Need Great Ideas of clever things to bring

long2cruise

I need some sugesstions on clever things to bring with me. I read somewhere to bring a shoe bag that hangs over the door to put in your sunglasses, tickets, chapstick, all those things you don't remember where you put them. Great Idea. Anyone else have really clever ideas? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I just got off the 9 day Explorer on Sunday and I will share with you the best thing I ever brought, since you actually have mentioned it. It is the 22 CLEAR PLASTIC pocketed-over-the-door bag. I hung it over the outside of the bathroom door.I purchased it in Walmart. Make sure you get the clear plastic pockets so you can see and make sure they are slit at the top, and not the ones that are slit on both sides (don't forget they are made for shoes). They cost me $6.84 and actually my room steward said he had never seen one like that so I gave him ours at the end of the cruise and yesterday bought 3 more for our up coming cruises. In them I put......underwater cameras, digital camera, sunglasses, suntan lotions, batteries, scotch tape/scissors, spa appointments, excersions, coupon books etc. Each pocket was filled and our room was more organized and small things were easy to find.

Also bring lysol wipes to wipe down, knobs, handles, etc. Don't forget that people were living in that room just hours before you got there!!

• Like 2

Best thing I've ever packed is a stash of miniature candy bars. wrap our dollars tip around the bar when we order room service, hand them out to room stewards, waiters, assistant waiters and any other crew members I come across during our voyages.

It's the unexpected thank you when combined with some $$.

You would never believe the smiles and thank you's we get from employees. One crew member who delivered us coffee and danish in the morning on a ship said she remembered us from a prior cruise.

Been doing this for the past 4 or 5 cruises. Always amazed how many crew members look amazed when they receive a small candy bar from someone they've never met before.

Remember, these candies are in addition to the monetary tips we do on board.

Dianne

• Like 5

Best thing I've ever packed is a stash of miniature candy bars. wrap our dollars tip around the bar when we order room service, hand them out to room stewards, waiters, assistant waiters and any other crew members I come across during our voyages.

I use hard candies or some that won't melt! Stash some in a baggie in pocket or purse and hand them out to staff etc at hotels and conventions as well. Again, they love that little perk. And the smile is worth the time spent.

It's the unexpected thank you when combined with some $$.

You would never believe the smiles and thank you's we get from employees. One crew member who delivered us coffee and danish in the morning on a ship said she remembered us from a prior cruise.

Been doing this for the past 4 or 5 cruises. Always amazed how many crew members look amazed when they receive a small candy bar from someone they've never met before.

Remember, these candies are in addition to the monetary tips we do on board.

Dianne

I am going to steal your awesome idea. Love it!!!

I gave the recommended $$ tips and more PLUS I got "souviners" from our hometown!!!!

Post cards, key chains, a picture of our town from the sky, ect.!!! Our steward came to me an hugged me with tears in his eyes!!! I also added a simple handwritten thank you on a note card and he said he loved it...that no one has ever done that for him and that he loved seeing my home as his was so far away and would be so long untill he went back!!! Now that was a nice feeling....he did so well and so much for us that week and all I did was write thank you and give him a picture!!!!! It still gives me goose bumps thinking of his warm genuine hug!!!

Just a thought that worked for me!!!

• Like 4

I use hard candies or some that won't melt! Stash some in a baggie in pocket or purse and hand them out to staff etc at hotels and conventions as well. Again, they love that little perk. And the smile is worth the time spent.

See you are from Marion, OH. DH was born in Marysville. I'm from Richwood. We were both born at Marion Hospital in 1947, long before it was known as Marion General Hospital.:D

I take hard candies as well as chocolate bars -- but we get the biggest smiles from the chocolate candy since the crew knows it's hard to transport it from home to ship.

I watch out for Hershey's special kisses prior to a cruise, i.e., Hershey's produces mint flavored chips around St. Pat's day, cherry flavored chips around Valentine's Day, etc.

Kit Kat bars seem to be the favorite of crew on all the ship's we sailed over the past few years.

Dianne

• Like 2

The best thing that I ever saw that someone brought (and I have to admit that I peeked down onto their balcony to see it) was that they had brought with them (obviously they had cruised many times before) a small line and clothespins. How sloppy and unorganized does the stateroom/suite get when there are wet clothes draped over the tub and shower? Definately something that I'll bring next cruise..They hung it very low on the balcony so it didn't obstruct the view or look sloppy!

• Like 1

I am going to steal your awesome idea. Love it!!!

No problem. You're not taking my idea but taking it to the next step.:)

When I pass out my candy I always tell them ``thank you'' in person and sometimes I'm out on deck around the pool with a chocolate candy ready for the first drink steward that comes my way.

Words can not describe the smiles we receive for the ``unexpected'' chocolate tip.

