Go with Gus.....follow up from 8 years ago

monicajay

In 2006 we did a Go with Gus tour and visited a school in the rain forest, Livingston and the river tour. My DD who was only 13 at the time was so marked by her experience that she has learned Spanish and is doing her Bachelor of Education in teaching English as a second language.

She wanted to do a volunteer experience this semester but most of the organizations that do this wanted a lot of money. She sent an e-mail to Gus and he offered to host her and set it all up with a local school.

His cousin picked her up at GUA airport and took her to the bus station and another relative met her at the bus station and brought her by boat to Livingston.

It is unfortunate that NCL no longer goes to this port. HAL is still going with the Ryndam. They so need the income from tourism.

All this to say that Gus is an amazing guy and when choosing a tour this should be taken into consideration. I would never have believed 8 years ago that my daughter would end up going back for 2 months.

A happy cruising story.

Hi! I have to second that. My wife and I did the same tour in October 2009. What an experience. First class tour and Gus and his staff are great. We were going to go in October 2010 on the Ryndam but were devirted by a storm, after that the Ryndam stopped going there. The Ryndam started going again and we will be there in March. This was the best tour we ever went on and got the same from other people on that tour. Great for your daughters educational experience.

• 1 month later...

Gus is alive and well and still doing tours. In fact, we went with him on the Humanitarian Tour in December 2012. The whole day was a wonderful experience, from the brief tour he gave of his hotel in Livingston to the distribution of the gifts to the children, to the delightful lunch at the hotel and walking tour of his town, and the river boat trip.

The value was excellent for the experience we got. I had no qualms about sending our check since I had read such great reviews of him and his tour right here--CC has a lot of influence! The address is his son's in Georgia and apparently is used because of the banking difficulties in Guatemala.

I went on the HAL Ryndam and had been to Guatemala in the past on another Holland America cruise. It is an interesting port and yes, it is a shame that more cruise lines don't stop there!

Gus is alive and well and still doing tours. In fact, we went with him on the Humanitarian Tour in December 2012. The whole day was a wonderful experience, from the brief tour he gave of his hotel in Livingston to the distribution of the gifts to the children, to the delightful lunch at the hotel and walking tour of his town, and the river boat trip.

The value was excellent for the experience we got. I had no qualms about sending our check since I had read such great reviews of him and his tour right here--CC has a lot of influence! The address is his son's in Georgia and apparently is used because of the banking difficulties in Guatemala.

I went on the HAL Ryndam and had been to Guatemala in the past on another Holland America cruise. It is an interesting port and yes, it is a shame that more cruise lines don't stop there!

We spent the day with him last week, off the Ryndam. He is going to be a grandfather again, soon!

Great trip. Perfect!

We spent the day with him last week, off the Ryndam. He is going to be a grandfather again, soon!

Great trip. Perfect!

Did you see my daughter, Rebecca? She was at Gus' hotel helping out. She left yesterday and is already planning another trip back to Livingston.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get in touch with him? I've had a problem, despite trying several email addresses and a phone number. I'm wondering if he is just filled up on the day we are interested, and isn't bothering to answer. Hmmm...

gustavo.turcios@gmail.com

He is never full. He just finds another boat. You will have a wonderful experience if you book with Gus.

Edited by monicajay

We would love to do this tour how do we get in contact with Gus?

In 2006 we did a Go with Gus tour and visited a school in the rain forest, Livingston and the river tour. My DD who was only 13 at the time was so marked by her experience that she has learned Spanish and is doing her Bachelor of Education in teaching English as a second language.

She wanted to do a volunteer experience this semester but most of the organizations that do this wanted a lot of money. She sent an e-mail to Gus and he offered to host her and set it all up with a local school.

His cousin picked her up at GUA airport and took her to the bus station and another relative met her at the bus station and brought her by boat to Livingston.

It is unfortunate that NCL no longer goes to this port. HAL is still going with the Ryndam. They so need the income from tourism.

All this to say that Gus is an amazing guy and when choosing a tour this should be taken into consideration. I would never have believed 8 years ago that my daughter would end up going back for 2 months.

A happy cruising story.

• 2 months later...

We just got back from a wonderful cruise on the Zuiderdam, from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver. I had asked about Gus and wanted to report our experience in Guatemala. I did, indeed, get in touch with Gus, and he sent the information that we needed. We booked him and prepaid for his Humanitarian Tour. Well, it didn't work out so well. We never did find either Gus or the tour guide, and THEY LEFT WITHOUT US. Another tour guide saw our dismay, and came to our rescue. She called Gus, who admitted that we had paid him, and that he had forgotten us. She then volunteered to get together a group of eight people and give us a tour to Antigua. She did a fabulous job. She was knowledgeable, kind, interesting, and interested in what we wanted to see. Her name is Rita de Ponce and she is the general manager of VIAJES de GUATEMALA (aka The Blue Team). She and her son were manning the tour desk. I can't say enough about her and what she did for us. For anyone interested, the website is: http://www.viajesdeguatemala.com

• 3 weeks later...
We just got back from a wonderful cruise on the Zuiderdam, from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver. I had asked about Gus and wanted to report our experience in Guatemala. I did, indeed, get in touch with Gus, and he sent the information that we needed. We booked him and prepaid for his Humanitarian Tour. Well, it didn't work out so well. We never did find either Gus or the tour guide, and THEY LEFT WITHOUT US. Another tour guide saw our dismay, and came to our rescue. She called Gus, who admitted that we had paid him, and that he had forgotten us. She then volunteered to get together a group of eight people and give us a tour to Antigua. She did a fabulous job. She was knowledgeable, kind, interesting, and interested in what we wanted to see. Her name is Rita de Ponce and she is the general manager of VIAJES de GUATEMALA (aka The Blue Team). She and her son were manning the tour desk. I can't say enough about her and what she did for us. For anyone interested, the website is: http://www.viajesdeguatemala.com

When did you show up? The kiosk is *right there* when you get off of the ship, with more than ample signage, so I have to think that you were late in arriving. The trip is a very full day... there were times when I grew concerned about getting back to the ship on time. If you were late, I think Gus was right in leaving without you. Everyone else should not have to either be rushed, or miss some of the sites, because passengers are late in arriving.