sailing was not full.

My husband and I did the Crystal 2017 Northwest Passage and we thought it was hands-down, the best cruise we have ever taken (and this includes about 40 cruises (we cruise on Regent, SS, Crystal and Seabourn) on all 7 continents). We were awed by the scenery (especially in Greenland), saw a number of polar bears, the Aurora Borealis, and loved the expeditions to the small towns along the way.

It is true that 2017 was not full - I think Crystal overestimated the demand based on how fast the 2016 sold out. We even got rebates as the price decreased. When Crystal flew in fresh fruits, vegetables, and meat halfway during the cruise (32 days), we knew we had also gotten the deal of a lifetime.

All this being said, I absolutely loved Antarctica (including the Falklands and South Georgia) and put that almost in its own category. 8 different kinds of penguins and otherworldly scenery....

Thanks both Observer and Janice for your useful feedback.

Also, asked Ralph Grizzle who said he preferred Antarctica w/South Georgia Islands.

Since, I believe will get only one bite at the cold weather expedition itineraries, will go with the Northwest Passage since it is longer.

Tho Scenic sent an interesting offer email Friday; book Antarctica with them and they will provide door-to-door limo service (picking you up at Home transferring you to the airport, and then providing the same service on return). However, their Antarctica voyages are over $25K pp, tough to commit to a new line (and this amount of coin) with no track record--tho Scenic amenities sound good.

We were awed by the scenery (especially in Greenland)

As I recall (perhaps incorrectly) one or more scheduled visits to Greenland by the Crystal 2016 NW Passage cruise were aborted because of weather. I would love to visit Greenland (and take pains to sit on the right side of the airplane and open the shades a bit on westbound transatlantic flights to see the spectacular scenery. I may even someday do a cruise (expedition?) that focuses on that area. But transiting the entire NW Passage to get to Greenland seems a bit wasteful to me.

And indeed Observer, if seeing Greenland were the only reason to transit the NWP, then it would be wasteful to do that. Clearly, this trip is not for you. And lucky you, you have lots of other choices and ways to see Greenland!