Word of warning, don't store the chocolate in your pocket aboard ship unless you know you will be delivering it within the next few minute. Been there, done that. Have the shorts to prove it.:D

Dianne

See you are from Marion, OH. DH was born in Marysville. I'm from Richwood. We were both born at Marion Hospital in 1947, long before it was known as Marion General Hospital.:D

I take hard candies as well as chocolate bars -- but we get the biggest smiles from the chocolate candy since the crew knows it's hard to transport it from home to ship.

I watch out for Hershey's special kisses prior to a cruise, i.e., Hershey's produces mint flavored chips around St. Pat's day, cherry flavored chips around Valentine's Day, etc.

Kit Kat bars seem to be the favorite of crew on all the ship's we sailed over the past few years.

Dianne

Both my parents are from Marion, & my mom and grandma still live there now. Small world!

ok since we are listing.... a few more......post-it notes/note pad for notes to family or room steward, a power strip (only one outlet in a room) and extension cord (if necessary). a first aid kit (the medic is $$$$$)

• Like 1

Both my parents are from Marion, & my mom and grandma still live there now. Small world!

Very small world. When DH & I grew up, Marion and Marysville were our world. Anything beyond those places we read about in newspapers or learned about on black & white TV.:D

Marion area is beautiful country. We live only about 25 minutes away now and enjoy going ``back home'' as often as possible.:cool:

Dianne

Since I have small boys and the room is always dark (except this time I have a balcony) but I still will use this. I always take a glade plug in with a nitelite it makes your room smell fresh and gives a little light when needed you can also get them with the extra outlets on them which we all need.

Also helpful is a small power strip if extra outlets is needed. We also love those pop up clothes hampers they fold pretty small and when needed they just pop up. Also those of us with dirty little boys know that washing of swimwear is almost always needed so bring detergent in little containers from home. You can use the laundry or handwash in room. I have more but I'll have to think on it:cool:

April

Mariner Nov 26th 2006

• Like 1

I love the idea of the chocolate and the souviener from home - great touch. I will add this to my list on the next trip in October.

We take Yankee Candle plug in for the room - smells cozy when you enter.

Clothes pin hanging clips for bathing suits. We hang this on the back of the chair on the balcony to dry to keep some of the mess out of the bathroom.

Extra trash bag for dirtys we keep in the bottom of the closet. When you pack they do not get comingled with the clean ones.

Neck lanyard with plastic pouch for seapass card. (Have also seen some punch a hole in the card and clip it to the lanyard or elastic arm band.)

Waterproof bag to hold camera, money, etc. when going to the beach. It hangs easily around the neck and saves the hassle of worrying if your stuff will get stolen. These can be had in the camping section of most sporting stores. Works great on some of the more extrenuous excursions.

Rain panchos, cheap and also avail. in sporting goods/camping. These worked out great on one excursion when it was raining. Cheap enough you can toss with one use.

Thermal coffee cup - you can fill up in Windjammer in the am and have hot coffee for the whole stroll around the deck. Works great later for a 'to go' cold beverage.

Tide spot pin and Spray & Wash stick. You can get out the small stain with the stick and pretreat your very dirties with the S&W so they are ready for the wash when you get home.

Dollar store sunglasses - many - cause you know you will leave a pair somewhere during the week.

I agree with the power outlet although we have never taken. We kept our phones plugged in and charged, video & dig camera batteries & the everloving travel curlers and walkie talkies.

Walkie Talkies are for keeping up with each other on board, but can be irritating if abused. They have come in handy on land for us too.

Underwater disposable camera and disposable Advantix camera

Sun visors & baseball hats since everyday aboard is not a good hair day and there is a lot of sun that you should keep off your face. Visor works better for the ladies since it doesnt give you a 'hat head' with your hairdoo and works to keep the sweat at bay.

You shouldnt need the bungie cord since the door sliders have a break you can apply by twisting the handle downward to lock it in place. I could see where this would be great to strap luggage to each other.

• Like 3

The best thing that I ever saw that someone brought (and I have to admit that I peeked down onto their balcony to see it) was that they had brought with them (obviously they had cruised many times before) a small line and clothespins. How sloppy and unorganized does the stateroom/suite get when there are wet clothes draped over the tub and shower? Definately something that I'll bring next cruise..They hung it very low on the balcony so it didn't obstruct the view or look sloppy!

We brought clothespins on our last cruise; pretty helpful.

My BF is really sensitive to the recycled air, so bad that he can't even breathe at night without wheezing and sneezing. I bought a small Ionic Breeze, the bathroom size. I plug it in and voila, instant fresh air. has no sinus problems whatsoever now. We never leave home without it!

• Like 1

I always take and use a small clothes line and pins, bought it in the fishing section at Walmart for $1.25, five cruises ago. ( My sister has taken it on her holidays three times also. !! ) It's in a small case that reels out. Best thing I have ever bought. ;)

• Like 1

Target has had twisted elastic clotheslines in their $1 bins recently.......you hang these up, then, instead of using clothespins, you slip the corners of your clothing through the twists of the elastic cord.

I had seen these on a popular travel website and planned to order one, which was going to be about $15 with shipping........so glad I saw them at Target first!!

• Like 1